Thursday, March 17, 2016

Tortellini Soup & Happy St. Patty's Day!

Well we didn't get any of the "snow storm" yesterday, as I mentioned in yesterday's post. However, we did wake up in a winter wonderland this morning. We only have about an inch or so on the ground. I'll say it sure did make all of the trees pretty. I guess it's one way for Mother Nature to dress up for St. Patrick's Day.


view out our living room windows this morning




In honor of our chillier weather at the moment I thought I'd share a cozy and very flavorful tortellini soup recipe.




 When we recently had our game night one of the relatives that came over was my Uncle Bob. He's a pretty special dude. He's one of my Dad's brothers and he's a Catholic priest. He's been a priest for about 40 years and recently retired....which just means that instead of working 7 days a week he might work 3 now. Lol!  But he's extra special to me in that he also officiated our wedding and baptized our Aaron!  

my wonderful Uncle - Fr. Bob




I love that when Fr. Bob officiates a wedding he has the couple face their friends and families to do their vows.

Things are different for him now in that he's no longer with his one large parish and school. Now he fills in where it's needed here and there, and in the meantime moved to his house that he built over the past 30 years.  He bought some land long ago in the northwoods and built that house as a place to retire. Lucky for us it's closer to our neck of the northwoods! So when I invited him for game night he was such a lovely guest and brought us some of his tortellini soup as a hostess gift. It's easy and so good - so of course I wanted to share the recipe with you my Friends!




The wonderful gift of Fr. Bob's jarred tortellini soup!





With the garlic and fresh herbs in there - the broth is so rich and flavorful! And then add the fact that it has cheese tortellini thrown in. Holy yum!! ;)   Here's the recipe Fr. Bob wrote for me:





Just delicious! And since I have a bit 'o the Irish in me I wanted to wish everyone a Happy St. Patrick's Day too. I don't usually make a traditional Irish feast - but one of these days I want to make one of the recipes I always see for yummy beef stew made with stout or guiness! And I also mean to bake Irish soda bread, but didn't get that done this year either. However, Annie and I like our fun cupcakes so that's what we did!





Happy St. Patty's to ye! xoxo


12 comments:

  1. The weather certainly is fickle isn't it! How wonderful to have a family member officiating at family occasions, that must be so wonderfully special! Enjoy your Uncle living so close by now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - around here the weather is about as fickle as it gets. Lol

      It really is special having him - and some of my favorite memories are of him doing mass outside by the lake at my Grandma's house. Pretty awesome when you have a connection that can make that happen. ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. He sounds pretty special! The soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! He is a very special "dude" ;) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Meghana! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  4. That tortellini soup looks good! It's our local grandchildren's favourite pasta! You're blessed to have a wonderful and special uncle. I'm glad he has built himself a house in his retirement in the northwoods near you and still officiates at some services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda!! I feel so blessed to have him close by now too. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  5. That view is still gorgeous, but I think I am ready for spring now. :) How nice to have your Uncle officiate your wedding and baptize your son, makes it extra special. We had two nuns in our family, one on my mom’s side, and one on my dad’s side. The most patient women I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hon - but I agree, just totally thinking Spring now! We are blessed to have my sweet Uncle. And I believe there's something to that. Clergy folks need to have lots of patience. Lol ;) xoxo

      Delete
  6. That soup looks delicious! Lovely to see your wedding photos, what a good idea to have the wedding party facing the congregation, much nicer that way. What a special uncle you have :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison!! I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful Uncle. I love how he does that for weddings too - so the congregation is truly part of everything. ;) xoxo

      Delete