Thursday, April 23, 2015

Flavors of Spring/Summer

Well even though weather here has been less cooperative, I'm still thinking lots of Spring thoughts.  And so today I thought I'd share some of the flavors I'm dreaming on for the season.


First of all, check out these little beauties!:



I found this recipe at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and I just love her fun recipes! She makes so many wonderful sweets and many are easy like this - which started with a cake mix! And you can see how pretty they turned out too! I actually made these last summer & these photos were from then - who knew I'd start a blog to share them! Lol They were so soft and yummy & full of the flavors of a banana split - doesn't get more summer than that, does it?


Next, I need to share this wonderful olive oil place that I was introduced to by a friend - and I'm now in love!


This place was so fun! It's a place local (across the lake) to where I live and they had all kinds of spigot containers filled with all different flavors of fresh olive oils and vinegars. They had little tasting cups by each one so you could try them too. They would get fresh shipments in regularly. They had some bottles pre-filled and if not they would take them and fill them right in front of you out of the big containers.  It was wildly fun to taste all the different flavors - mind you just a baby sip of each. I used this lemon olive oil the other night to roast with asparagus. I simply drizzled the fresh asparagus with this olive oil and sprinkled it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (I didn't have fresh garlic on hand), and little bit of shredded parmesan cheese and tossed it all together. Roasted it in a 400* oven for about 15-20 minutes and when it was done I squeezed some fresh lemon juice over it and more parmesan. Best side dish ever! And just imagine it grilled!



I also picked up some peach vinegar and some aged (15 years) balsamic vinegar. The balsamic is so good and is thick like syrup. I can just imagine using it for marinades to grill meat this summer and in many balsamic salad dressings:

This is a salad off of my pinterest board that I have titled "salads" - and wouldn't it be so wonderful with good aged balsamic!?! You can see the link to my pinterest in the right hand column and if you go on my salad board you can get a direct link to this recipe.


And the peach vinegar just tastes like summer and I plan to use that in fruit salad and make a vinaigrette with some honey and fresh mint as well - maybe a squirt of lime. MMmmmm!! And even use it in a marinade for grilling chicken and then use it to make a fresh peach salsa to go over the top. OH my mind is spinning with possibilities! 



Here are a few more salads that I "pinned" off of pinterest:




Again, feel free to click on my pinterest board in right column for link to all of these recipes

 I sure hope this post inspires you to think fresh Spring & Summer flavors too!






10 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious!
    I was just thinking that I am so ready for Steve to start grilling!!!
    Those cookies look so good. : )
    Have a cozy day...snowing here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo!

      Finally some blue skies and sun today, but still in the 40's - so I am thinking cozy thoughts too.I did make chicken wild rice soup and berry muffins last night.
      However, going through summery recipes and I've already grilled several times so far! Take that Mother Nature! Lol

      Hope you're having a cozy day too. xo

      Delete
  2. All those salads look amazing! May not be the exact same recipe but I've made a similar BBQ chicken salad before and it was amazing - especially the dressing!
    I'm definitely going to start following you on Pinterest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I will find you on pinterest too - yay!!
      Happy weekend ahead! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh my - it all looks so good! Those salads definitely look like Spring and Summer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just craving all of these flavors! Bring on the season of eating light but lots of flavor! Yum!

      Happy weekend Hon xo

      Delete
  4. I love buying interesting vinegars and glazes. Several months ago I bought balsamic glaze and used it in a recipe called 'parmigiana gelato'. Sounds intriguing, right? lol if I make it again I'll remember to take pics and post because it makes a great appetizer. Last night I made asparagus almost exactly like your recipe! Great minds...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - do share if you make it again!! Well truly- great mind do think alike. Lol

      I can't wait to get it lots of flavorful light dishes for the season. And grilling is my favorite!!!
      Happy weekend darling Doreen! xo

      Delete
  5. Delicious post! I just followed your cookery-related boards on Pinterest (I hadn't noticed you were on Pinterest before today!).....I'll message you, via Pinterest, of any recipes that I come across that I think you might like! The salads all look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Helen - I'm following you now too! ;)

      Delete