Monday, April 20, 2015

Quilt Scrapbook Pages

I began scrapbooking about 12 years ago. It started as something I wanted to try because I had great photos from a trip I had taken to Europe and wanted to put them together nicely in an album. At that time I was working with a gal who was big into it and told me I should go with her to one of her scrapbook classes she attended regularly. Well I did go with her and the rest is history! I fell in love with scrapbooking and never looked back.


When I went to that first class I talked my mom-in-law into going with me. She has always been more like a best friend, and 2nd Mom, than just a mother-in-law to me. She fell in love with scrapbooking too and for many years it was something we loved to do together. When my kiddos were little I would often bring my scrapbooking to her house and we would work on pages while taking breaks to dance to the Wiggles. LOL They are some of my favorite memories with her. My MIL has completed many beautiful heritage and family albums, not to mention a through-the-years album for each of her sons. 


I'm so happy she agreed to see what scrapbooking was about and we have those precious albums she created... as now with her Alzheimer's she is to a point where she can no longer focus or scrapbook anymore. It absolutely breaks my heart and I miss that special time with her. But the great thing about scrapbooking is that those treasured albums remain. 


When we went to regular classes it was so fun because our consultant would have a new page ideas each time. So she would give us the basic template to work with but we would work with our own papers and colors and do it our way. One of the times we worked on quilt looking pages, where she showed us how to take square and triangle shapes and put them together- much the way you would put together the shapes to form a pattern on a quilt. I have my MIL's version from the album she made for my hubby:

She did a center square and then triangles one way around each edge of the square, and then the other triangles to form the star shape. I love the "stitches" she put on with marker. She then made & cut out her own paper needle (too cute) and put real thread through it. The photos were several different family and relative photos all through the years and she came up with the title "stitched into time".  Notice my adorable red head hubby down in the bottom right with the smiley face t-shirt - with my mother & father-in-law and brother-in-law.




I had different kinds of photos and theme and so I went a different route:

I used these adorable photos of my son when he was 2 years and playing in his little pool. I wanted to go with bright and summery colors so I used bright yellow and "water" looking paper.  It's so fun to look back at these pages because they were taken at our first house, where we lived for many years, and it brings back so many memories. And that's what scrapping is all about!


I chose to do 4 separate squares and then place my triangles in a pattern around them to do the quilted star.  My kiddo obviously really liked his chocolate ice cream popsicle that day! Ha!




Here's the full layout all together. Such fun memories that remind me of how fast time flies...



12 comments:

  1. I've always felt that these albums were treasures, and you just showed why. Not only is it the photos, but the love that goes into creating each page. I'm glad you have these from your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit it right on the nose Mari. The love that goes into each page is priceless.

      Someday I need to get my hands on some of the other albums my MIL made. I haven't seen them in ages and there is such wonderful bits of her in there - and it would be almost like having her back for a little while. Maybe something I can share in the future.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. You and your mother in law both did beautiful jobs on your albums! Pursuing a hobby with family is always a special endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Bethany! Totally agree with you. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. How sweet that you and your MIL shared this hobby together! You both made such precious pages using the quilting theme. I am so sorry that she has Alzheimer's. As you know, my Dad suffered with the same disease. She is lucky to have you by her side. Love the sweet photos - your hubby and son are cutie-pies. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen.
      I know you can definitely relate with how difficult it is and how it feels like one constant long good-bye. The irony to things is that I was a social worker and worked for many years in long term care with folks that suffered from alzheimers and dementia. It's so much different when it's your own family member though.

      Blessings dear Lady. xoxo

      Delete
  4. That 'water' looking paper really catches your eye and goes perfectly with those pool pages.
    What a blessing to be so close with your MIL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your sweet comment today! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Laura! I loved how well that paper worked too! It's so fun to look back at these old layouts - it often helps inspire ideas for new ones.

      xoxo

      Delete
    3. Also, wanted to say I write from the heart dear Gal and meant every word on my comment. xoxoxo

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. How good that you were able to share a hobby with your mother in law. The idea of using a quilt theme works really nicely. Your MIL is lucky to have such a caring daughter in law xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Alison! such sweet comments. xoxo

      Delete