Thursday, August 27, 2015

Broccoli, Bacon & Grape Pasta Salad

I'm late with a recipe today as it's been one of those busy kiddo days! I'm looking so forward to back to school so my schedule will become normal once again and things will slow down. Tick tock at this point as school is less than a week away! I am loving my kiddo time too, though, don't get me wrong. 


I wanted to share this yummy pasta salad I made a week or so ago. It's a recipe off of my pinterest under the board "salads".  It sounds like kind of an interesting and strange combination of flavors, but it was SO good! It was a recipe originally from Southern Living I believe.




For this recipe first get some pasta (in this case bow tie) boiling. Take some chopped pecans and toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes:




Then halve about a 2 cups of grapes:




 Then cut up about a pound of broccoli into florets:



Cut up about a 1/3 cup of red onion:




The part I didn't get a photo of was the bacon. Cook up 8 slices of bacon and crumble and set aside. Take about a cup of mayo and mix in the red onion, some red wine vinegar, sugar and salt to make a dressing. The recipe calls for a certain amount, but I did what my Grandma always did which was to take about 2 Tbsps of sugar and 2 tsp of vinegar for every cup of mayo. Then drain and rinse the pasta, add the broccoli and the grapes and dressing and mix all together. Chill for several hours. Just before serving stir in the bacon and the pecans.  Delicious!! Here's the recipe:


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 (16-oz.) package farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
1 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
8 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
2. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small pieces using tip of a paring knife. Peel away tough outer layer of stems, and finely chop stems.
4. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours. Stir bacon and pecans into salad just before serving.


14 comments:

  1. Sounds soooo good! Really must try this one soon :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! Hope you like it. ;) xo

      Delete
  2. Such interesting flavors put together. For some reason I just cannot eat things cold that I normally eat warm, like pasta or broccoli, lol…I’m weird like that. :) I know my mom would probably love this though. I did make that BBQ Bacon Cheesy Chicken and it was a huge hit in my house!! Of course my youngest was trying to come up with another name for it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I just love your crazy quirks Girlie! ;)
      I can't wait to see what the new name is - be sure to share! Lol!! I'll rename it for me then too.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks amazing! You never fail to post the best recipes! My family makes a similar broccoli salad but minus the grapes, bacon, AND pasta... What were we thinking - this sounds so much better! Definitely need to make this for our next family gathering!
    And, I know what you mean about a normal routine - because your kids are in school most of the year you're used to a certain schedule and, as an organized freak over here, I would definitely have a hard time changing my days around for only two months each year! (My daily routine just happens to include my littles every month of the year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Laura! It's like a hobby that I love to find new recipes. If you keep liking then I'll keep sharing. ;)

      Ha - thanks for relating. I do love the time with my kiddos, but I do go a little nuts...especially towards the end of summer. Playing referee OFTEN is my least favorite part.
      Blessings my Dear. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Sounds lovely! I bet that it is a great combination, especially with the bacon and grapes sweet and salty mix! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy - exactly right...it's salty, sweet and even smoky with the pecan and toasted pecans. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This is an unusual combo, like putting everything I love into one salad! Enjoy this last week with the kiddos - they must be getting excited about going back to school and seeing all their friends again! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been packing in the fun and it's felt very busy - but great! My daughter is SO excited!! My teenager not as much. His work load will increase quite a bit as he's starting high school at a college prep school. Plus, his girlfriend goes to a different school. But he will look forward to seeing his other friends and he's already been back to JV soccer and hockey will begin in a few months too. Sports: it's what we do. Lol!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. How interesting to put grapes with pasta! Never would have thought of that, but I can see how it might be delicious.

    Thanks for sharing Carrie! Hope your weekend is a good one, and hang in there...school is just around the corner ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen! I can't wait to put away the referee whistle breaking up my kiddo fights - but other than that we've been packing in some final summer fun too.
      Blessings dear Friend!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. This sounds very good! I pinned it, but since I don't like nuts I would leave them out. :)
    PS - I like Ben Carson too. I've seen some really good clips of things he has said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would still be good - even without the nuts Mari. Maybe you'd want to add another crunchy veggie instead? Celery or carrot?
      I'm guessing the Ben Carson comment was for someone else? Lol
      Blessings my Dear. xoxo

      Delete