Thursday, April 16, 2015

Apple crisp

Did I ever tell you about the time that I was published in a cookbook and felt famous for 5 minutes?...


Well I was - and I did - and here's the story. I have always been a big Mary Engelbreit fan. I love her artwork, her cards, or scrapbook goodies etc. I used to have a subscription to her Home Companion magazine for many years, which isn't published anymore, but I remained on her email newsletter list. The Mary Engelbreit people sent out an email to fans on her newsletter list, and other circles, about a request for dessert recipes to be submitted for this cookbook:

Well being a fan of Mary and of baking I sent in a recipe. Then many months went by and I kind of forgot all about it.  But low and behold after those several months went by I received this very book, autographed by Mary, with this letter in the mail:


don't you love the inside cover? so adorable.


Well needless to say I was very excited!! I had sent in the recipe for my Gram's apple crisp - which I had tweaked just a bit. Apple crisp in my family was always this dish - almost more cobbler style and without the oats and crumble kind of topping you see in a lot of "crisps"- but still with kind of a crunchy topping to it! Heavenly with ice cream especially. There are many other wonderful recipes in this book and I highly recommend it! (just my opinion - no compensation here for saying that). 


So that's my 5 minutes of fame, and something I would have shared more towards Autumn as that's more often when I make it and it looks like this around here:


But I was looking through this book the other day so thought I'd share it now.  I won't make you wait any longer - Lol. Here's my recipe for apple crisp from the very page in the M.E. cookbook:


The only thing I'd like to add is that I usually sprinkle a little cinnamon/sugar mixed together over the top while it's still warm. It kind of melts into the top of the crisp and gives a crispier crunch to it. Yum!




photo from last Fall when I was making this crisp - Mmmmm





16 comments:

  1. That is a legitimate claim to fame in my book! ;) And how special that it's a family recipe.
    I love vanilla ice cream to top off anything apple but just curious, what is cinnamon whipped topping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Laura! ;)

      Vanilla ice cream & apple do just go hand in hand, don't they?

      Cinnamon whipped topping is basically cinnamon cool whip. Often times in the Fall you can find it in the freezer section. Xo

      Delete
  2. That makes you a published author, definitely!! How exciting to see your Gram's recipe in print :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does kind of feel that way Alison - published author. Hmmm - well I sure like the sound of that anyway.

      And it is extra special that it's my Gram's recipe. Xo

      Delete
  3. So exciting!!!!!!
    And Apple Crisp???
    Looks amazing.
    And wouldn't you know...I have extra apples left over from that pie I made!
    Guess what we are making tomorrow???
    Have a cozy evening my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh - enjoy Billie Jo! This crisp warm with some ice cream is my fave dessert on the planet!

      Have a lovely weekend! Xo

      Delete
  4. That is so cool! I'd say that makes you famous. :) And the recipe looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well it's fun to think of it as famous for 5 mins anyway. Lol

      This truly is one of my very favorite desserts ever!

      Happy weekend Mari! Xo

      Delete
  5. Oh, brilliant! I love Mary Engelbreit too - you must have been totally over the moon to have been chosen!!! How lovely to see you Gram's recipe in the book (thank you so much for sharing!)...funnily it's quite similar to a recipe my Gran used to make...I like your idea of adding cinnamon and sugar to the top to make it crispy (yum!)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love ME too Helen. I had a lot of her artwork in Annie's nursery.

      And I guess great Gram's think alike. Lol How cool that you grew up with a similar recipe. :)

      Happy weekend Sweetie! Xo

      Delete
  6. How fantastic is that!!! You must have been so excited. My Mum was in a charity cookbook that was published last year with two recipes and I was so excited for her, so you must have been so thrilled yourself to have your recipe published!!! Yay!!!!! You will have to include that in the recipe book you are making for your daughter. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really weird to see my name right there in print! And it was truly thrilling!! Something crossed off the bucket list. Lol

      Oh you bet that recipe will be top in Annie's album! It's a fave dessert for both of my kiddos. They get so excited when I make it. Lol

      Happy weekend darling Gal! Xo

      Delete
  7. How exciting, Carrie! I have wanted this cookbook for a while and now I know I have to have it! Well, aren't you just full of surprises.....I am ordering this asap! I loved her magazine and have all my copies :) and a few of her books. You go girl! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting, Carrie! I have wanted this cookbook for a while and now I know I have to have it! Well, aren't you just full of surprises.....I am ordering this asap! I loved her magazine and have all my copies :) and a few of her books. You go girl! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - i was floored when I received that book and letter. It felt pretty cool.

      I still have most of my copies of her magazine too!! I couldn't bear to part with them & was so bummed when she stopped publishing it.

      Lots of good recipes in there too - you wouldn't be disappointed. xo

      Delete
  9. Whooohoooo! Look at you! So cool!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete