Monday, October 12, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday

HHM


I'm back!! 

I missed you my blogland Friends. I got around to visiting some of you during the week I was gone, but I know I still have more catching up to do. It feels good to get back to my routine, although having our special Uncle Don visit was wonderful!! We packed a lot of fun into one week....which also included a road trip to Green Bay (home of the Packers) to have some fun with relatives there too. We didn't go to the Packer game (they won - yay!!), but we did go to a Green Bay Gamblers hockey game. And the road trip there was GORGEOUS as the colors are about peak right now. It was all lots of fun and went really fast.  

I'm ready now to get back to my routine and jump into this week.


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Definitely cooler than yesterday. It was beautiful yesterday and hit about 80* out! Today started out sunny but breezy. Now the winds are picking up and blowing in the clouds so it's getting pretty gray out there.  It's supposed to maybe rain a little later and hit high 50's or maybe hit 60* today.


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

I had a piece of whole wheat toast and some pumpkin spice coffee with natural bliss hazelnut creamer. 


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

I can see the beautiful colorful trees waving around in the wind. The leaves that have dropped on our hill are swirling around at times, and the gray cloudy back drop makes it all look quite dramatic - and pretty.  If Pooh bear were here he'd say it's a blustery sort of day. Lol


RIGHT NOW I AM:

Relaxing as I sip my hot water with lemon and coconut oil (great health benefits) as I type this and watch the Today show. I'm also listening to the wind blow the leaves around as my wind chime sings out a constant song. My Mom took my MIL all day today so I could have a catch up day from all the traveling recently (so nice!) and I will take care of my MIL then all day tomorrow. I really could use this catch up day so I'm very grateful and ready to accomplish a lot!  


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Pretty tidy from being gone all weekend (my Mom stayed here with Ruby and "held down the fort" for us). Definitely have laundry to catch up on and some other "trip related debris" to put away. Lol  We didn't get home until last night so everyone left things were they were just to rest and decompress before going to bed and regroup to face a new busy week. 



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

House chores, catch up on my newspapers that have accumulated, tidy up some craft area things (& finish project to hopefully share this week), then go wash my car (lots of bugs on windshield from trip) and grab groceries for the week.



CURRENTLY READING:

I finished my Susan Branch book (it was SO GOOD!!) and I'm now reading Alice Sebold's  Lucky right now. It's kind of a dark memoir, but I find her a very fascinating writer. I read The Lovely Bones, several years ago, that she wrote and it was just a wonderfully haunting book (be a great one to read this time of year if you haven't). They made that one into a movie with, I think it was Stanley Tucci, but I never saw it.  I think I picked up this "Lucky book" at our local library's yearly sale a while back. It's been sitting in my nightstand so decided to dig in. 


ON THE TV TODAY:

We caught a few of our shows in the hotel this weekend, but we have The Amazing Race to catch up on and I have some Hallmark Movies taped and some cooking shows. I watched The Good Wife last night - goodness I LOVE that show!!!



ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: my hubby is requesting corn dogs (don't know why- Lol) and we'll just do chips, pasta salad, raw veggie platter with it. I have wallyball so I'll go get some exercise to make up for all the eating I did this weekend!! 

TUESDAY: meatloaf, cheesy potatoes, green beans and dinner rolls

WEDNESDAY: slow cooker homemade chicken noodle soup, ham & cheese roll-ups

THURSDAY: leftovers or easy pick up as my Crew has hockey and my daughter has volleyball this night...plus it's my birthday so I'll take a break from cooking

FRIDAY: french toast casserole with cinnamon apples and sausage/bacon

* I picked up a mix I'll bake this week for pumpkin bars with a gingerbread crust 



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Working on a Halloween decoration, plus I have some jewelry projects lined up! Also, picked up a fun kid's stitching project book with my daughter and there's some fun things we'll be working on together.


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

Nothing is a really new recipe, but will probably share chicken noodle soup recipe this week or corn chowder one I made a previous week or both.


TIP OF THE WEEK:

Try drinking a cup of warm water in the morning with some lemon juice and coconut oil in it. I still need my coffee in the AM, but I'm now trying to drink this warm coconut drink later in the AM for its health benefits. Both lemon and coconut are fat flushers, plus the lemon has huge vitamin C benefits and the coconut will give you an energy boost. I keep a big jar of raw, cold pressed organic coconut on oil for it's wonderful health properties - from a hair mask to helping my rough feet and heels get better. I pinned some of this info on my pinterest page here. - here's a passage:

Coconut oil is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and may even be able to fight the spread of cancer. There are many uses for coconut oil. It can kill a wide range of infections, and may also help your body get rid of parasites like lice and tapeworms. It can kill certain viruses, and your body can easily digest it to absorb all its nutrition. And of course it is natural and side-effect free.

FROM THE CAMERA:

Here are some photos of some of the Fall beauty by my house and on our road trip to Green Bay as well as some of the fun we had with Uncle Don:













PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. 

