Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy Homemaker Monday

Happy Homemaker Monday

Happy Monday Friends! 


And Happy New Year 2017!! I can't believe another year has FLOWN by already. But I'm really excited about this new one ahead. I'm ready to fill it up with wonderful moments and memories all its own. We had a lovely New Year's weekend over here.  First of all on Friday, I had my girlfriends over for our post Xmas gathering we do every year. We've been doing this since we were in high school folks! Yep, 28 years and counting. I'm SO blessed!! We had a ball sipping on hot toddy's, munching lots of good nibbles, gabbing away, and enjoying our ugly sweaters (part of our theme this year - see photos later in post). 


Then Hubby & I had friends over for NYE and played games and ate and drank a bit too much and just soaked up the last of 2016 for all it was worth! Lol  Then we totally lounged and lazied it up yesterday just as a family. Grazed on leftovers all day. Watched some movies and some football. Stayed in pj's. Just pure heaven. My kiddos don't go back to school until tomorrow....so we have one more day of fun before back to reality. Annie and I plan to go run around and do a bit of shopping with my Mom later. We're going to use some gift cards and see what post holiday deals we can find and just have some girlie fun! 


It's been such a lovely holiday season and I hate to see it end. However, I'm excited about jumping into 2017 with both feet and tackling some things I want to accomplish! Bring it on!! 




THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:


Gray and cloudy and looks like it's going to snow. Milder temps now, but supposed to get really cold again later in the week.









ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:


Peanut butter & honey toast with cinnamon and a cup of coffee.










RIGHT NOW I AM:


Listening to Eva Cassidy radio on Pandora (missing Xmas music already - Lol)    








AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

We got a little bit of new snow and I can see some on the trees outside my office window.





AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:



I did some laundry and need to throw the dishes in the dishwasher, but otherwise not too bad around here.










ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Dishes, some tidying up, and go have fun with my girls doing some shopping. Then snuggle in with my family tonight for a nice meal before my kiddos head back to school tomorrow. 


I'm also thinking about my new year's plans for myself. I don't really do "resolutions" so to speak, but I like having a guideline and motivational word or thoughts that help me get excited about the time ahead. This year I'm thinking along the lines of the word "Do" - and specifically I'm thinking of this: 


"Love what you do" and "Do what you love" 

For example: For love what I DO - I want to work towards health -just being healthier as a rule, setting an example for my kiddos etc. I also want to be an even better wife and Mom. Get my house more organized...you get the idea. But I want to do it all with some love and joy in my heart. Sometimes those areas can get difficult, but I want to think in the terms of loving whatever it is I am doing. Finding the joy & blessings & grateful heart in it all. 


Also, to go DO what I love. To get out and embrace the new endeavors for myself. Since I"m not caregiving this year like I was - I have more freedom to "DO" in different ways that I get to choose. Like opening an Etsy store, volunteering in hospice etc. I'm so excited about this part of my "DO" philosophy this year!! 

 









CURRENTLY READING:


Currently reading a fun Debbie Macomber book called Dashing Through the Snow. (still finishing this book)






ON THE TV TODAY:


I still have some movies and cooking shows taped. I haven't really looked at what's taped from our regular series we tape. Most of them have been on a break due to the holidays.












ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:


MONDAY: leftovers from New Years (BBQ shredded chick sandwiches, mac & cheese, veggies, fruit, chips & dip, homemade twix bars, cookies, pie)






TUESDAY: breakfast for dinner






WEDNESDAY: baked stuffed pork chops (froze & didn't make them last week), veggie pasta salad 







THURSDAY: son's hockey game - probably easy food out 

But doing a belated Xmas/New Year's tea luncheon with my Mom and Aunt this day. Menu will be chicken salad croissant sandwiches and chicken wild rice soup, veggies, fruit salad, chips, almond bars, and a frozen ice cream/pound cake recipe I plan to try.






FRIDAY: homemade pizza, salad 















WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I'm working on a wreath for my daughter's room that will match her new bedspread. I'll share in the near future. (I'm actually finally putting this together this week!)







NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

I can share homemade twix bars recipe from new years.  I also made toffee apple dip for the girlfriend gathering & shared that on my instagram, but could share that again too.  And I may make a new cake recipe for the belated Xmas/New year's tea luncheon with my Mom & Aunt.







