Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Halloween Wrap Up & Recipes

Good Morning!! 


As I mentioned yesterday, we had a great Halloween weekend and really had fun getting into the food and decorations for the party we hosted this year!  


Outside it was drizzly and gray, but it didn't get too cold which helped. We put out several fun decorations added to what I shared last week - including several skeletons, a big skeleton ghost and giant spider and web! Here's some photos of outdoors and the trick or treaters ready to head out:


This flying skeleton ghost was really big - and creepy! It was positioned right above where trick or treaters would walk to our front door.


if you look closely you'll see another ghostie hanging there and my pumpkin on our stone address sign



a rainy view through the looking glass (our side door window)



a creepy spider made a web right over our kitchen window!



some of the crazy crew ready to head out for treats (that's my wild BIL in the big foot costume - Lol)



heading into the night seeking out treats and hopefully few tricks (I sent many grown-ups with to-go cups of hot cider or other warming drinks of choice - wink wink) I stayed behind to man the candy hand-out at our place


Inside though, I kept things nice and warm and cozy. Cider was simmering away with some cinnamon sticks and cloves. The grown ups got mugs filled with a little butterscotch schnapps, hot cider, whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkle. Makes a great hot caramel apple cider!  For the kiddos the night before Annie and I made up an army of mummy drink boxes using adhesive bandages and cutting out eyes from my scrapbook cardstock:





Just take off the straws before you wrap them up and put them to the side. Then keep the spot with the hole for the straw on top open.  The kiddos loved them!




For those grown ups that wanted a cold adult beverage I made up a pitcher of caramel apple sangria. I took a bottle of chardonnay (or take any lighter white wine), added a cup of vanilla vodka (add caramel vodka if you can find it) - I couldn't find caramel vodka so I added the vanilla, but then I also added a bit of the butterscotch schnapps. Then add 6 cups of apple cider and I added a bunch of chopped honeycrisp apples. I let it chill all day before the party. To serve I rimmed cups with cinnamon/sugar mixture using more cider to make it stick and garnish with a cinnamon stick.


I forgot to a get a photo of the dip - but I made up 2 trays of chopped honey crisp apples and topped them with gummy worms. A great trick I mentioned in another post is to toss your apples in some pineapple juice after you cut them in slices. It doesn't affect the taste and they will not turn brown! For toffee caramel dip - take an 8 oz. cream cheese and 8 oz. of cool whip and beat together. Then mix in a little but of butterscotch caramel ice cream topping (about a Tbsp or 2). Then spread into a dish and take a knife or spoon and drizzle more of the butterscotch caramel over the top in a crazy pattern. Top with a sprinkling of toffee chips and chill until ready for your party!



I made up a meat and cheese tray to go with crackers and topped it with plastic spiders and some cheese "leaves" I cut out with my cookie cutters.



I also made up a veggie tray infested with spiders to go with dill and ranch dip.




Then Annie and I made some gross severed finger cupcakes (my girlie went ghoulish all the way this year!). I doctored up boxed mix cupcakes by using 1 box golden vanilla cake mix, 1 box of vanilla instant pudding mix, 1 cup of oil, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of sour cream, 4 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix all together to make a thick batter and fill cups 2/3 full. They are so moist!! Then I made homemade chocolate buttercream by beating 6 tbsp of butter. Then add 2 & 2/3 cup of powdered sugar and 1/2 cup of baking cocoa alternating with 4-6 tbsp of milk beating until it's the right consistency - then stir in 1 tsp of vanilla. It's SO yummy! Then Annie topped her cupcakes with candy severed fingers and cleavers and red gel for "blood". So gross looking - but so tasty!! 


Earlier in the day we also went to visit some of the grandparents - including my Father & Mother -in-law. They have that awesome old historical home made from cement bricks that is a perfect Halloween house, as it's kind of gothic looking anyway! They always deck out their porch with lots of fun creepy things.