Hebrews 11:6

I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

20 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures! I will definitely try the lemon and coconut oil water. Cannot wait to see which soup recipe you will share!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanna. :)
      Even if you put the coconut oil in your coffee it's pretty good too. Adds a nice flavor and you get some of the benefits.
      Blessings on your week. xo

      Delete
  2. Hi - Loved reading this varied and interesting post. I made myself a pumpkin spice latte last week. It was ok. Tomorrow we are going into the City so I will have my favourite - a Starbucks pumpkin spice. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan!
      I love those yummy drinks too. There always better than the homemade ones - same with my chai lattes too.
      Hope you have a lovely week. :)
      xo

      Delete
  3. Looks and sounds like a great visit! What a blessing!
    Haven't heard of coconut oil and lemon but sounds intriguing! My husband teases me for all the different ways I use coconut oil so I might as well add that to the list!
    Halloween decor and jewelry sound like fun projects!!!
    Not sure why because I'm from the East Coast but the Packer's have always been me and my dad's second favorite team so Go Packers! ;)
    By the way, I checked out Joshua Bell... amazing! Thanks for suggesting him. We are lucky to have a great classical radio station so I usually just keep that station on all day but wow, that violin music was a beautiful change!
    Glad to have you back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!
      I love that you're a coconut oil fan too, but I thought you were a kindred soul and now I know why....because you love my Packers too! Lol ;)
      Glad you're liking the Joshua Bell station. He is so amazing. I absolutely loved the movie "Ladies in Lavender" and part of it was I LOVED the violin music (it was about a violinist) and it was all Joshua Bell's playing.

      Have a lovely week my Dear! xo

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a really fun visit. Great family pictures.

    I'm so envious of your weather and colors right now - really miss living in that area, especially at this time of year, a few months from now, not so much LOL.

    I use coconut oil exactly like you do. I buy the big combo at Costco and then make small containers full for the bathroom, the nightstand, etc... Have a great week as you settle back in from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamy !
      I wish I could put our Fall in a box (smells, colors, geese flying etc) and ship it right to you. :)

      Great minds think alike about coconut oil I guess. Lol
      Have a lovely week!! xo

      Delete
  5. Welcome back Carrie! How nice to hear you had a great time with Uncle Don, and I'm sure he enjoyed his time with your family as well (sure looks like it!).

    I have coconut oil in my pantry, but rarely use it which is silly of me, I know. I've never heard of using it in water though, and that sounds interesting to me.

    I think I know what project you're working on for Halloween ;). Hope it turns out as you hope, and looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen!
      I'd suggest even trying a little coconut oil in your coffee - it adds a nice flavor, and will give you some health benefits. ;)

      I did a little paper craft decoration - but the pumpkin plan is still planned in the future so stay tuned. Lol
      Have a great week Sweetie! xo

      Delete
  6. Welcome back! I'm glad you had a good week. I enjoyed your photos!
    I don't drink coffee but I do drink a cup of hot water every morning. I haven't tried the coconut oil, but keep hearing how good it is for you. I have to get past the yuck I feel about ingesting oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari!
      I think if you put it in your hot water (or even tea) and maybe add a splash of milk with the coconut oil you might like it better then. :)
      Have a great week Hon! xo

      Delete
  7. Hi Carrie - glad you are back! Looks like you had a great time with Uncle Don and the family! It was nice of your Mom to help out with house-sitting and helping with your MIL for the day to give you a little break. I have been cooking a lot of soups lately and always love to find a new recipe, so looking forward to that. I loved Alice Sebold's book, 'The Lovely Bones'. It was a book we passed around the family and it was the last movie I saw with my Mom. I haven't read 'Lucky', but have it on my ever growing list. I've made lotion with coconut oil, but have not used it in cooking or drinks yet. I love the smell of it :) Love the photos today. You really have some beautiful autumn color! Sending hugs and blessings xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen!
      Soups are just the best this time of year, aren't they? ;)
      I really loved that book, although never saw the movie. The book was kind of haunting and stuck with me for quite a while afterwards.
      I haven't actually cooked with coconut oil either - but it's supposed to be great for that as it has a high smoke point. I was thinking I might attempt popcorn on the stove with it the future.
      Have a lovely week and many blessings to you Hon! xo

      Delete
  8. So glad that you had such a great time with your Uncle Don! Sounds as though it was a lot of fun and you got to do some great things together. I hope that you have a great week ahead. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It was a great visit. Hope you're having a great week Sweetie!
      Blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  9. It's been crazy windy around here too, so much so that the other morning my back porch doors flew open, scaring me and my son LOL

    What lovely pictures, so glad you had a good time with your Uncle Don. Glad to see you back though.

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra!
      Yikes! That would have scared me too, especially since you and I both seem to like a lot of ghost and haunted shows and I know that can make me more jumpy sometimes. Lol
      We did have a great visit with Don, but I'm glad to be back with my blogland folks. Missed you all!
      Have a wonderful week my Friend! xoxo

      Delete
  10. So glad you’re back…missed ya too!! Sounds like a wonderful visit, how fun!! I haven’t tried the coconut oil thing, but have read about the benefits. I use it in my daughter’s hair for conditioning, and it works well for that.

    I have only seen the first episode of the Good Wife for this season, I just love all the characters in that show, especially Eli!!

    Just now making the blog rounds, had a hectic week. Enjoy your weekend dear friend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always love these posts of yours. I drink hot water with lemon but didn't know about the coconut oil. Will try it (I've been using olive oil on my feet: it works wonders!). So pleased you had a wonderful time with your Uncle Don (he certainly looked like he was enjoying himself!).....here's to a great week this week. Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete