Thursday, April 30, 2015

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

Happy Thursday! We're so close to the weekend and I'm excited for it as it's supposed to be pretty mild and lovely here! Hoping to soak up some good sunshine and probably do some cooking on the grill.


But today I want to share a yummy recipe I made the other day in my slow cooker. I can't remember where I found the recipe - I know it was online somewhere, but I just typed it up myself and don't have the reference anymore. It was easy and really flavorful. Sweet and sour is always so yummy with it's sweet and tang that go together so well. 






It's so easy as you just mix together some yummy things like green peppers (I threw some orange peppers in there too) and water chestnuts and onion and pineapple. I took this photo before I added the pineapple, so just imagine it with some lovely pineapple tidbits in there too.


Then just throw some frozen meatballs in your slow cooker. Top with the pineapple and veggies and sweet and sour mixture and cook on low 6-8 hours. Make up some rice (I like basmati) and top it with this flavorful dish and dinner is served! 


SWEET & SOUR MEATBALLS
28 oz package of frozen meatballs
15 oz can of pineapple tidbits, drained (I kept & used some of the juice)
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, cut into chunks
8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
½ c. ketchup
½ c. brown sugar
½ cup apple cider vinegar (or white)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. soy sauce

Place meatballs in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over meatballs. Cook on low 6-8 hours. I like to serve mine over basmati rice. I also like to top with some cashews for crunch.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm!!! This definitely sounds like a keeper of a recipe!! Especially topped with the cashews, I bet they make it really tasty!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really tasty Amy! I'd recommend it if you like sweet and sour. ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm saving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Mari! It was really yummy. Hope you like it!!
      Happy weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Pinning this now!!!
    These look great for dinner but I'm even thinking they'd be easy and delicious to serve at my son's Christening....
    Thanks! Keep the recipes coming! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely would be great for that too Laura! I think it'd be a very easy recipe to double if needed too.

      They were really good - even the next day. Hope you enjoy! Happy weekend. xo

      Delete
  5. Oh this looks yummy, meatballs are a favourite in this house! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really good Alison - if you try them hope you like them! ;) xo

      Delete