Friday, March 4, 2016

Five on Friday: Fun Things

Hello My Friends! Happy Friday to You! 


I thought for my five things this week - I would share some fun random bits from my past week. 

ONE









I'm the Box Tops lady at my daughter's school. If you don't know what they are - they're basically little proof of purchase kind of symbols on packages of food and other products. The students cut them out and send them into school and each one is worth 10 cents. With over 400 kiddos at my daughter's school it adds up to lots of tops! I process the tops and mail them in to the Box Tops for Education company. I run contests throughout the year with prizes. I just ran a Spring contest where the top class won an ice cream party. And 2nd place class (which happened to be my daughter's class - yay!) won goodie bags. So I put them all together and decorated them with stickers. They were filled with things like glitter glue, balloons, putty and snacks and treats. Ruby supervised my work. ;) We've raised almost $1,000.00 for our school PTA this year just in box tops. Pretty cool, huh?




TWO



I continue to caregive for my MIL during the week, but less than I was before.  I've really enjoyed the less stressful load and it continues to go well. I also continue to cook meals for my in-law's at least 2 times a week. I love to cook and bake and I'm so happy to help them in this way. This night was meatloaf dinner (a hubby & FIL fave) with cheesy potatoes and green beans with toasted almonds. They had the caramel pecan bars for dessert.






THREE


We finally got our new fireplace insert. Our old gas fireplace didn't work, so we had the lines replaced and a whole new insert put in, but to make it work it needed to fit snug into the opening and cover the jagged edges from the marble - which would have had a gap too. So it's a different look being tall to cover the opening, and we don't like that the back drop is black when the screen is bronze and our lighting above is bronze. So my hubby is going to paint it all bronze to match. However, I do LOVE that I now have a fire - with a cozy blower - at the touch of button. 







FOUR



I'm extra happy I grabbed those pretty flowers recently, as today we're getting inches of snow again! At least my flowers make me smile before I see the snowflakes outside.




FIVE






smart chicks




3-D printer in action


Steam Punk team was our favorite




My little Gear Head


We also loved the all girls team (The Robettes)




My daughter had been asked at school to be part of a robot team working on code and cool things like that (it's only 2 boys and 2 girls working on 1 robot each). There was a robotics competition in our area and the teacher mentoring my daughter's robotics group asked me to chaperone on a field trip to take them to watch the competition. It was so cool and I was so impressed with the knowledge and maturity of these high school teams we watched perform in the competition. The teams also had booths where you could walk around and ask them questions, see how things worked and they would hand out things like buttons, bracelets, stickers and tattoos with their team names. The kids even got to see 3-D printers in action! It was really cool. And I love that my daughter loves science and math and is already interested in engineering. 

Here's a video of a 3-D printer in action. They would use it to make gears or other parts they needed - as well as mock up prototypes for things. 

 

 I'm linking with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.

20 comments:

  1. What a busy week you had! I love it that your daughter's interested in science and math. So wonderful. What fun to see a 3d printer. Cool! Your dinner sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'm so proud of her loving it all too! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  2. I can relate to your five in so many ways this week.

    I, too, save box top coupons which I pass to a friend, who passes to another friend, who takes them to her church, where the ladies assemble the packages, and the school a half-block away gets the credit. They also do Best Choice UPC codes, which is a private label company.

    I, too, make cheesy potatoes. I use the recipe from Simply Potatoes. Is that the one you use? My guests request them when they know I'm fixing ham.

    And the 3-D Printer is fascinating. Our local library has one, and schedules demonstrations. I have it on my list.

    And you reminded me that I haven't made meat loaf in awhile. Will do that next week.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patsy! So fun to find a new Blogland friend on here. ;)

      How cool that your friend and church helps in those ways. It's such and easy way to earn money for important things like education, isn't it?

      I do make that one sometimes (for potatoes!) Lol

      Glad to see you relate with so many of my 5 and thanks for stopping by.
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  3. Such a great idea to save the coupons, well worth the effort from the amount raised well done. I do not envy you the snow, although it is cold and windy here. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is melting fast now - and I'm thrilled! Thanks for stopping by and blessings to you dear Gal! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I remember box tops, we collected them at our school too. It's great that your daughter is interested in science and engineering. 3-D printers are so incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janet!! And thanks for popping by. Blessings to you. xo

      Delete
  5. What an interesting post ... what a lovely view from your kitchen window. And what a sweet doggie. Your meatloaf meal looks so delicious -- no wonder it's a family favourite.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend...
    Brenda


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda!! The view does make doing dishes much more enjoyable. ;)

      Hope you're having a lovely week! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love that your daughter is involved with something so cool and will clearly help her out in the future. Heck, maybe she can design blogs! Keep her on your good side Carrie ;).

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Love it Doreen!! :) Never thought of that angle - but good point. I'm on it! Special treat after school today it is. Lol!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. So glad that you had lots of great moments in your week. I am glad for you that you are getting more time for yourself. Thank you for sharing at Five on Friday, hope that you are having a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Amy my Girl!! Hope you're having a lovely week.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. I bet you make a killer meatloaf!!!
    Your new fireplace looks so inviting and beautiful.
    You must be so proud of Annie to have been selected for such a special project! Sounds fascinating.
    I loved this peek into your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta say - my meatloaf ain't too shabby. Lol ;)

      Thanks so much for the sweet compliments Darlin'. Loving the fireplace at the touch of a click! Can't beat that.

      Hope you're having a great week. xoxo

      Delete
  9. Good for you, Carrie, for raising the money for the PTA and putting in all that work for the kids. Your little doggie has such a soulful face! You are sweet for cooking for your in-laws and doesn't it look so good! Love that your daughter is part of the robot team. How cool is that? The snow out the window is so pretty. Hope your week ahead is fun. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I think Ruby's face is soulful too!! And I swear she speaks English. Lol

      Still love being able to help out in-law's in that way. Food is love (or at least in my world) ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. You're a busy lady. The meatloaf dinner looks so delicious. We put in a gas fireplace a year and a half ago and I love it! It heats most of our house and when I come in from a hard day at school, I love seeing the glow. Congratulations to your daughter for being selected for the robotics project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorrie!

      I have loved seeing the pretty glow of the fireplace - especially after it sat not working so long. And it's a bonus that it heats so nicely too. ;)

      Hope you're having a great week! xoxo

      Delete