A fun Halloween was had by all - and everyone survived with few tricks and lots of treats! Hope this gives you some fun ideas for your own celebration next year! 


I'm linking with Brenda from Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday.










18 comments:

  1. LOoks like a fun time for all....love your area.... it is so wonderful especially in autumn.... puts in tyhe mind for a cup of warm cider.... have a great week! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I might be biased, but I don't think there's anywhere in the world prettier than my northwoods in the Fall. Lol ;) Cider does fit the season perfectly! Blessings to you. xo

      Delete
  2. How Wisconsin is that cheese and meat platter?!! Great idea to make the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I somehow knew you'd appreciate that very WI platter Margot. ;)

      Thanks for popping by Sweetie. Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  3. Looks like such a fun night - love those creepy costumes and the decorations are wonderful! (I scrolled down to check out all the posts I missed :) Aren't you so creative with your treats, too! The Mummy juice boxes are so cute! Lots of great ideas for party food - Thanks for sharing these ! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen my Girl! I'm actually not even that big of a Halloween fan (just mainly Fall), but Annie is at that age where it's so fun. ;)

      Some ideas you can tuck away for when Ethan is older, right? Lol
      Blessings to you. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh MY!!!!
    I'm inviting myself next year!!!
    I love it all...but am enthralled with that meat and cheese tray. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider yourself invited Lady!! Lol I'll keep the cider warming. ;)

      Blessings to you. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Ok, now I'm hungry, lol. The spiders in the food are too cute, love all the decorations too! Sangria looks delicious! Mummy drinks are always fun, we like to do this too and I would make them for my kids when I taught :-) Looks like a fantastic Halloween with lots of great memories!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I definitely got equal inspiration from your goodies too! So fun when the kiddos are at the age to have such fun with it all. ;)

      Blessings to you. xoxo

      Delete
  6. You did good! Everything looks so cute, and I love the treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mari! We sure had fun! ;) xoxo

      Delete
  7. What a great Halloween house you created!! Love that flying ghost ... sometimes just a little bit scary makes it more fun. You've included some great recipes! My biggest problem this year was trying to identify the characters that came to my door. Seeing a bit "A" on one furry kid's costume and I was stumbling over Chewbacca?! or Avengers?! My husband told me later "A for Alvin the chipmunk!!!" ... oops! I'm out of touch it seems. Next year my geek son can dish out candies ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! ;)

      Your description of your night and trying to identify costumes just cracked me up!!! Lol Yes, next year maybe you should just relax and let your kiddo take over candy duty. ;)

      We had so much fun and look forward to more fun next year while Annie is so into it all. xoxo

      Delete
  8. I hate spiders, but that spider web is really cool!!

    Love the Big Foot costume…but the picture is too clear, all pictures of Big Foot are blurry, lol.

    That caramel apple sangria sounds sooo good!! Yes, the severed finger cupcakes gave me the creeps, but not so much that I wouldn’t have just taken them off and enjoyed the chocolately goodness!! I’ll have to try this recipe for cupcakes.

    Just LOVE your in-laws house!! I do like the pig costume, lol, and the zombie prom queen is kinda cool. Great pictures. I could almost feel the damp rainy-ness from the outside and the warm coziness on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carrie Ann my Girlie!! Your comments always make me smile and often crack me up (LOVE the bigfoot comment!!) ;)

      Truly delish cupcake recipe and I could have eaten whole bowl of buttercream by myself (did I just admit that out loud? ) Lol

      My in-law's house is soooo cool!! I think I'll try to get more photos of it (like inside) during the holidays when it's decorated.

      Blessings to you Hon. xoxo

      Delete
  9. You and your family really did Halloween proud this year Carrie! The gross fingers are...well, gross!! lol

    Thanks for sharing your fun weekend with us. So glad you enjoyed yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Doreen!! Glad you appreciate the gross. Lol! ;)
      Blessings my Dear xoxo

      Delete