Thursday, July 30, 2015

Banana Split Frozen Dessert

I must warn you - this dessert is not for the faint of heart, so if you're squeamish please turn away. This recipe is filled with a LOT of naughty ingredients!! But it's very yummy. 


This is an old Paula Deen dessert, which probably explains a lot. Lol! I think I just jotted down the ingredients at the time so I don't really have any specific amounts of anything, but quite honestly it doesn't matter. You can't really screw it up.


I started taking photos after partly making it - so I'll catch you up to this photo. First of all, I took a 9x13 pan and lined it with aluminum foil. Then I took 9 ice cream sandwiches and did 2 rows of 4 the long way and one horizontal at the foot of the pan to make the bottom "crust".  Then I cut up about 4 big bananas into slices all over the ice cream sandwiches. Then I heated up a jar of hot fudge and poured that over the bananas. Next, I sprinkled toffee bits and cut up maraschino cherries all over the hot fudge.


The next layer involved heating up a jar of butterscotch topping and poured that over all. Are you still with me or did you pass out from sugar shock already?


We're almost there! Then I added another 9 more ice cream sandwiches.... well to "sandwich" all of the ingredients inside. 


The final step is to spread a tub of cool whip all over the top and sprinkle a few more toffee bits over all. Then put in your freezer for several hours to set. I usually just put it in like it is for at least an hour or so and once it starts getting pretty "set" I then place more foil over the top. 


This is one of those "I only make once a year" kind of desserts and you can see why. I made this when I had my cousins and aunt here for a visit as it's great for a crowd! It's so rich that you can only handle a small piece with all of those layers in it. It's great for summertime as it's usually pretty frozen. So take a very sharp knife and dunk it in a glass of hot water for each time you cut to make it easier. Then serve outside on a hot day as then it starts melting and getting just the right ooey gooey as you eat. 

And you might want to keep an insulin shot nearby! I might only be kind of kidding. But you only live once right? So enjoy!! 





12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! My teeth hurt from just looking at all that sugar!! LOL Yum to the max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - crazy sweet Terri!! Bring your tooth brush. Lol! xo

      Delete
  2. Gotta love Paula Deen! ;) This looks right up my husband's alley - it's all his favorite desserts in one dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite tasty Laura! Pretty sweet but can hit the spot on a hot summer day (with a BIG glass of water) ;0) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That looks sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect word for it Mari!! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  4. Definitely only a once a year thing, but oh so well worth it that once a year I imagine!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth it - and you don't need much. But once a year it definitely fills the sugar quota! Lol xoxo

      Delete
  5. Ohmygoodness, the dessert both looks and sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It's sweet but very yummy ;) xo

      Delete
  6. And here I thought you were killing me with the hash browns! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya - if the hashbrowns don't get you, this surely will! :)

      Delete