Thursday, February 18, 2016

Easy Caesar Boats

I've been trying to be healthier and choose smarter food options. I actually like salads a lot and don't know why I don't eat them more often as a main dish for lunch or dinner. I think part of it is that sometimes they can seem like too much work with all the peeling and chopping.


 I've been seeing more ideas, on places like pinterest, for easy lettuce cups or boats as a way to eat salad. They're also a handy way to lighten up things that are yummy - but more fattening - due to carbs. Serve them in a big romaine leaf cup (or "boat" like their shape) and they can still be tasty, but far less calories.



I made these easy caesar boats the other day for lunch. They were so easy, and so tasty, and I didn't even miss all those croutons. 





I washed some large romaine leaves. I then added 2 tbsp of yummy caesar dressing (only needed a little). And topped them with some shredded leftover rotisserie chicken I had on hand. I then added some grated parmesean cheese and some black pepper. Such a fun way to eat a salad!


Instead of croutons I added a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. Quite a tasty lunch!  I've also eaten turkey & cheese, or ham & cheese "sandwiches" this way. Just put a little mustard or honey mustard on the leaves and add the meat and cheese. Cuts out those carbs, but still has yummy fresh and crunchy flavor with the crisp lettuce. You could roll them up as a "wrap" too.  Here's some other ideas I saw on pinterest:


Skinny chicken salad lettuce wrap: Summer wraps: 1/2 cup chopped chicken, 3 Tbsp Fuji apples chopped, 2 Tbsp red grapes chopped, 2 tsp honey, 2 Tbsp almond butter. Mix and wrap in a Romaine lettuce leaf.:

Chicken salad with fruit and nuts wrapped in lettuce leaves.



Mediterranean Chicken Lettuce Wrap Tacos:



I never thought about using lettuce like that! Great idea. Not to be gluten or carb free, because honey don't jump on that train, it just looks delicious:

Some chicken lettuce tacos and some pulled pork lettuce sandwiches. Yum!




Lemon Pudding on Romaine Leaf Lettuce with Fresh Strawberries, Candied Pistachios and Cypress Black Sea Salt:

Even a neat way to have a gluten free dessert - this one has lemon pudding on it with strawberries & candied pistachios. The lettuce is just a fresh "vehicle" to put the dessert all together in an easy-to-eat way.  Such fun ideas!! Here's to happy healthy eating. ;)  

I  have some busy days ahead so I'll be taking a break through the weekend. I'll be back on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend!







6 comments:

  1. I love salads too Carrie, and can (and do) eat them a LOT for lunch and sometimes even for dinner when fisherman's not around ;).

    This looks fabulous and easy!

    P.S. my new blog is finally up!! Come see (then you can take a break lol).

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I detect a shift from Winter foods to lighter fair??? At the end of each season the menus get boring to me, and then I have to make a shift here as I am the top chef at this house. I hear the winds picking up. Brrr!
    Have a great weekend yourself!
    Margot oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look so pretty and appetizing!
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ceasar boats look soooo good!! I love sunflower seeds too, definitely going to try this!! Never thought to use lettuce like this.

    ReplyDelete