Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Not Quite Toile

Quite a while back I shared the bedding woes my daughter and I had over her bedspread.  When she "graduated" from her baby room to big Girl room - she decided that she wanted kind of a Paris/French theme. Her walls were already a neutral color and we both agreed with keeping it that way. We picked out a pretty chandelier and got rid of a ceiling fan light fixture. She has pretty stained glass tiffany style lamps on her dressers. We also accented the room with pictures and odds and ends that said "Paris" about them.  But we could not agree on a bedspread we liked to go with the look. She'd just been using old bed covers for now.


We looked through catalogs and online. We looked around several department stores, but didn't find anything we liked. I was drawn to all things toile, as I love how it looks...and I think it would have been pretty to have a bit of something more traditional looking too. But my daughter was drawn more to bold and graphic modern kinds of things. Even though I didn't like the more contemporary look - it was her room after all - so I was willing to let her pick what she wanted. Well she hadn't settled on anything yet, when we both happened to be shopping together in Target for something completely different and spotted the bedspread we ended up choosing.  Annie's room is made up of creams and tans with accents of black and hot pink for the French feel. The cover we found is mostly kind of a deep burgundy rose pink color with some blue edging (which is one of my daughter's favorite colors). It kind of has a pattern that reminds me a little of toile, while still feeling more contemporary to my daughter. We're both happy with the result.

Pretty pattern, yet the colors and "feel" my daughter liked better than toile. And every Parisian room should have a big hot pink furry pillow, shouldn't it?




She recently changed her furniture all around so the layout of her room is different than before too.







Love the burgundy velvet piping all around the edge too. 

So as you can see....it's not quite toile, but it will do. ;) 





17 comments:

  1. I really like the bedspread! I can see the deep wine colour better in the close-up. Isn't it nice when you both win in choosing something for the home (even though it is her room)? You've done a great job at decorating her bedroom all over. My daughter once begged me to paint her room lime green ... which I did. But I always hated it because the colour even reflected onto our faces and we looked ill when we walked into the room. Now she has matured to a lovely aqua which we both enjoy :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy!! Thanks Sweetie. The lime green room sounds adorable - and funny! Lol I know exactly what you mean. Annie & I did enjoy this project - we'll see what teenager hood brings on in a few more years. ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. A perfect choice, with the blue giving it a bit of extra pizazz, imo. A Paris theme is very nice for a growing girl. My daughter wanted a black room when she was 14. The compromise was I made her a black bed cover, and black/pink curtains. It was not my choice, but you have to let them express themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! It sounds like your compromise was perfect for your daughter's room and I bet it looked pretty cool. Agreed that they do need to express themselves...within reason. Lol! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. It is lovely bedding that anyone would enjoy! I really like it anyway. Love the crochet blanket too! Did you make that? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! We're both pretty happy with how it all turned out. The crochet blanket was actually done by Sandra from Diary of a Stay at Home Mom. She was selling things when they moved and I bought it from her. Have I mentioned how much I love my talented blogland Friends? ;) xoxo

      Delete
    2. Do you know I did think of Sandra when I saw it! How funny is that. xx

      Delete
  4. It's perfect! Her room looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! She's a pretty happy "French Girl" ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. She has a lovely room and the bedding is perfect! I love the colors and the velvet trim. Everything looks so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen!! It was fun to pick things out together and figure it out. We're pretty happy with the results. Can't wait until we can jazz up her garden out the window soon too! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. That pattern is the perfect compromise! I love Annie's room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaww - thanks Laura! I think so and love it too. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. It looks great, Carrie and how fine that you both agreed on it! Can be hard with strong minded daughters!! And the crochet blanket goes nicely in Annie's room too :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! You're so right - how sometimes it can be a struggle to agree. Lol But we're happy it turned out. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Love Annie’s room!! Oh….and her desk!! With those little cubby wholes in it, I LOVE those!! The bedspread is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie-girl! I love her desk too - although she sure loves to fill it up with STUFF!! Lol

      Happy with our outcome. ;) xoxo

      Delete