Thursday, July 2, 2015

July 4th Goodies

Well time is ticking down to the big July 4th weekend! I've been trying to decide what I want to make and I think I've decided on some dishes. 


First of all we'll be spending tomorrow (Friday) at my brother and sister-in-law's house. They live on a lake and always have a big July 4th party every year. They average probably 50-60 family members and friends! They're having it tomorrow instead of Saturday as that's when their lake shoots off their fireworks this year.


Here are some photos from several years ago. There's always lots of water sports, some volleyball and other games, fun food and fireworks. My SIL usually keeps the main food easy like sub platters, or pulled pork from a local restaurant and then it's a big potluck where everyone brings side dishes, appetizers and desserts. 

I'm planning to make my chicken pasta salad.  It's a lot like my veggie pasta salad, however I just use the rotini pasta with chicken, grapes, carrots and broccoli in it (no peas or cheese cubes). 


 


For dessert I'm thinking summer berry poke cupcakes. Just like the recipe for poke cake but in cupcake form. So pretty with all the red white and blue and fresh berries.



I'm also thinking I may make a pan of these homemade twix bars. 

Easy Homemade Twix Bars from Jamie Cooks It Up! #homemadecany, #jamiecooksitup, #easydessert

This is a recipe I have pinned on my "sweet treats" pinterest board.  My son loves them and has been requesting them. And for an appetizer I want to make these bacon and brown sugar crackers.

bacon and brown sugar crackers
photo credit: plain chicken

They are also something I pinned and can be found on my "appetizers" pinterest board.


Then Saturday morning (on the actual 4th of July) our city always has a local parade that we go watch.



A little group of us family and friends bring our lawn chairs and watch local groups and floats go by, candy is thrown to kiddos, and I love when the military groups and bag pipers (in their kilts!) walk by. Everyone in the crowd on both sides of the road stand and cheer for them as they march and pays them proper respect. Gets me choked up every time.


Often in the evening we'll have a little BBQ at our house with some friends and shoot off some little fireworks and light sparklers on the hill. And we'll sit by our fire pit and enjoy the evening on the bay. I'll probably grill basic summer stuff: burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob and we'll have chips and watermelon and lemonade.



Looking forward to another year's Independence holiday weekend where we God bless America and enjoy all my favorite "F's" : family, friends, food, fun and fireworks!



14 comments:

  1. Love the way your SIL in does the food. Perfectly simple for a laid back holiday like this especially with so much to do at their party! All the food you picked out look delicious but those homemade twix bars? Yum!
    Happy Independence Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so smart how she does the food too Laura! Everything was so yummy - and those twix bars were a big HIT!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Sounds perfect!
    Hope you enjoy it all! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Billie Jo - it was so fun and went too fast! Hope you had a blast too. ;)

      Delete
  3. I hope that you have a wonderful time!!! I saw your cupcake poke cakes pin and even before I read who pinned it, I knew it was you! I love that!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's too funny Amy! Love that too! ;)

      Delete
  4. I want to come too - the food looks delicious! I'm now following you on Pinterest.
    I like your favorite F's - they are mine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything turned out great and was so yummy! Gotta love those best "F's"!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. It sure sounds like a great weekend of celebrations!! I will check out your boards on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun and went too fast Terri! HOpe yours was great too! ;)

      Delete
  6. Ooh,it all sounds so great! Such fun! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Helen!! So nice to hear from you - and miss you!! Hope all is well dear Lady and you're having a lovely summer. You've been in my thoughts several times. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Wow! I hope you have a fabulous time, Carrie! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Alison - it was so fun and went too fast!! xo

      Delete