Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Vintage/Heritage Scrapbook

I was very inspired for this post today, and before I share some scrapbooking I need to share this story. It's a bit deep and even kind of spiritual and I think just really cool.


My Grandma died a few years ago. The one that I was especially close to and named my daughter for her. Ever since then I sometimes feel I get little "signs" from her. Ways to maybe say hello. When I pray I often talk to her in my mind too and share with her that way. Sometimes even ask her for help with something if I need it.


Well this morning I was watering my flowers and thinking about the fact that I hadn't seen hummingbirds at all yet. For the past several years I would see hummingbirds visit my flowers almost daily in the summer. And hummingbirds happened to be my Gram's favorite bird and she always had feeders for them and had sun catchers of them in her windows and even often wore shirts or jewelry with hummingbirds. 


So I was watering the flowers thinking about the fact that summer feels nearly over (August around here is really pre-Fall) and I haven't seen one hummingbird yet. So it got me all philosophical and I had thoughts that maybe my Gram was more "moved on" and wasn't going to be sending me signs like that anymore. And I literally just got done thinking that and a hummingbird flew up and hovered in front of me - didn't even go to my flowers - and then flew up past the trees. I have goose bumps just writing this. I think that's pretty cool. And it inspired this post about a scrapbook I made for my Gram because she is really on my mind today.

My Gram was about as sweet and wonderful as they come. She was a mother of 9 children and a grandmother and great grandmother. She also was a gardener, seamstress, great cook, volunteer, avid church goer and all around terrific role model. When she was in her 80's I made this scrapbook for her about all of the different roles in her life. I'll share part of it here and part of it in another post in the future.



I started with daughter. She was 1 of 8 children. She was 3rd from the youngest.


This is the layout I did for "daughter". I love doing  a heritage or vintage album because it's so fun looking through all of the old photos. The clothing and hair styles are especially fun to look back upon.


Isn't she adorable? 


Next I used all the wonderful photos of her as a young Lady and when she went off to take her first job.



The other thing I love about heritage scrapbooking is finding all kinds of fun vintage looking papers. I love this floral one that looks like old wallpaper.


I think this one of her being shy on the dock is so sweet.


Such a pretty young Lady. And wouldn't she be right in style today with those braids!




Then I did kind of her dating years. I shared the story of how her and my Grandpa met and when she became "Steve's Girl".



I just love the colors I used in this layout and the neat "love of my life" kind of embellishments.


And I especially love all the sweet different photos of them together. What a great looking couple!




And then of course she became Anne the Bride. 


This is probably one of my favorite layouts in the album. I just love these photos!! Love the bible and church stickers too.


I just love this photo of her with her in-law's. This is my Grandpa's parents and if you can believe it he was 1 of 17 kids!!! Good Polish Catholic stock. Lol


And I'll end this post with this beautiful bride photo of my Gram. There are some other lovely things I want to share about heritage scrapbooking and more layouts from this album that I will do in a future post. This album and how much it touched my Gram,  and all of my family, when I showed it to them is another reason I love scrapbooking so much. 











23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Carrie, there are so many reasons this post hit home for me. For starters, the story about the hummingbird is amazing, and I can see why you had goosebumps writing about it. Heck, I have goosebumps too!

    The album you put together is exactly what I was thinking about doing just today. Remember that armoire full of photos I have? Well, it's truly overwhelming, but I was thinking what I'm going to do is go through them and take pictures of the pictures and make a shutterfly album. Do what you did, only not as crafty ;).

    Your ancestors certainly knew how to make babies! lol What a huge family you have come from! My grandmother was very special to me too. She died in 1987 so it's been a while, but I think about her often. Did you ever see the story of my ancestors on my blog? It's in the sidebar and I'm thinking you might like it, although that's my paternal grandparents. The one I was close to was my maternal grandmother. There's also a post about my grandmother called 'A Life Not Forgotten' which I think you'll enjoy too. Comments are turned off (I do that for posts older than 90 days. Cuts down on spam A LOT).

    I hear ya' about Summer slipping away. Why does that have to happen every year??? Ugh!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - love all of this Doreen!! I'm so happy that you're going to take those treasured photos and make some albums!! What fun and you'll be so happy to have that collection of memories all together.

      I so need to read up on those areas of your blog!! When my life slows down I'm going to curl up an dig in. Family is such a blessing. ;)

      So are wonderful blogging friends. xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful scrapbook about your Gram! I'm sure she loved it, and what a fabulous way to keep those treasured photographs together. I loved your story about the hummingbird; we believe very strongly in our family that our loved ones are never very far away and will send us signs at times when we need them. A hummingbird is a particularly lovely one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I believe that too and I have no doubt that was a direct hello from my sweet Gram. ;) Thanks for the validation...so happy others feel that way too. xo

      Delete
  3. You did a beautiful job on the scrapbook! Love all the old photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book is a real treasure! Your Grandma was beautiful and I love that you have so many photos of her. I've been working on a family history book for a while, but it's hard to get information! I love your hummingbird story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more to share that's a pretty cool thing to do with a heritage album - I'll be sharing in the future! Thanks so much for your sweet comments my Mari Girl! I think my Gram was pretty beautiful too (and just as much on the inside).
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful post this is! Of course your grandmother sent the hummingbird to visit you! I truly believe in signs like that. Your scrapbook is lovely and such a great tribute to her life and your love for her. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! I believe it was her too and boy did it make my day! I cried right after I was so moved by it. Thanks for sweet comments. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Love your Grammie sending you a Hello today!!!!
    Getting goosebumps reading this today.
    Flynn and I always say Hello to my dear Daddy when the wind rustles the trees by her swing set.
    Your scrapbook is amazing!!!!
    Love the photos and all the love that went into it!!!!!
    Have a cozy day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! That's right - I remember you said that about your Dad. Feels so good to be validated with these signs. It was just what I needed that morning too. Blessings not to be overlooked. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Love this post. My sisters and I will be working on ours albums soon. Wouldn't our grandmothers and great-grandmothers be surprised to see what we can do with pictures now??
    PS Finished my kitchen yesterday! Hallway today…then stage kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what fun it will be to work with your sisters on such a treasure!!
      Yes our ancestors sure would be surprised by our modern technology! Lol
      Yay for progress!! Sounds like things are moving along beautifully! Best of luck to get it all finished soon. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful and lovely lady your Gram was. Your scrapbook is a great tribute to her. I believe in those signs and things too, so I am sure that your Gram was with you as you watered the flowers. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! I think she was too. ;) xo

      Delete
  9. Carrie, this is so sweet! I inherited my love of thrifting from my sweet grandmother, who has also passed away. Also, I named my oldest daughter after her <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I just LOVE that we have that in common Cecilia. Having a wonderful loving heritage is such a beautiful thing. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I just love this post, made me think of my Gram, she liked Cardinals, St. Francis of Assisi, and the color purple. What a wonderful keepsake you have with the scrapbook, just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally commented instead of replying so you can read my reply below Hon! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Love this Carrie Ann! My Gram also loved St. Francis and that "make me a channel of your peace" prayer/hymn was one of her favorites.
    Thanks for sharing with my dear Gal. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hummingbird surely must be a sign! What a lovely album you have to remember your dear Gram by. I see a family resemblance between you and her too, particularly in the photo of her with the braids.
    Take care lovely lady, after tomorrow I'm not around for a few weeks but I will catch up with you on my return xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! So sweet of you to say that. I think I definitely have features that resemble her and several of my aunties too!

      I hope you have a lovely break my Dear!! I'll look forward to catching up when you get back. Blessings. xoxo

      Delete