Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Coloring my World

OK folks - I have a confession to make. This is difficult, I'm even ashamed to admit it the fact that I have an addiction. It's been consuming me for weeks now. ::sigh:: I don't know how to say this so I'll just come right out with it. 

I HAVE A COLORING ADDICTION!!! Please send help now! 

I only half joke as it's true that I've been enjoying my adult coloring books much more than I should be. I have meaningful projects to get done like my kiddos' scrapbooks. And wonderful summer reading piling up in my ipad. But I'm obsessed with coloring the next mandala or flower scene I can get my hands on. Here's an idea of what I've been doing:




Colored pencils have been my tools of choice. I like being able to blend colors a bit and they're so good for that, plus they're easier for coloring in the little tight spaces. Especially on mandalas.




Love the fallish colors on this one - but no I'm not thinking Fall thoughts yet!!



These were both done with color crayons. The sun mandala was actually done with a bit of both (crayons and pencil). I've actually done a lot more mandalas too, but these are just some quick photos I've taken recently. I've done many more pages (again I'm sort of embarrassed to say). Lol



These are the culprits! Some reasonably priced adult coloring books from Barnes & Noble. There is just something so relaxing, though, about putting on some music or listening to a podcast and playing with color. I just love it! What is also nice is if I try to do some crafting or drawing with my MIL, she's just not capable of focusing or doing much. But if I hand her some colors and a page she focuses much longer and does very well with coloring something in. Here's one of her pages in progress:

 

The other nice thing that makes me feel better is that I have my Mom completely addicted too! hee hee  I think she's colored even more pages than I have yet! We trade pages at times too. We both just love flipping through and looking at our completed work and how we played with colors in different ways. I like leaving some white and almost "negative space". My daughter has colored a few and she's into an explosion of color and colors EVERYTHING. I love it all!! 


So do any of you color in adult coloring books and joined the latest craze? Do you have other fun "craft" addictions? Please tell me I'm not alone!!!





16 comments:

  1. No you're not alone! After "borrowing" some of my daughter's books I bought some for myself, including the Secret Garden one, but it's no nice I can't bring myself to actually Colour it! I was wondering if I should just photocopy the pages ?! Our newsagent keeps having random ones in as well, they're a bit pricey but I'm finding it hard yo resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for company in my addiction! Lol Thanks Jill!
      I don't think I've seen the secret garden books - now I'll need to check that out. Photo copy is a great idea if you want to save the integrity of the book. I think the relaxation and the joy of getting lost in color is priceless. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried this yet, but I was looking at some of these books at Hobby Lobby today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Mari! But be forewarned of how addicting it can be. Lol Maybe Bob could join you? Couples coloring...could be on to something there. Hhmmmm?
      xo

      Delete
  3. Waving furiously!!!!! Saying 'Hello'!!!! Ooh, I always do some colouring in every day.....about 20 minutes or so (it's so great, just lets me relax so much!).....I have my eye on the 'Advanced Style' colouring book.....and am doing mandalas at the moment....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellloooo my Helen!!!! Missing you Lovie. ;)
      I have to see what this "advance style" is about - sounds intriguing! I just knew you'd be a coloring kind of Gal. Lol
      Yay for kindred spirits. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Helen!! So good to hear from you!! Now see, if we all lived close to one another we could get together and color…like the old fashioned sewing circles, LOL. I promise I would share my crayons...if Carrie would share her pencils, lol. ;)

      Delete
    3. OOooohhh - LOVE that idea Carrie Ann - and yes I promise i would share. And bring the treats!!

      Delete
  4. I have heard about this and would surely enjoy it. I just don't have time right now. Blogging, Facebook, a full-time job and a husband/home to care for..... it's best for me to stay away from coloring books. Your work is lovely, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one busy Gal dear Terri - maybe you need coloring relaxation therapy more than any of us! Lol
      But if it would just be adding something to the list - then yes best to stay away. It does have a pull that gets you hooked. ;)
      thanks so much for the sweet comment too. I'm loving it and if it becomes a true problem than I'll have to stop too!! Lol
      xo

      Delete
  5. Oh, you are not alone!! I have to look into these “adult” coloring books, never heard of them, I still just color in the kids ones. :D I got a Minions one for my birthday, LOL. Really want to do the Mandalas. So relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I LOVE the Minions! They always make me laugh. ;)

      You need to do mandalas - pure therapy!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh Carrie, I just got two of those coloring books! I have the Nordic and the Scandinavian books. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You smart Lady you - I knew you were from Wisconsin. Ha!! ;) xo

      Delete
  7. Don't worry, lovely lady, you are not alone!! I've bought a colouring book for our summer holidays (which, as you know, haven't started yet!) I am holding back from diving in straight away as I know I won't get much else done once I've started!!
    What a great diversion for your MIL too and something that you can do together. Keep on colouring, I say :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I second that my Dear!! I will keep coloring and I hope that you get to begin soon!!! xoxo

      Delete