Monday, February 29, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday


happyhomemakermonday

Happy Monday My Friends! 


Hope you had a wonderful weekend and are ready to begin anew again this week. I feel like it flew by and we were busy between family things, house things, and hockey. They weather was so beautiful on Saturday and we took advantage of as much sunshine as possible! Today is sunny but really cold again. Boo! I'm behind in blogland and didn't get much time there - so need to come and visit all of you wonderful friends. ;)



THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Quite chilly as I mentioned. It was 10* when I took Annie to school this AM and with windchill probably colder than that. I want Saturday's 56* back!!




ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

1/2 a bagel with some butter and vanilla hazelnut coffee.




  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Nice and sunny which helps the energy level. A squirrel is trying to climb up a tree with something big in its mouth, but I can't tell what it is? Lol




RIGHT NOW I AM:

Listening to some praise and worship music and trying to get a good mind set on the week ahead. It's going to be a busy one and I'm not feeling ready for it. Maybe I need another 1/2 cup of coffee this morning.....YAWN



AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Things are pretty tidy. Usual culprit of laundry.  I need to change sheets too - didn't get to that this weekend. We got the deck all shoveled off this weekend on that beautiful Saturday. So it was completely clear and I went and sat out in the sun and soaked up wonderful vitamin D. It has snowed again since then so there's a good 1/2 to1 inch of snow on there again. ::sigh:: 





ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

PTA meeting later today. I have appointments to make for this week and several projects that need more tackling. Could be a busy week of  workers here too. WE're getting a new insert in our fireplace - it hasn't worked for several years and we finally decided to tackle it.  We've had the plumber & city inspector here, and now electricians need to come...and then the fireplace folks can come and put it in. 




CURRENTLY READING:

I just started another Nora Roberts book - pretty good so far.



ON THE TV TODAY:

I watched the Oscars last night. I thought it was kind of a weird one, but I was happy Leo Dicaprio won - but I felt badly for Sylvester Stallone. I really thought he'd win in his category. I thought Lady Gaga's performance was amazing and so moving! I don't know if I've seen any of the nominated movies this year, but I guess I'll have to do some catch up when they come out on Demand later.  I've always been a lover of movies and worked in a movie theater for many years through high school and part of college. 

 




ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: pesto tortellini with marinara sauce, garlic bread and veggie


TUESDAY: cream of broccoli soup with baked sandwich roll-ups & fruit


WEDNESDAY: monte-cristo breakfast sandwiches with ham, cheese & raspberry dijon - salad


THURSDAY: meatloaf, baked potatoes and green beans with toasted almonds 


FRIDAY: not sure yet - maybe out for dinner & I can have fish


*Think I'll bake up some caramel cashew bars this week for in-law's too. 

**Also, this weekend we're planning a fun game night with relatives over. We've been meaning to do it over the course of the long winter, and timing finally works. I'm going to make a big crock pot of chili with toppings, sandwich fixings, and we're going to have a big sundae bar. I think I may make a recipe for wet walnuts I have to try on the ice cream too. Yay for game night! 


 



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Scrapbooking project that will be a gift for a cousin of mine in the future. Also recipe card project for a friend...and along with that trying to finish up Annie's cookbook scrapbook and organize my recipes better at the same time! 



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

The wet walnuts recipe would be a new one -and sounds so good!!




TIP OF THE WEEK:

I want to work to get my most frequently used recipes organized more by season (things I may make more in winter vs summer etc), as well as by common categories (main dishes vs desserts etc) and put it all in a binder. Have the pages in a plastic sleeve or laminated - and have them be easy to pull out for ease to shop for ingredients. That is my goal anyway. Lol  I have so many frequently used recipes all over the place - like in a cook book here, in a recipe box there, and yet another on the computer over there. I want it all in one place!  




FROM THE CAMERA:
See - a clear deck!! (at least at the time)



Ruby and I enjoyed the WARM sunshine immensely!!



