Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday


Happy Monday Friends! Another brand new week ahead.

 It was a nice weekend here. Busy with some hockey, but also had some fun as a family in a quick road trip to my son's hockey game (his team won!). We got in a little shopping and a nice dinner.  

Then yesterday was a gorgeous one here. Beautiful almost 40 degree weather (on my sheltered back deck I think it might have been above 40) - with the sun shining away. I played with Ruby on the back deck a lot and soaked up lots of vitamin D.  It felt heavenly and wish it would stay. The forecast says it won't, but it gave me a taste that Spring isn't so very far away.


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

It's only in the mid 20's today, but might hit about 30. Cloudy right now and sun tries to peek through now and then. Unfortunately a day as lovely as yesterday is not predicted for the rest of the week - boo!


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Chai tea and some peanut butter & honey toast.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

I see lots of ice. Our driveway is a solid sheet - after all the melting yesterday. But here it's nothing we're not used to and doesn't really slow us down. ;) 



RIGHT NOW I AM:

Listening to some pandora as I work on this in my office. Also, finishing up some papers I need to bring for PTA meeting later.


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Mainly some laundry. I need to give my bathrooms all some love, as I just didn't get to them this weekend. Never a fun job. All and all pretty tidy though. We went through our kiddos' bedrooms over the weekend and helped them get rid of old clothes and toys/books etc. We give them to some families my Mom knows that have little funds and appreciate some goodies for their kiddos.


ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

I have an appointment this AM and then I'll be picking up my MIL to spend the rest of the afternoon. Going to get groceries tomorrow, so will look for some fun activities to do with her around my home. Maybe go out and about later to run some errands, as she can often get more restless in the afternoons and it's nice having a "focus" to keep her busy. It'll be so nice when we do get Spring so we can spend more time outdoors - as she loves that so much too! Then later I have a PTA meeting at my daughter's school.



CURRENTLY READING:

More new magazines - but haven't jumped into another book yet.


ON THE TV TODAY:

I watched The Good Wife and Downton Abbey - both so good!! If you saw Downton (I won't give spoilers), but were you as sort of horrified (& a little grossed out) as I was by a certain scene?? I was so shocked and just kept saying "Oh God!" "Oh Lord" while it was happening!!Aaackk!! Also Good Wife was SO good!! I just love both of these shows so much! I also have some cooking shows taped and even a movie or 2 I haven't watched yet. I did watch Far From the Madding Crowd recently and really liked it. I also watched A Little Chaos with Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman. I loved him so much and am so sad that he was taken from this world far too young (from cancer). I also thought that was a good movie too.  Getting my romances in lately! Lol!  It is Valentine's season after all. ;) 



ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: leftover garlic chicken and fried rice from yesterday (freezer meal)


TUESDAY: spaghetti hot dish, garlic bread, green beans  


WEDNESDAY: semi homemade chicken noodle soup


THURSDAY: waffles, fruit, sausage or bacon


FRIDAY:  root beer pulled pork sandwiches, salad, corn on the cob

*planning to make Billie Joe's recipe (from the blog Afternoon Coffee & Evening Tea) for cherry berry pie for dessert one of the nights (& share with the in-law's when I bring them dinner)


WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Valentine's cards, scrapbook organization


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

the root beer pulled pork is new - as well as Billie Joe's pie will be new to me (& sounds delish!)


TIP OF THE WEEK:

Bread bowls can be a fun way to serve soup. For kiddos you could even use something more dinner roll sized for a mini version!



FROM THE CAMERA:

My Girl making me smile and filling my heart. Above is the intro to the essay she wrote about me. I cried when she read it to me and I think my heart grew a few more sizes. And I love how she leaves her stuffed animals or dolls in random places in such cute positions. I'll find a baby or animal all tucked in with her blankets in the book basket or like in this case - her stuffed elephant just hanging out on the dining room table.



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:


I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.


