What is it about s'mores and summer? They just go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly. Or movie popcorn and raisinets (does anyone else put them in their popcorn?). Ok, maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, there's just something about that flavor combo of graham cracker, chocolate and marshmallow that is pure summer bliss!
However, sometimes you don't have the ability to have a campfire to roast your marshmallows so I went looking for some easy bars with those flavors. I have a few different s'mores dessert on my pinterest sweet treats page. I took some inspiration from a few different recipes and made up this one.
This recipe basically takes its method from making rice krispies bars. I took a 1/4 cup of butter and melted over medium heat on the stove with a standard bag (10 oz I believe) of marshmallows until it melted into gooey goodness. Then I stirred in almost a whole small (12 oz) box of golden graham cereal. Probably left a quarter of the box. And then I took a 1&1/2 to 2 cups of cold chocolate chips (I had them in the fridge) so they wouldn't all melt into the warm mixture. Then I poured it all into a greased 9x13 and once it was set up cut it into bars. They were ooey gooey good and all the perfect flavors of s'mores. Here's a similar recipe from my pinterest page from renee's kitchen adventures:
- 3 TBS unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 5 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 6 - 7 cups Graham cereal pieces
- 3 - 1.55 oz. Hershey's® Milk chocolate bars, broken into pips
- Spray a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray. In a large stock pot, melt the butter and salt over medium heat. Once it is melted, add 4 cups of the mini marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted.
- Take mixture off heat and add in the cereal and stir. Add in the extra cup of mini marshmallows and stir to just combine.
- Working quickly, pour half the mixture into the prepared pan and press down then top with half the Hershey's pips. Pour the rest of the mixture onto the chocolate and press down then top with the rest of the chocolate.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for several hours to set up OR place in refrigerator for about an hour.
- Remove from pan and cut into bars.
If you can make "real" s'mores over a fire (still the best way to have a s'more) I also recommend these variations:
*other candy bars instead of hersey's - like peanut butter cup. Yum!
*use nutella instead of hersey's and spread it on and add banana in the middle along with the marshmallow (blow your mind good!)
*use dark chocolate and put sliced strawberry in the middle along with the marshmallow.
As you can see I have a slight obsession with this dessert in the summer and I am now a master of all things s'mores! Lol Enjoy!!