Thursday, April 7, 2016

Slow Cooker Turkey Breast & Stuffing




Last weekend I made this really yummy turkey breast. I was looking for a cozy recipe since I knew our forecast was cold & snow. I found the recipe in my Fix-It and Forget-It book. It was really moist and tender because it slow cooked for several hours and all on a bed of dressing. But I'm choosing to call it stuffing because even though it wasn't stuffed in the turkey - it still had all the flavor of the drippings, just like a stuffing, as the turkey cooked right on top of it. So flavorful! It was also really easy! Here's the recipe:

Slow Cooker Turkey and Dressing
Fi
x-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, page 185
Makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-6 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-qt.
Ingredients:
8 oz. pkg., or 2 6-oz. pkgs., stuffing mix
½ cup hot water
¼ stick (2Tbsp.) butter, softened
1 onion, chopped
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup dried cranberries
3-lb. boneless turkey breast
¼ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1. Spread dry stuffing mix in greased slow cooker.
2. Add water, butter, onion, celery, and cranberries. Mix well.
3. Sprinkle turkey breast with basil, salt, and pepper. Place over stuffing mixture.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 5-6 hours, or until turkey is done but not dry. Check the interior of the turkey with a meat thermometer. It should reach at least 165 degrees F.
5. Remove turkey. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
6. Slice and keep warm until ready to serve.
7. Gently stir stuffing. Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
8. Place stuffing on platter, topped with sliced turkey.

**the only things that I did different than above is that I added a few other dried herbs that I had - and I also made a little butter mixture with some of those herbs in it, and spread that under & on top of the skin of the turkey breast before placing in the cooker. You can see in the photo above. Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds so yummy, Carrie! I love the idea of Thanksgiving any time! I'll bet your kitchen smelled amazing, too. Hope it warms up for you soon, girlfriend. You deserve some spring sunshine! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did smell amazing Karen! Definitely a keeper for when you want turkey dinner quick & easy. Yum! Thanks & sounds like sunshine is coming! xoxo

      Delete
  2. That sounds amazing!!!!
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good! I'm going to save this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I bet it was lovely and juicy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It was very moist & tender. Yum! xoxo

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great alternative to having turkey when you don't want to cook a whole bird. Will pass this along to my chef hubby :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly couldn't have been easier Wendy - and with such yummy results!! ;) xoxo

      Delete