Monday, July 6, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday

HHM


Happy Monday! Back to business after a lovely holiday weekend. It was so great - from family & friend time...to good food...to fireworks and fun!  I hope those of you that celebrated Independence day also were safe and had lots of fun. But July 4th or not - hope everyone had a terrific weekend!  I feel like the summer will go so fast now. July tends to be a busy month to fit in all the final summer events so it's gonna fly on by!! Then August around here is almost pre-Fall. So getting ready to soak up lots of summer while I can...starting with this week.


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Very gray and rainy. We had some storms last night and now the rain continues today. Raining steady right now, but not windy and stormy like last night. Just straight pouring rain. It was another one of those A.M.'s where it was hard to get up and head out into the weather to go pick up my MIL. And then add to it that I had my oral surgery last week to take out my dental implant and my mouth is still sore and the antibiotics I take upset my stomach.  Ugh. More prayers for FAST healing are greatly appreciated!


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Peanut butter and honey toast and berries and iced coffee for my MIL. I've munched a little bit but my stomach is upset due to antibiotics I'm on right now. Forced myself to eat something, though, as it helps with my pill.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Watching rain drops fall on my flowers and green green grass. There's really something quite pretty about summer rain.


RIGHT NOW I AM:

Watching morning news with my MIL and visiting with her a bit on and off. My daughter is listening to her music on her headphones next to me. The teenager is still sleeping away - ah the life of a teen! Lol I vaguely remember those days.  


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Pretty tidy overall. Did lots of cleaning yesterday to catch up after all the holiday weekend fun. Need to get a few more loads of laundry done to catch up a bit there. 


ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Guess it'll be a day of doing some rainy day activities around here. This afternoon we'll probably do some coloring and crafts and maybe I'll pull out some old home movies from past holidays and family trips together as my MIL gets a kick out of seeing those...especially when she and my FIL are in them too.



CURRENTLY READING:

Still reading Annie's piano teacher's biography he wrote. 


ON THE TV TODAY:

Pretty caught up...although I did tape some movies that I thought my hubby and I might watch on the weekend and we didn't. We watched some of the series shows we had taped (Deadliest Catch and the Profit) and of course we watched the U.S. Women's team kick butt in the World Cup soccer game last night! 


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

I need to make my grocery list yet, and will probably run tomorrow. I did make meatloaf last night for the in-law's to use up the ground beef I had and will make the side dishes today and bring the whole meal to drop off when I bring my MIL home late this afternoon. Still trying to figure out my menu though. Thinking I may use my aged balsamic vinegar to make a marinade for some chicken and grill it for a wonderful salad with fresh fruit and veggies in it. May throw something easy in the crockpot too - maybe an asian style beef and broccoli over rice. Also, going to do angel food cake with berries for dessert one night as I'm craving that - mmmm.



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I made a few cards recently that I'll share this week and continue with scrapbooking of course! 



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

I made a new recipe this past weekend, that I got from a fellow blogger friend, that was SO good and will share that this week too.


TIP OF THE WEEK:

I just wanted to send an update on the tip I shared a while back about putting plastic bags (like from the grocery store or target) that I keep to reuse. And how you can overlap lay them end to end on top of each other and roll up and place inside an old container (I used my round antibacterial wipes container once it was empty) that has a pop up top. I put it together this weekend and it works beautifully! Now all my lose plastic bags are in one contained spot and I open the top and i can pop out one bag at a time. 



FROM THE CAMERA:




I wanted to share a few photos from our July 4th weekend. Here's some shots of lanterns that my brother & sis-in-law had for us to release into the sky while we watched the fireworks. Also Annie with her sparkler and some shots from the parade - the kiddos love to run and grab the candy they throw from the floats. It was a fun weekend!



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

I thought I would share some videos from the weekend too of the fireworks my BIL shot off at his house and watch until the end - you'll see a lantern pop into view! Also, a video of the bagpipes from the parade....they always touch my heart and I loved the patriotic song they were playing. Happy week!

video

video

I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.




