Friday, November 6, 2015

Five on Friday: Projects

In my northwoods we're coming to the season of cold, frost, snow etc. And even though they're predicting a warmer winter overall for us this year, I know there will still be plenty of icy and below zero temps kinds of days. So I often think of this as hibernation season. The time of year when you want to be curled up indoors working on crafts or other fun projects while the wind howls outside.  

So today I thought I'd share some of the hibernation projects I plan to be working on through the holidays and beyond. When the snow is swirling I'll be getting my creative juices flowing!


ONE


Of course right out of the gate would be decorating for the upcoming holidays. For me that means Thanksgiving (which is mere weeks away) and Christmas.  I've put away most of my Halloween type decorations and have started to put up my Thanksgiving goodies - like this new turkey artwork pictured above. I've also been accumulating ideas -like this Christmas yarn pom pom garland in the photo below. I think Annie and I will have such a fun time working on something like that together!





TWO







I'm finally going to complete this family recipe scrapbook album I've been working on, with a bunch of our special family favorite tried and true recipes. I plan to give it to my daughter in the future when she's off and on her own. She's been showing an interest in cooking and baking more and more as she ages. I figure it will be a nice way for her to always have and keep the flavors this home one day when she's in her own home.  I've put the pages I've been completing into the album and covering them with page protectors. Pretty important to have those on cookbook pages, don't you think?  Especially if you're a new cook! Lol




THREE




I plan to finish getting all caught up in my kiddos' school years albums. I have a lot of catching up to do in my own family scrapbooks (I often feel I'll never get those done! Lol), but both of my kiddo's albums aren't too bad and I should be able to get them done. I love the poem my son wrote about hockey (a sport he loves playing so much) for an English class.




FOUR



Along with scrapbooking is my love of paper crafting in general. I plan to make more tags, cards and other paper craft goodies. Maybe even more scrapbook jewelry I haven't done in a while. 




FIVE






I also plan to get more needlework time in during this long winter. My daughter and I have taken turns working on the "Girls Rule" sign for her room and that will get finished first! But I've accumulated some other cross stitch and embroidery I plan to give a go to over this season ahead. I have very limited embroidery experience, but I'm most excited about taking on that new challenge! 


 In this long winter season ahead do you have some fun projects lined up for yourself?  I'm linking up with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.



 



23 comments:

  1. You have some great projects coming up for the long winter! I look forward to seeing more of your needlework projects especially! How great that you are nearly finished with your daughters recipe book, that will be a real family treasure. Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'm loving the things I'm working on - just wish there were more time in the day! Lol But don't we all?
      xo

      Delete
  2. So many awesome projects here! Love your recipe books, I started them for my girls... that's about as far as I got, lol. I am so coming to visit at your house and spend the day crafting! That would be so awesome! Looks like you are all ready for the cold weather. Have a great night!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Jill - wouldn't that be dreamy fun!?! We could visit over goodies and craft the day away. I'll pretend if you will and meet you in Blogland. ;) You''ll get those Girls' cookbooks done, I have no doubt.
      Blessings xo

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely idea to make and pass on the scrapbook of recipes. Have a good weekend.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! A labor of love and I'm truly loving it! xo

      Delete
  4. You definitely have no shortage of things to keep you busy Carrie, and they're all worthwhile projects!

    Have a great weekend my friend, and stay warm.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hon! Now could you please tell me how to find more hours in a day??? Is it bad that I just want to take a whole week for crafting and shut everyone out? Sigh. Not gonna happen. Lol
      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  5. I often think I should write a recipe scrapbook too, or should I say construct ha! I think that's how my blog sort of started as assistance for my daughter as she started uni. This is a lovely post and you seem to have great plans. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where a lot of inspiration seems to come for us Mom's, doesn't it? ;)
      Blessings to you Lisa! xo

      Delete
  6. You definitely have no shortage of things to keep you busy Carrie, and they're all worthwhile projects!

    Have a great weekend my friend, and stay warm.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing all of your projects and the scrapbook of recipes is such a great idea! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelia! Hope you're having a great week! xo

      Delete
  8. The salad idea looked great yesterday! I really like the counted cross-stitch things. I love snow birds, and Girls do Rule. Tell Annie I said, Boys Drool. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot!! LOVE the comments and I will pass it on to Annie! :) Haha!!
      Blessings my Dear. xo

      Delete
  9. Some great projects for the short white days. Your son's poem is so bold! He must be a fearsome competitor on the ice. I like that you have handwritten the recipes for your daughter ... one thing I treasure from my mom are her handwritten recipe cards ;) the typed out cards just aren't the same. I love working on embroidery too, although I don't do nearly enough. It's a great way to enjoy a chilly winter day. There's lots of embroidery stitches on Pinterest I noticed ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks so much for the sweet comments dear Wendy! Aaron loves hockey so much and he's a tough defender. ;)

      I agree with the handwriting thing. Even though I hate my handwriting - I thought that was an important component for wanting to do this album for Annie. And I LOVE pinterest too for those great craft ideas!

      Blessings. xo

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you are keeping busy! Love the turkey art piece. The family cookbook looks like a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bethany! Having fun and lots to keep me busy in the days ahead.
      Blessings to you Sweetie! xo

      Delete
  11. Cold weather brings more time for crafting! Cosy up with a cup of tea and some cross-stitching - doesn't that sound amazing!? I've begun my Christmas crafting already because Thanksgiving and Halloween are over here in Canada. So may things to make and do , so little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Bronwyn! Tea and cozy crafting is absolutely my bit of heaven. ;)

      Keep up the great work Lady! Blessings xo

      Delete
  12. The cookbook is such a nice thing to do for your daughter - I know she will always treasure it! Your son is a good writer- I like his poem :) Very pretty needlework designs - the chickadee's are so cute. I just went to the craft store today for supplies to keep me busy for a while. I just need to focus......the transition to the long nights just makes me so lazy! *grin* But you inspire me, girl! Hope you have a blessed week ahead! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I know what you mean. The light goes out so fast these days and I lose my motivation too. Lol Guess I need to make my craft lighting brighter - maybe that would help? ;)

      Hope you find your inspiration too and we both find wonderful cozy time to get our crafting going strong! Blessings my Friend. xo

      Delete