Saturday, April 25, 2015

Scraptastic Saturday:Summer Berry Poke Cake

Today I need to dedicate this post to my dear blogger friend Alison, as I've been promising to show her what a poke cake is for a while now. Well, today is finally the day Alison! For Scraptastic Saturday I'm sharing:




What's nice about poke cakes is that they're so versatile. You can change them up just by using different flavored cake mixes, jellos or puddings. For this cake I made a basic white cake (nice and light made with egg whites).


Once the cake is finished baking take a wooden spoon (or can even take tines of a fork) and poke holes all over the top. Thus, "poke cake".  No rhyme or reason here - just poke away!


Then take whichever flavor gelatin mix you like (I used strawberry - but for berry poke cake any berry flavor will do) and pour boiling water & a little cold water until it's dissolved and pour over the holes of the cake.



You see how the gelatin then goes down into all the holes and crevices and colors and flavors the cake. Let it cool for at least an hour - then you can frost. I used basic white frosting, but you could also use cool whip as a topping.  Or other nice variations could be mixing some flavored yogurt into the cool whip topping and having a fluffy flavored icing. I haven't tried this but sounds so fun for kids - is to use kool aid powder mix to mix into the cool whip and flavor it and that would definitely change the color of the topping too! So imagine for Christmas you could use cherry gelatin, then use lime kool aid to make green icing and top with cherries! Possibilities are endless! As you see I liked topping mine with fresh berries (in the first photo).  What a light & perfect cake for summer, don't you think? Here's Jello brands' recipe for poke cake:




You can also use pudding mix to flavor and fill the poke cake as well. 






If you go on my pinterest link I think I have several different pudding poke cakes pinned if you'd like to check out more ideas. I'm linking with Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday.



scraptasticbutton

 



10 comments:

  1. We love these cakes, Carrie!!!!!
    The strawberry one is great in summer, and we make a lime one every year for St. Patrick's Day! : )
    I am so glad you shared them...
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your lime one from St. Patty's inspired me to want to make one Billie Jo! They're such fun - & yummy- desserts. The kiddos especially love it!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Haha! NOW I know! I am so pleased to find out what a poke cake is :-) thanks dear Carrie for sharing, they look delicious and I am going to try to make one as soon as I can! I will let you know how I get on... Hope you're having a super Saturday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy! they're so fun because you can change all the colors and flavors based on what you're interested in. Easy and yummy and fun for the kiddos!
      xo

      Delete
  3. Well there you go, I learned something new today!! I have never eaten or heard of poke cake before I heard you mention it and now I know what it is! Thank you for explaining. I hope that all is well with you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is such a funny name - but makes sense with what you do to the poor cake, right? Lol!!

      So happy to provide a new fun recipe for ya Hon! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Yum! That looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good Mari! With the white frosting it tasted a lot like a jelly roll. Great summer cake! xo

      Delete