Friday, October 23, 2015

Five on Friday: Preparing for Hibernation

Happy Friday Friends! 


This week flew by for me - hope it was a fun fast week for you too! Hooray for the weekend ahead!! The weather has been getting colder around here, and more and more leaves fall from the trees everyday. I have been smelling the wonderful musky smell of wood smoke from a neighbor's stove almost daily. All signs that we're coming to that hibernation time of year up here in my northwoods. So today I wanted to share how I've been nesting around my home and getting ready to settle in for the hibernation time ahead.


ONE


I've been slowly accumulating, and stocking up on, all things cold and flu season. My daughter has been sick a bit recently so I've already been spraying my lysol and disinfecting with wipes! 



TWO



I know it's not exactly related to hibernating - but we've finally been picking up the last of our pumpkins for the upcoming Halloween holiday (also a sign of how fast time is flying towards the cold and holiday season). We plan to carve up this big boy soon and toast the pumpkin seeds. One of my favorite Fall activities! 




THREE



I've finally, slowly, been going through and organizing some of my most recent items I've picked up for my scrapbooking and other future projects. That's one thing that keeps me sane during the LONG months we wait out the cold and snow.... my crafting projects. 




FOUR





I've been taking in all the beauty of the remaining leaves as much as I'm able! Whether it'd be running errands, or taking my MIL for a drive on the days I caregive for her, or even taking more of the side roads and beautiful tree lined streets when I pick up my daughter from school. I know the time is so fleeting now so I try to oooh and aaah over each one just a little while longer.






FIVE




And I've been changing our menu to more hearty, comforting, soul warming foods. Last night's meal was a big pot of chili, corn bread and apple pie. Do you like the leaves I added to my pie? Lol  This is the time of year I really love cooking and baking and playing with my food. ;)  I'll be sharing my easy cheesy corn bread recipe soon on the blog, as well as apple pie. You can find my brown sugar chili recipe in an early post from when I first started my blog - close to a year ago. I thought I linked it under my recipes but I guess I didn't. I will fix that in the near future. 


Blessings on your weekend! I'm linking with Amy from Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.



26 comments:

  1. A lovely seasonal post, preparing for the onslaught of winter weather. Your warming food look delicious. I am too like to scrapbook and have been hoarding in preparation for the colder months. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Friend! Hope you're staying cozy and having fun with some new projects for the season. ;)
      Xo

      Delete
  2. What a lovely cozy feeling post! I am trying to enjoy the fall colors while they last too!
    And oh your winter menu is so comforting and heartening I think I might just have to pop round at suppertime!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! ;)

      Pop round anytime for a bite. I'll make extra! Lol
      Xo

      Delete
  3. All such lovely autumn moments - well, apart from the meds etc, but that is a good reminder! - the leaves are so beautiful aren't they, I am sure that your MIL must enjoy you taking her out and seeing them. You have some great scrapbooking supplies for the winter crafting you will be doing! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! Not looking forward to snow yet, but excited to cozy in for the season & get some projects done - and yummy comfort cooking. ;) xo

      Delete
  4. Oh, how much I loved this one!!!!!
    I do almost the same things!!!!!
    Soaking this all in, while preparing, with excitement, fior the cozy months ahead!!!!!
    Have a cozy weekend' my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know you're my kindred spirit Billie Jo! I could tell by your posts too. ;)
      Anticipating is definitely 1/2 of the fun! Xo

      Delete
  5. I'm working on the same things! Snow really limits what we do here so I understand getting prepared. I'm determined to get more scrapbooking done! Love the pictures and all the yummy baked foods, looks delicious! Have a fabulous weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't wait to compare scrapbook pages throughout the winter! ;)
      There's just something so wonderful about feeling cozy & warm inside, while its cold & blowy outside, and getting lots of scrspbooking done.
      Xo

      Delete
  6. Love your hearty fall foods, your beautiful fall leaves and pumpkins....did you grow those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie!
      Nope didn't grow the pumpkins- wish I had a garden that size though. That would be awesome! ;) Picked them up from a local grower. Xo

      Delete
  7. It looks very pretty over your way! It looks yummy too - love your pretty pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mari! I have such fun "playing " with my food that way. ;) xo

      Delete
  8. You do seem to be getting ready and organised. I hope it's a joyful hibernation if much crafting for you this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to hopeful catch up on many projects! ;)
      Xo

      Delete
  9. Oh Carrie, I think you have really captured the essence of fall in this post you shared. I love the photos and the part about the "smell of smoke from the neighbors stove". This brought back lots of memories for me of growing up in eastern Washington. No smoke down here in southern California with all the sun and palm trees. Thank you for sharing such delightful fall food. I'm going to look for your chili recipe. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat!
      If I could bottle up some of those heavenly Fall smells & send them to you I would! ;) xo

      Delete
  10. Love your preparations for upcoming winter, Carrie. I have the same acorn garland ;) Hugs, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia!
      Loving the anticipation of all the cozy this season will bring!!
      ;)

      Delete
  11. You are so cruel, Carrie! Oooh, that chili, cornbread, and apple pie look delicious! You need to start mailing out free samples with your blog posts! The leaves are gorgeous! Thankfully we have some good-looking ones here as well, so I don't have to be covetous. Hope your daughter has recovered. Colds are no fun! Tell her to get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet Bethany! You're beyond adorable to say such kind things. ;)
      If I could ship some goodies right through the screen I would! Lol Maybe some computer genius will be able to type "food code " someday. ;)
      Xo

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you've got hibernation season under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena! Hope so - definitely ready to be cozy & get things accomplished. ;) xo

      Delete
  13. Delicious post! Autumn leaves, comfort food, Scrapbooking: yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen!
      I know you're a kindred spirit with many of the same loves. ;)
      Xo

      Delete