Monday, February 15, 2016

Happy Homemaker Monday

happyhomemakermonday


Happy Monday Friends!

Hope your weekend went well and didn't fly too fast. We had hockey for both kiddos. We also had a wonderful dinner out with friends one night, followed by some fun games of cribbage while the kiddos played and hung out. Annie and I made some fun Valentine's strawberry (pink) cupcakes for Sunday. All in all a fun weekend. Now on to the week ahead!


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Temps are a little warmer, but with windchill still feels pretty chilly.  Right now temp is 22* but it said it feels like 11*.  Gray skies as it's quite cloudy. We got a little bit of snow yesterday and they're predicting warmer temps this week with more snow for several of the days. 


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Piece of toast with butter and jam. 1/2 cup of coffee with sweet creamer.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Everything is covered in a fresh blanket of white. With the gray - almost white skies and the new snow it looks like a world of white everywhere.



RIGHT NOW I AM:

Listening to some worship music as I was doing some devotional time. Now working on this and thinking of a busy week ahead.


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

I've already jumped into getting laundry going and the dishes are done. I need to do some more dusting and will mop my ceramic tiles floors as they could definitely use it. This on and off snow stuff makes for messy floors from kiddos and one Miss Ruby.




ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Both kiddos are off of school right now. My son is off for winter break for the week. My daughter is off for just a couple of days due to teacher inservice. Going to take them for several activities today and also need to run some errands. We have various appointments this week and other busy events coming up this week and weekend - so I'm going to be one busy Gal! 




CURRENTLY READING:

Reading Nora Roberts book called The Liar. Just felt like reading a quick and fun romance kind of book. But I love that some of the beginning of the book is talking about Spring in Tennessee and mentioning things like soft Spring rain and flowers blooming. Things I'm dreaming on these days!!



ON THE TV TODAY:

I watched Downton Abbey and it's just so good. After every episode I want to cry because I know it's one step closer to being finished. I have The Good Wife taped but didn't get to it yet. We did watch the new Amazing Race as a family and my hubby likes Gold Rush and we didn't watch that one yet. I have some cooking shows taped yet too. 




ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

MONDAY: leftover tacos from the weekend


TUESDAY: chicken, mashed potatoes, salad


WEDNESDAY: something easy - busy night


THURSDAY: breakfast for dinner


FRIDAY: vegetable stir fry




WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

Valentine's cards, valentine project



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

Nothing really new planned this week




TIP OF THE WEEK:

I saw this (probably on pinterest) and thought it was so cute and haven't done it yet... but mean to one of these days for Annie. She loves creamy tomato soup and will often float cheesy crackers in it. But it would be cute to take some bread and butter it - add a little parmesean cheese to the top - and cut it out with cute little cookie cutter shapes (or free hand). Then toast it in the oven until you have cute cheesy croutons she could float on top of her soup. She could help me make them and she would love it!!



FROM THE CAMERA:
Tax season has begun - hubby has been using our dining room table regularly for the extra space.







Annie and I made strawberry cupcakes with vanilla frosting in pink camouflage cups for Valentine's Day. Then Annie had a friend over later and they decorated them with mini chocolate chips and sprinkles.


PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:



I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.




25 comments:

  1. Carrie, is your husband an accountant? I don't know why but when I saw the photo of him in your Christmas card I immediately thought "he's an accountant!" Am I correct? If so we really are kindred spirits because my husband is too! (Though he does forensics, not taxes...)
    Enjoy your week with the kids home, busy though it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so funny that you thought that from seeing him in the photo! Lol! Actually, he's a real estate developer and owner (along with his Brother) of several companies. They own subsidized housing in our area, have a realty company and an electric company. So proud of them as it all began from owning rentals and flipping them and slowly growing over time into the enterprises they have today. My hubby has a college degree in business and is the CFO, though, and therefore handles the books and finances. He has accountants, but actually does quite a bit of that work himself.
      I'm so happy that they were pretty successful when their Mom was still aware of it and it was so special to see that pride she had for the successful men they had become - whom also do wonderful things for our community and give of their time and also money to charity. It's so sad that today she doesn't have a clue of what they do, or even always that they are her sons.