My snuggle bug





PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:


I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

18 comments:

  1. Ruby is such a doll!!! I wish I had thought on Saturday, with our glorious warm weather, to wash sheets and hang them on the line. Nothing like the smell of line-dried sheets. Ahhh. I'm sorry for Sylvester Stallone too, but to be honest, I was so glad that Mark Rylance won for best supporting actor. He was amazing in Bridge of Spies and before that in a BBC TV series, Wolf Hall. I loved that! Have a happy Monday! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I agree with the sheets on the line - freshest smell around!!

      I'm happy for Mark too - but I think he may have more acting opportunities in the future than Stallone - so felt bad for that. ;)
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  2. Wow Carrie! First you send delicious recipies for brownies and cookies, THEN you send out an ab exercise poster! LOL
    I like the homemade dryer sheets and lip balm! I think I will leave the soap making to Cranberry Morning!

    oxox
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Margot - welcome to the crazy that is me! Bahahaha!! That is pretty much how I roll too. I love to cook and bake and that will always be there - thus need to throw some workouts and ab crunches in the mix. ;)

      I think it will be so fun to experiment with the oils and see what I can accomplish. Lol
      Blessings xo

      Delete
  3. Your pup!!!!!
    And I thought the show last night was weird too!
    That was the exact word I used!!!
    Anyway, we actually just put an electric insert into our fireplace.
    We rarely used it to build a fire, so we now just use a remote and it looks exactly like we have a beautiful fire! It gives off heat too.
    Have a cozy week, my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm going for Billie Jo! The push of a remote button for a lovely "fire"! Can't wait. ;)
      Blessings xo

      Delete
  4. your dog is so cute. I am also a fan of Nora Roberts. What book are your reading? Great recipe tip. I tried to separate mine in this way. but enjoy to many "winter" comfort meals all year long. enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished The Liar and now I'm reading Unfinished Business. She's probably my favorite "go-to" fun read author.
      I'm with you on the comfort meals too! Lol
      Blessings on your week and thanks for visiting. xo

      Delete
  5. Awwwww Ruby!!!
    What kind of praise and worship music do you listen to? I love me some Chris Tomlin.
    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Chris Tomlin too - he's often on my local Christian station in the car....also Mercy Me. I love all the artists I hear on the Pandora Praise and Worship station, plus I love Steven Curtis Chapman, John Michael Talbot, Michael W Smith, Amy Grant etc.

      blessings Joanna! xo

      Delete
  6. Did you ever figure out what the squirrel took up the tree? Funny because I also saw a squirrel carrying something really big up a tree yesterday (told my youngest son it looked like a Pop-tart! but maybe it was just paper...) Can't wait to hear about your fun game night! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never did Jean! Lol No idea what he was hauling up there. ;)
      Wishing you a blessed week Hon. xo

      Delete
  7. Great verse! Ruby does look like she's soaking in that sunshine! We've had almost identical weather to what you described here, though our Saturday was in the high 60s I think. Oh, it was so nice to go out in shirt sleeves again...finally! And now we have snow again! Oh well. At least we got one tantalizing taste of spring. Game night sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that song too Bethany - based on the verse. Hope we get a bit more of weather like last Saturday soon! ;)
      Blessings on your week xo

      Delete
  8. :-) Ruby!! You should have had some flip-flops on that foot in the pic, LOL. Game night at your house sounds like a blast!! I started getting my most used recipes on index cards actually, and they are filed in a small card box. I like the compactness of it. A binder would be good with the sheet protectors too.

    Have a great week hon!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea (about the cards). Anywhere to have it all in one convenient place. ;)

      I'm ready for more of that sunny weather - and game night! Lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I hope you are having a great week my friend. I love those "warm" weather pictures from the weekend. I did my recipes last summer just like that and it has been a godsend! It turned out so well I even then made 2 more books for my niece and a friend that had been asking for recipes. Tonight's menu is one of my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's such a great idea - that you made extras as gifts! Especially when you're a Lady with a wonderful recipe collection!!
      Blessings xo

      Delete