Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Handmade Baptism Gown

It seems lately on Tuesdays I enjoy sharing something scrapbooking or crafting. Well today I thought I'd show a layout from when my daughter was baptized as her gown was extra special - with an extra special story.


Here is one page that was separate than the full layout - as I did 3 pages total in her baby scrapbook. I had been going through some things the other day and I came across her gown which I have packaged up to save for when she may want to hand it down to her potential kiddos. So it reminded me that I had scrapbooked about it in her book and the special way her gown came to be.


Here's my beautiful Mom (I often call her my Mumsy) and she had taken up knitting and crocheting just a few years before this time period. She loved it for many years (now it's hard on her back) and she became quite good at it! She offered to make Annie a handmade gown, bonnet, booties & blanket for her special day.  I was so touched and of course accepted and off we went to do some shopping!


Love this photo of big brother Aaron being so sweet with his baby Sis.

So when Mom and I went shopping she had me pick out the yarn and embellishments. It's hard to see from the photos but the yarn had almost shiny threading running through it - so it kind of sparkled. And I picked out pretty rosette kind of ribbon for the bonnet and bodice. I also picked out rose buttons for up by her neck. 


That day was also special, as we celebrated this sacrament in a different church than ours for a beautiful reason.  I named my daughter after my Grandma Anne with whom I was always very close. She was too frail to travel so we brought the baptism to her and my family's church there. She was very moved by it all- it was such an amazing and holy day!


You can see my sweet Gram in the upper right of this scrapped page proudly holding up her namesake. 



When I was looking for materials to do these pages I loved the cross background paper I found - and then I saw this sticker and thought it was so perfect as it looks  like Annie's beautiful gown!



Here's the full layout of these pages and the wonderful memories of baptism for our beautiful Anne Julia.


12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness what a beautiful christening gown!!! That really is an amazing family heirloom to be treasured and used for, hopefully, many generations yet to come! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It is such a treasure to me and hope Annie will feel the same way one day for her own potential kiddos. ;)

      That's why I need to learn this crochet stuff that you all are so talented with - sigh- maybe one day. Lol xo

      Delete
  2. That gown is truly a treasure! I know so much love was put into it. Your pages turned out so nice.
    PS - I love your daughters name, both because it's pretty and because of the heritage it shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Mari. Both of my kiddos have a family connection with their names, and my own name has one too. I just love that extra specialness given to a little life just beginning.

      God bless dear Friend. xo

      Delete
  3. What a special story. I'm still waiting for my girl so that I can dress her in the christening gown that my mom, aunt, and sisters all wore...
    I love the name Annie to begin with (it's on our girls' name list ;). But the fact that she's named for your grandmother makes it even better! My second son is named after my grandfather and since it's a not commonly used anymore I often get a double take when I tell people his name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish for you a Girl one day - as it is special in a different way. However, we both know our kiddos are all blessings. ;)

      When I decided to name my daughter after my Gram I didn't tell her (we knew we were having a girl and the name). But after Annie was born I called and told my Gram and she couldn't speak because she was so emotional. Those moments just hit straight to the heart, don't they?

      My son has a family connection with his name as well. So you obviously understand what a neat and special thing it is including a family name and sharing for future generations too.

      Now you have me curious about your son's name! Lol I bet I'd love it as I love old fashioned classic names. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Carrie, I'm just seeing your reply now... Email me at laura.aspoonfulofjoy@gmail.com and I'll tell you my boys' names. And I'll send you a picture of #3 too. ;)

      Delete
  4. Such precious memories! Love the sweet gown and all the love that went into it <3 Love seeing the generations all together, too. It's wonderful that you still have the gown to pass down. A beautiful celebration of your darling little girl. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen - It makes my heart full to think of all the love that little gown represents and all the loving and prayerful stitches my Mom put into it.

      Can't wait for your new little One to share in such memories and treasures too!! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  5. What a lovely story, Carrie. Your grandma must have been so thrilled that you named Annie after her and that you held the baptism near to her too. My three have middle names after family members, it's a special way to honour them isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison!

      It is such a wonderful way to honor those special folks that paved the path before us - I completely agree. How wonderful that your kiddos have that special honor in their names too.

      xoxo

      Delete