      Blessings for a wonderful week ahead to you dear Laura! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's amazing! What a blessing - like you said - that your MIL was aware of all her sons did before she become too sick. Now that I have boys I often daydream about what they will do one day, how they will change the world - or at least their little corner of the world! I guess we can still be kindred spirits, right? Even if our husbands do not share the same profession? ;) ;)

      Delete
    3. Oh I have no doubt your Boys will do wonderful things in the world - raised by such smart & loving parents. My in-law's gave my hubby his tremendous work ethic & such caring & kindness for others. The only place they lacked, sorry to say, was with religion. They don't practice any - but I swear are such Christian-like people. It's the only place I have "differences" with my hubby (besides the Packers - Lol). But he's the love of my life so what do ya do? ;)

      We're kindred blogging Besties forever - no doubt!! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Happy week, my friend!
    And those cupcakes! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cribbage is one of the activities they offer here at the resort, but I haven't tried it yet. Good to know you like it!

    We missed downton last week, but watched both episodes last night. I think Tom and the new editor are going to hook up! Lol And I just love Maggie Smith! I would hate to get into a cat fight with her!

    I've been reading easy books too...nothing too heavy. I don't want to have to 'think' too hard these days ;).

    Enjoy your week (and I hope those blog changes I mentioned eons ago will finally happen soon! Ugh...what a nightmare!!!)


    XXX


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cribbage - and many other card games: hearts, smear... you name it! I might even try to learn bridge one day, but that sounds pretty complicated. Lol

      I think you could be right about Tom - but I'd still like to see him with Mary. Is that weird though, are they too brother and sister-like? I just see them being a perfect match and running the show at the "big house" ;)

      Maggie Smith is the BEST! What a gem!!

      Praying those darn blog changes work out for you soon! Have a great week Hon. xoxo

      Delete
  4. AMEN to your inspirational! Keep dreaming of those spring like conditions - I hope they come your way soon.

    I've been doing some Barbara Bretton small series books recently for the same reason. She seems to have her hand on the pulse points of her characters and they seem so real to me.

    Have fun with the kiddos at home this week and all your activities. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tamy! I will keep dreaming of Spring. ;)

      Love when quick reading books are so fun and can be gobbled up quickly.

      Hope you have a great week ahead Sweetie! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I just finished watched the DVD of Downton. I'm so sad it's going to be done too. I did enjoy Mr Carson's turn at cooking this week!
    I love your tip of the week. Tomato soup is so good and this would make it even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it CAN'T end!! What will we do without our regular Downton dose? Lol

      I did love the Mr. Carson stuff too - and didn't Ms. Hughes look like quite the stinker about it. Hilarious!

      Have a great week Hon! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your Monday posts Carrie :) Those are some sweet looking cupcakes you and Annie made. We used to cut up cubes of sharp cheddar to float in our tomato soup, but my mom always made her own delicious croutons with stale bread tossed with various herbs and baked for a bit in the oven. I love the cabinets in your dining room :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my dear Wendy! I love doing the Monday posts - probably most of all - as they keep kind of on track for the week. Lol

      Now your Mom's idea sounds like my kind of soup topping! Yum!!

      I love the dining room built-ins too. The former owners had them done by some wonderful carpenters. They also did several other built-ins around our home and I love them all!

      Wishing you a great week ahead!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh my, those cupcakes look delicious. Strawberry? YUM! And I do know what you mean about Downton coming to an end, and soon. I hope Julian Fellowes realizes that he's going to have to create anniversary episodes for those of us who are thoroughly addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's the post about the coffee slush:
    http://marislittlecorner.blogspot.com/2015/05/cooking-thursday_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a good weekend, it sounds lovely! Hope you have a great week too and enjoy the time with your children while they are off school. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strawberry cupcakes - Yummo! Wow - it is cold there. Brrrrrr! I love Nora Roberts books. Haven't read one in a while. I loved how Carson got his comeuppance on Downton when he had to cook dinner:) Love that scene of your Hubby's shirt on the dining room chair. So sweet. Enjoy your week with the kiddos. Stay safe driving in that snow and cold! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Been busy - but having fun. Blessings to you Hon! Xoxo

      Delete
  11. I like the header Carrie! I don't "Think Spring" until March. I hate dirty snow. I heard that we will be having a heat wave by Friday. Maybe I will head over to MN to visit my sister!
    Love the cupcakes!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot. I know what you mean about dirty snow. Spring can be so yucky around here. We call it the season of " mud". Hope you have a good visit! Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  12. Those cupcakes look delicious! :-) I'm so ready for Spring, lol... I think I say that every post perhaps I'm trying to make it arrive sooner?? ;-) Love Nora Roberts, she always delivers a great story. Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh...last weekend we had snow, this weekend, sunny and warm!! It's been in the 50's here yesterday and today. Now I'm getting spring fever, lol. Yea for tax time!! lol. The cupcakes look so delicious. I love your quote. Have a great weekend dear gal!! xxx

    ReplyDelete