Thursday, February 25, 2016

Cinnamon & Sugar Tortilla Sundae

The other night for dessert I was thinking I wanted to do something with some flour tortillas I had in the fridge and needed to use up. So I thought of The Pioneer Woman's (PW) recipe for cinnamon crisps which are made from tortillas. I had it in my head that I was going to make a "dessert nacho" kind of thing. I planned to take the homemade baked cinnamon and sugar tortillas and break them up onto a plate and cover with some chocolate sauce and cut up strawberries. Voila! Dessert nachos. 


But then when I was looking up Ree's (PW herself) recipe and she had hers with ice cream and I thought that looked so good. So I basically put the "nachos" on ice cream and boy were they good! 


So I basically followed Ree's directions to make the tortillas, or crisps - but didn't take any photos until they were in the oven. So here are few photos of Ree's directions:

Cinnamon Crisps | The Pioneer Woman

Grab a cookie sheet and place tortillas on there. Take melted butter and brush on the tortillas - making sure to coat REALLY well. Then flip them over and coat the other side too.  




Cinnamon Crisps | The Pioneer Woman

Mix up some cinnamon and sugar and coat the tortilla - again REALLY well.



Cinnamon Crisps | The Pioneer Woman

Then flip over and coat the other side well with the cinnamon sugar mix.

She used the small size tortillas, and I only had the larger ones - but they still worked great!  Then bake them in the oven until they're brown and crispy. 



Here are photos from them in my oven and then when I took them out. There were some I was less "generous" with the cinnamon and sugar and they weren't nearly as tasty. So again - coat everything REALLY well! Lol


The tops of them will still look kind of "dusty" with the cinnamon and sugar like you see in the above photo, but the bottoms will kind of caramelize or crystallize with the sugar and look like this:



This is definitely how you want it to look on the bottom. Such a yummy flavor and texture!!




Then get creative with them. Make dessert nachos or a sundae or even fruit salsa and scoop them up with these "crisps"! Here's the recipe off of PW's site:

  • 1 stick Butter, Melted
  • 3 whole Flour Tortillas (small Size)
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Mix together the sugar and cinnamon. 

Brush butter on one side of the flour tortillas. Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar. Flip tortillas to the other side, then sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar. 

Bake for 15-17 minutes until very crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. 

Break into pieces and eat as snacks...or serve with ice cream!



On another fun "sweet" note - have you seen the waffle bowls in the grocery store? The kind you can buy where the boxes of sugar cones are located? Well I found a box of mini ones the other day. They're so cute and perfect for a small treat - just 1 scoop of ice cream, or pudding etc. But Annie and I got creative and made a fun "treat" breakfast with them yesterday:



We filled them with the yummy strawberry banana yogurt she loves and then cut some banana slices on top for a delicious yogurt sundae! Life is too short not to make it sweet, right?? 






12 comments:

  1. It is good to make sure that life is sweet! Everything I have tried of PW's has been delicious, I saw her making these on her show and thought they would be good, but we never have any spare tortilla's to make them, perhaps after Lent I will have to give them a go! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love her too - and she's never disappointed me either. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Those look way too good, so I'm kinda glad they're not sitting here in front of me, especially with ice cream! Lol I loved your comment on my dark and stormy night post (I don't have your email address or I would have told you that way). Anyway, yes you were SO brave!!!!!!!! That would have been terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - they are way too good - so beware! Lol!!

      So glad you liked my story. It's nice that I can look back now and laugh, but boy was I terrified then!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. You're making me hungry tonight! These both look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good - especially those tortillas!! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Wow Annie you are brilliant! I eat yogurt every morning, then have the fruit…although I do need the carbs I get tired of my muesli and I don't like toast. Great alternative!
    Still unpacking Carrie…looks like Sat. will be nice and the sun is out today!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot!! Hope you had a wonderful weekend and got lots of unpacking done. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  5. Everything looks delicious! Love yogurt, and that is a great idea to have it with a waffle cone and bananas. Looks like a fun meal. The cinnamon sugar tortilla sundae reminds me of what we do with leftover pie crust dough--we sprinkle it with cinnamon, sugar, and butter, and bake it. I'm sure it has a different texture/taste than tortillas, but it is hard to beat cinnamon and sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that with extra pie crust too Bethany! So yummy!! Annie loved her "special" breakfast. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  6. You have some great gardening ideas, Carrie! I've been getting the catalogs and already I have spent several thousand dollars in my mind! LOL! Don't even talk about bathing suits - Yikes! I guess I had better lay off the leftover Valentine's chocolates! I like the abs workouts you posted - definitely need to pin that! Love the 'treats' - I'll have to look for those sugar cone bowls. Hope you have a little bit of warm sunshine for the weekend. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Gotta love pinterest!! ;)

      It was a wonderful weekend and had lovely sunshine. Feel free to send more. Lol! xoxo

      Delete