21 comments:

  1. Good morning, my friend!
    I am sorry about your surgery...please know I am praying for you!
    Take it slowly...and have a cozy day.
    Wish I lived next door...I'd be there to help. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - you're such a sweetheart Billie Jo, and I know you'd be here to help (& vice versa) if we lived close. Feeling a bit better each day and seems to be on the mend.
      Blessings for a lovely week my Dear. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hope you get better soon from the surgery Carrie. I had root canal in December and had to have a crown - lots of pain but no infection thankfully. It's (fingers crossed) sorted now though.
    Have a great week
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teeth things are just the worst, arent' they? A royal pain in the you-know-where! Thanks for the positive thoughts and I think I'm truly on the mend now and will have the permanent tooth in within a month or so. Glad your issue is sorted out too.
      Hope you have a lovely week as well!! xo

      Delete
  3. Love all the photos - looks like you had a FUN fourth!
    We could sure use some of your rain.
    Love that tip for the bags - I need to try that really soon.
    Hope you feel better really soon and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamy! It was fun and went too fast. ;)

      Doing a rain dance to send your way. Lol Hope it works!!

      Happy week to you dear Gal! xo

      Delete
  4. Oh no - hope you recover soon from that oral surgery. Dental work is not fun. I always have stomach issues when I take antibiotics too.
    Your meal plans sound delicious - especially Angel Food Cake! Do you make it from scratch?
    Great photos - looks like a fun-filled 4th! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! This tooth stuff stinks but getting better each day. Hopefully I'll have this "fake" tooth only a while longer.
      I haven't made my angel food cake from scratch (just a mix) - do you have a good recipe?
      Happy week ahead Sweetie! xo

      Delete
  5. Sky Lanterns!! ♥♥♥

    So sorry you’re not feeling well. I hate going to the dentist, oral surgery and antibiotics. Hope you are better soon!! Loved all your pics and video too, glad you had a wonderful holiday weekend. I know what you mean, it seems like summer will be over before we know it. But think of it this way, we are closer to Christmas!! LOL.

    Have a wonderful week dear Gal…prayers to feel better soon. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts sweetheart! I hope this tooth drama will be done once and for all SOON!

      Haha - a gal after my own heart bringing up Christmas already! I see they have Christmas in July on QVC with shopping and hallmark channel with movies! ;)

      Blessings for a beautiful week to you. xo

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had lots of wonderful celebrations over the weekend. Sorry you are not so well, hope you will be feeling a lot better soon. You will certainly be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind thoughts and prayers! They're SO appreciated. ;)

      Hope you have a wonderful week ahead. xoxo

      Delete
  7. What fantastic celebrations, it looks like you had a wonderful time! I hope your teeth feel better soon and the anti biotics do their job. I can sympathise with you as I was at the dentists yesterday, having some work done, it's awful isn't it?
    It's raining here too, our heatwave is over! Back to a normal English Summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain rain go away! Hope your lovely weather comes back soon. ;)

      I agree - teeth stuff are the worst! Ugh! It's getting better and I finally (after 2 years!) see the light at the end of the tunnel with this issue. I sure appreciate the kind thoughts dear Alison.

      Happy week to you! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Carrie don't take those pills on an empty stomach. If you can't chew, then drink a protein shake first. And drink plenty of water.
    I love all the pictures of your 4th! We went to our local dairy/bakery for an ice cream cone after my hunny came home from work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've been good about food with the pills (I HAVE to or it's not pretty). Sounds like you had some good treats over the 4th too! ;)

      Hope you have an equally sweet and lovely week Margot! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Hope you are feeling a bit better today! Those teenagers sure love their sleep don't they? I was impressed that mine rolled out of bed before 11 today ;) Great photos of your Fourth of July celebrations...makes me wish I'd snapped more than one of our weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean - truly a bit better each day. I'm so OVER this darn tooth issue though!! ;)

      I swear my teen is a vampire. Lol Did I really sleep that late when I was young too? And my 9 year old is the opposite - up at the crack of dawn. Lol

      Blessings for a lovely week! xo

      Delete
  10. Hi Carrie, your 4th looks like it was so much fun! Love those pretty lanterns! I know the rain is not fun in the summer, but could you pleeeeeease send some this way! It is so dry here in 'rainy Seattle'! Your menu ideas sound delish - I know your family must appreciate all of your good cooking :) Hope the sun comes out for you soon! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful sunny day today - no rain to send. But I'll do my rain dance (& hardest prayers) to get some your way! I'm sure you don't see a drought too often out there. ;)

      Blessings for a lovely (& wet) week my dear Karen! xoxo

      Delete
  11. I have been searching for a dentist for our daughter for months, and luckily social media came to the rescue. I found a local group online that ranted and raved about all local business, and yes, i found out that there is one dentist in town that is so great with kids that it is considered to be the best kept secret from those who love him.

    Freddie Gray @ Ballantyne Dentistry

    ReplyDelete