28 comments:

  1. My favorite tea is Vanilla Chai. Love the quote about Spring. I can't wait! Have a great week and I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/happy-homemaker-monday-2116.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love vanilla chai too Colleta! ;) Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  2. Great post. I love the essay and the elephant photo. My daughter has the same elephant I think.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie! ;) Happy week to you!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love some chai tea too. Your girl's essay made me tear up a little! Have a gorgeous week, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are just beyond sweet Joanna! Thanks Hon. Blessings on your week. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh! I hope you all love the pie!
    Please let me know!
    Love the essay. : )
    And I am interested in your pulled pork recipe!!!
    Have a nice week, my friend.
    Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't made it yet - just got groceries today. But can't wait!! I know we'll love it! ;) Will share pulled pork recipe this week. Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you wrapped up another weekend quite nicely :) You are so good caring for your mother-in-law with outings and visits and meals as well. They must feel quite spoiled and love you very much. Your daughter's essay is so sweet. She sounds like a special kid. Enjoy your week Carrie!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy! A lot like the caregiving you still do visiting your Dad so often. ;) Annie is definitely my Angel. Blessings on your week my Friend! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Well done to your son! Hope, as always, that you have a good week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! Same to you. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Cherry berry pie sounds like such a fun (and tasty!) dessert. What a great quote! The elephant photo made me smile. I think my youngest son used to have similar stuffed elephant he snuggled with at bedtime. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I think that elephant must be a popular one as I know others that have it too. ;) Blessings on your week. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Your menu sounds yummy! Love the quote!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! So happy you stopped by! Happy week to you. xoxo

      Delete
  9. I'd been thinking for weeks now that Alicia would end up going back to Lockhart Agos - I'm so glad it looks that way! I'm also glad Eli is becoming more human!

    I love the essay and elephant - HOW SWEET!

    Love that inspiration too!

    Have an awesome week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about Good Wife Tamy! ;)

      Thanks so much and blessings on your week. xoxo

      Delete
  10. It was icy here too this morning. I love chai tea.
    The note is the sweetest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari!! Hope you're so careful on that ice. Probably the only thing I really hate about where we live. xoxo

      Delete
  11. AW! Your daughter's essay is so precious. You def need to tuck that away for whenever you need your spirits uplifted! So cute about the stuffed animals, too. Nice to get a break in the weather to enjoy some winter sunshine. Spring is not too far away now that it is already February. I was so surprised watching Downton this week. I don't think anyone expected that! I haven't been able to watch 'The Good Wife' because they are both on at the same time here, but I will catch the re-runs. My daughter made the rootbeer pulled pork - it is sooooo good! So sweet that your children donate their things to those less fortunate. Hope you have lots of little blessings this week, my friend. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep definitely one of those keeper essays! ;) Oh you have to catch re-runs of G.W. for sure! ONe of the best written shows out there.

      Blessings on your week too Dearest. xoxo

      Delete
  12. For some reason I don't get all your posts in my e-mail. I have not been able to post on a couple of other blogs, even on SB. Someone said Google is up to something.
    Anyway…I love the quote, just in time for the big storm…
    Thanks for the Black Forest brownie recipe!!!
    Warm Hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I wonder why that is Margot?? Very strange. C'mon Google - give us a break!! ;) Maybe there's someone you can contact to question about it?

      Enjoy the recipe and stay nice and snuggly!! Blessings! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Hi Carrie,
      SB works with WordPress and they got the bugs out, but many people use Google's Blogger. Unless the folks with Blogger have the option of using "Anonymous" and one without G-mail can't leave a comment.
      Love the pulled pork idea with root beer. I have heard of using Coke before.
      Hugs and Blessings to you too!
      Margot

      Delete
    3. It should say, then one or then a person, unstead of "and". Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  13. Wow, what a beautiful statement your little Annie wrote! Seriously that should make you give yourself a nice little pat on the back - you are doing a great job if your daughter is able to recognize such a necessary trait in her mom at such a young age.
    I love Annie's elephant too! Sometimes I have to remember to recognize the little toys scattered around the house as adorable moments instead of just clutter. I obviously haven't mastered the skill of "mom" to the level that you have yet but I'm learning every day! ;)
    Your menu sounds so cozy and warming.
    I definitely thought of you, Carrie, as we were all preparing for the "crazy" blizzard last weekend! Just your typical day up where you are, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that last quote! Hope and spring are both so beautiful. That is a sweet essay intro by your daughter. I'm sure you are a wonderful mom! Your menu for the week sounds completely awesome. Love fried rice and chicken (if it's cooked just right), but it would be hard for anything to top some good chicken noodle soup! Glad you enjoyed the beautiful weather this weekend!

    ReplyDelete