Thursday, April 2, 2015

Old Fashioned Lemon Bars

I happen to be a big lover of lemon. I think it's one of those things though, that either you really like lemon or you don't.  However, things like lemonade I can't overdue as it's too acidic for me - so maybe that's why some folks don't like lemon?


Well one of my favorite lemon dishes is lemon bars. I think they're just perfect for this time of year and sing Spring to me. Maybe it's all that lovely yellow goodness? Lemons just make me smile, but I'm weird that way. Anyway, back to the bars:


beginning to gather ingredients


squeezing my lemons for my fresh lemon juice



One of my favorite lemon bar recipes is this one that my Mom-in-law gave me long ago for old fashioned lemon bars. Just one of those tried and true ones.


Full recipe will follow but here's the basic steps. First of all you blend some flour, powdered (confectioner) sugar, and butter with a pastry blender until blended then pat down into your pan. Bake for about 25 minutes.


Then take eggs (slightly beaten), granulated sugar, and fresh lemon juice and mix in bowl. Then gently fold in a little flour and baking powder. The photo on the left is folding the flour and baking powder in  - and the photo on the right is after it's mixed in.



Pour that mixture over your crust and then bake about another 20-25 minutes until set.



Then make it rain Baby! Lol With powdered sugar that is...and isn't that one of the best parts of a lemon bar?




Then cut a piece. Light your 'fresh picked flowers' scented soy candle. Now dig in to enjoy a blissful moment to yourself (if at all possible).


Old Fashioned Lemon Bars:

*this is the full recipe - I halved the recipe in the photos above in my 8x8 pan. Full recipe in 9x13 pan.

2 c. flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter
Blend these ingredients together with a pastry blender or fork until fully combined and pat down into lightly greased 9x13 pan.  Bake for 25 mins in 350* oven - or until light golden brown.

4 eggs slightly beaten
2 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. lemon juice
Beat these ingredients together. Then gently fold in 4 Tbsp flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder.  Bake for an additional 20 -25 minutes until bars are set (don't wiggle in pan).

Let cool slightly and dust with powdered sugar.

**When I make these bars I actually decrease the sugar slightly and increase the lemon juice a little as I like mine a little more lemony but make to your preference. So when I halved this recipe instead of 1 cup I used about 3/4 c. sugar and instead of 3 Tbsp I used about 4 Tbsp or so lemon juice.












13 comments:

  1. Ooooh! These look scrumptious and perfect for Easter... Maybe I can convince my husband to try making them with my boys this weekend since I won't be able to just yet! :)

    Blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if they do - I hope you enjoy them! Congrats again on your sweet new bundle too. So excited for you all!! What a lovely Easter gift.

      Blessings for a beautiful holiday weekend. xo

      Delete
  2. Delicious looking recipe! Am going to give it a go this weekend (I love lemon too!) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy! I think the biggest tip I can say is don't overcook them. Otherwise, they're really pretty easy (& so yummy!)

      Have a wonderful Easter weekend sweet Helen & your Kiddos too! xo

      Delete
  3. Thank you!!!!!
    Never made these before...
    Was a bit apprehensive.
    But now?!?!
    Yay !!!
    Happy and blessed Easter, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothin' to it Billie Jo! Lol Hope you enjoy if you make them in the future.

      Happy and blessed Easter to You & Yours too! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love lemon too!!

    Happy Easter!!

    Thank you for all of your lovely comments and for being so wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you too Amy (& your family). And all comments are completely true and deserving. ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Yum! I think I need to make these again. I always add more lemon juice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon just = Spring, doesn't it?? Yes, I think our recipes were pretty similar. And I think great minds just think alike. Lol

      Happy Easter weekend!! xo

      Delete
  6. Mmm, I love lemon too, I'll have to try these! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Carrie, you know how I feel about lemons...next to coconut they're one of my fav things to eat. Coconut lemon bars would pretty much be heaven on earth to me. lol

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - you're on to something there Doreen! I may work on that so stay tuned! Lol

      Happy Easter Lovie! xo

      Delete