TIP OF THE WEEK:

I think I've shared this before, but it works so well I'll share it again. If you're going to serve apple slices (like with dip) or for anything else... toss them in a bit of pineapple juice first. The juice will evaporate and dry off them quickly. It won't change the flavor of the apples and they WILL NOT turn brown! Works like a charm every time. 


 



FROM THE CAMERA:
pretty sunset on New Year's Eve night


Funny ugly sweaters from our girlfriend Xmas night. We said we had to wear ugly sweaters this year.  Our gift theme (we bring one gift to the party with that theme and we all pass one to the left and exchange that way) was "Christmas lights" and so I took that to heart when I picked out my ugly sweater too and made sure it could light up. Plus, I brought Jesus to the party of course. So I found a nativity one that was quite "ugly" in that Jesus looked like an elf, Joseph had a santa hat on, the wisemen were penguins and there was a rudolph with light up nose enjoying the proceedings. Lol  

These have been my besties (& one friend missing as she lives in California now) for MANY years and I love and treasure them all! We called our friend in California during the party so she could be part of the fun too.




Apples and toffee dip from the girlfriend party. 






On New Year's day Annie was sledding on our hill with her buddy and then Ruby and I went out to enjoy the sunset. Some really pretty ones this weekend on the bay.



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

Happy shiny brand new year from the Northwoods my dear sweet Friends!! 

I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.



11 comments:

  1. Oh my, Carrie!
    I loved lingering through this post.
    Your New Year is off to a good start!
    Enjoy the fresh start and I am missing Christmas music too!
    Happy New Year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that pineapple juice tip. I usually do lemon juice but it does give a bit of flavor to them. Love your word choice/philosophy for the new year. This grinch will also confess to maybe missing the Christmas music as well (just a little though). Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of staying in touch with high school friends. I missed that, because I was the one who moved to California.

    And I'm still laughing about the Feel the Joy sweater. Priceless.

    Don't know about you, but I'm tired. This last week was frantic. I ran more than I walked.

    Ironing today and watching Hallmark Mystery Movies. I have a mountain of napkins and placemats.

    Happy Week, Dear One.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had the perfect New Year's weekend. All of it sounds like so much fun!

    I LOVE those sunset pictures and the ugly sweaters are too fun! Where in the world did you fins an ugly nativity sweater like that?

    Hope you had a great girls day! Have a great week and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great weekend! I'm missing Christmas music too. I make a toffee apple dip too that is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! "Feel the Joy" ... had to take a double look on that one!! So funny. I'm glad you get together with your besties from high school. I do the same thing, although what used to be our annual Christmas has slowly been shifted to a "better weather" gathering (we're all getting older and admit that none of us enjoy driving a distance in the snow/ice!). There are four of us in our group too and one who also moved to California! But the four of us were the best of the besties. We usually go to a restaurant and sit together for hours and hours and apologize to the waiters for our long stay. It sure takes a long time to catch up, doesn't it? You all look great and so happy together.
    Happy New Year Carrie! Here's to another great year :)
    Wendy xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the toffee apple dip sounds delicious!!
    Hope you are having a wonderful week.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those ugly sweaters are so fun, especially your 'light-up' one, Carrie! I love that you still get together with all your friends from high school! Your New Year's word, 'Do' is perfect for motivation. Such pretty scenes out your windows and hanging out at home in jammies is such a nice way to spend a winter day. The caramel apple dip looks so yummy. I am having a hard time putting away my Christmas decorations this year and really miss the Christmas music, too. I suppose it gives us something nice to look forward to next year. So exciting that you might open an Etsy shop! I hope 2017 is a wonderful year for you and your family. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!! The snow photos are just lovely! The sweater pics made me smile ;-) That's a great tip with the pineapple juice and apples I will have to try that. Working on New Years resolutions here too, but trying to go with the flow and not put too much pressure on myself. Little changes are good, lol. Started the Whole 30 this week so have been featuring it on my blog, it keeps me accountable ;-) Snow is in our forecast for tonight into Saturday and the Southerners are panicking, lol. Oddly we went to the store last night and all the potatoes were sold out! You always guess that milk and bread may be but potatoes?? That's a new one, especially if you lose electricity what would you do with them? LOL Have a wonderful weekend! Stay warm.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your New Years sounds like it was so fun! How did you like the Debbie Macomber book? Your homemade Twix :::gasp::: Love those things.

    ReplyDelete