Thursday, October 22, 2015

Comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup



Soup is a lot like a family. Each ingredient enhances the others; each batch has its own characteristics; and it needs time to simmer to reach full flavor.


I thought today I would share this recipe for cozy comforting chicken noodle soup. It's a perfect time of year for soups and this one is nice and easy because you make it in your slow cooker.  So while the leaves blow blustery outside this can be simmering away inside ready to warm the soul!


Chop up some onion, carrots and celery.


Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker and top with the chopped veggies.



Add 3 tbsp of olive oil.



Add garlic, dried seasonings, salt & pepper,  and bay leaf.  I also added poultry seasoning which the recipe didn't call for, but I think if you're not using a homemade chicken stock especially - then a flavor boost is nice. Bouillon could be added too.



Pour in chicken broth, or homemade stock. The next time I roast a chicken I'm going to make my own stock with the bones. I'll add the bones to crock pot with some veggies and seasonings and place on low all night and wake up to homemade stock I can strain and use in the next soup or other dish. Yummier than carton stock!






Mix together and add fresh parsley, or you can add parsley at the end. I added it right away and cooked on low 6 to 7 hours.



Then remove chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks and place back in slow cooker.


Then I added in the egg noodles, that boiled separately, right when I was almost ready to serve. You can add them uncooked at the end of your cooking time, but I've had mine get mushy on me that way before.  Then ladle it up and enjoy!  Here's the full recipe from familyfreshmeals.com :

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1.       In a 6 quart crockpot place whole chicken breasts on the bottom and top with , carrots, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf.
2.       2. Next add in chicken broth, water, and season with salt and pepper to taste. I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3.       Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours
4.       Remove cooked chicken breasts and cut into bite sized pieces. Place chicken back in to the crockpot. Now add in egg noodles and parsley.

5.Cover and cook just until noodles are tender, 5-10 minutes







8 comments:

  1. You're chicken soup is a lot like mine Carrie! I love soup, almost every kind imaginable, and for me that's the best thing about my slow cooker :).

    Love that quote, but in my case it's more like 'family is like a bag of nuts' ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Love this Doreen. Completely chuckled out loud - but I shouldn't as I could say some of the same about my family! ;) xo

      Delete
  2. This soup looks delicious Carrie :) We just finished the last of our Thanksgiving turkey having made two turkey pot pies, hot turkey sandwiches and now the bones have been boiled down for stock too. I usually make turkey soup, but not this time. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds so good Wendy!! Our turkey time will be coming up soon! Yum!! ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks soooo yummy!! I don't know what I'd do without my crock pot!! Have to add this to my list of things to try...great meal for those cold snowy evenings. Yep...I said it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - no s*word allowed over here! Lol
      Actually the weatherman was talking about potential for Wed. Think I'll cry. NOT ready yet!!!

      Soup does hit the spot on those kinds of nights tho - definitely agree. Lol
      Xo

      Delete
  4. That recipe is very similar to mine. I'm ready for some good soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup just "goes" with this time of year, doesn't it? Love comfort food when it gets chilly. ;)

      Delete