Friday, November 20, 2015

Five on Friday:Random Bits

Happy Friday Folks!  


As we head into the weekend, I hope all is cozy in your neck of the woods.The Thanksgiving holiday is coming up so soon...so I've begun preparing my grocery lists and finding my recipes. I thought I'd share a bit about that and some other random bits for my 5 things this week.


ONE

Thanksgiving is less than a week away so I've been thinking all of those thoughts. We'll spend the holiday at my brother-in-law's family's house. They host Thanksgiving and we host Christmas. My sister-in-law handles  the turkey and potatoes. I prepare many of the other sides and some of the desserts. Some other family members bring some things too. I make a traditional homemade stuffing. I toast and season my own bread cubes - so yummy! I use egg as well as stock to coat the bread for richer texture. I also make a broccoli salad that has a creamy sweet dressing and add bacon, red onion and raisins. We do that instead of traditional green bean casserole. We also bring the calico beans that are made in the slow cooker with 4 varieties of beans, ground hamburger, bacon, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and seasonings. (an old family traditional recipe of my hubby's family).


 I'll bring a kid friendly dessert (not sure what yet) - like rice krispies treats. And then I make pioneer woman's pecan pie and homemade crust. You can find the links for both here and here.

REE_0798_3461 

This pie is perfection and I highly recommended!! So good! 

I've also been looking at cranberry sauce recipes like this one I pinned on my pinterest page - instead of (or in addition to) canned sauce.

Cranberry Sauce






TWO

Kind of random, but I wanted to show this new addiction of mine. We recently picked this up at Trader Joe's and it's so good!! It's sort of like the consistency of peanut butter, but a little thicker and tastes kind of like a cross between gingerbread and if graham crackers were made into a butter. It is fabulous spread on toast or a graham cracker, or for dipping apples or other fruit. Or eating straight of the jar! So different but amazingly yummy!!





THREE


We've been having our first snowflakes swirling in the air, but nothing really accumulating. The other night we were picking up my son from hockey and Ruby came with us. We drove by a local attraction that gets put together and lit for the holidays each year. They'll open it for the season, for folks to tour, beginning this weekend. It's so beautiful and "Christmasy". Kiddos can go talk to Santa and they have free cookies and coffee and cocoa. They also have fire pits and marshmallows for toasting. Then when my hubby ran in, Ruby decided to jump into the front seat and it looked like she was ready to take over driving duty! Lol




FOUR





It's been windy and cold lately, but not a lot of snow. We've had some small flurries as you can see on my patio table and deck. But the cold makes me want to cook and bake even more. I made homemade pizza the other night, including the crust, and it was so yummy and comforting and "hit the spot". I will share the recipe in the future. 




FIVE



We're ready for our new carpet - yay!! The other night we started taking out all of the furniture for the rooms they're doing first. Of course then all that furniture needs to go somewhere!  So things are strategically stacked and put into empty areas. I can't wait until it's all done! It's truly needed, and I am excited to see the end result! Will share photos after they're all done next week.  


I'm linking with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.













27 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving, all the food sounds scrumptious. Hope all goes well with the new carpet fitting, exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and blessings to you too Hon!! Hope your'e having a wonderful weekend. ;) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Just love this time of year!
    Love reading about your preparations too,
    And new carpet? Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bilie Jo! It'll be nice to have it all in for the holidays. ;) Getting ready for gobble gobble time. Lol Hope you are too!
      Hope you're having a great weekend and have a wonderful week ahead! xo

      Delete
  3. Your pizzas sound yummy! Much nicer than bought. Have a good Thanksgiving. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Homemade is always better, isn't it? ;) I think it's the love that's put in too.
      Blessings to you Barbara! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Enjoy Thanksgiving and I hope you don't get too much snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hon! You and me both!! Hope you're having a lovely and very blessed weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  5. It sounds as though your Thanksgiving is going to be wonderful and as though you will definitely have some delicious things to eat!! I hope that you enjoy it a great deal. I hope that the carpet fitting goes well too! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!! Looking forward to "turkey time" soon. Lol! Thanks for always being such a wonderful hostess. Such a fun link up. Blessings on the rest of your weekend and on the week ahead. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Lots of yummy cooking and fun coming up for you this week! Some good things for your Thanksgiving and the holiday lights look so fun. That is one of the best things I love about the holidays - the Christmas lights! Ruby is just too cute and that 'peanut butter' sounds good. So nice to get new carpeting. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, bets lots of yummy cooking and baking coming your way too! Time to gobble gobble! Lol

      I love the holiday lights too Karen - one of my fave things. The carpet that's in so far is heavenly. So soft and and such a needed improvement!

      blessings on the week ahead and your Thanksgiving as well! xoxo

      Delete
  7. I've tried that TJ's butter and it's excellent! Your thanksgiving menu sounds great, and wow, you're really chipping in with the menu Carrie!

    I have to say I just love Ruby! What a sweetheart she is, and I just want to kiss her snout a million and one times :).

    Getting new carpet is always a good thing. It will feel so clean and new and fresh, I'm sure you're going to love it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that butter yummy Doreen!?! Naughty good! Lol

      Yep, my MIL used to host and do a lot of it and now she can't. So my SIL and I pretty much handle the majority of it.

      If you were here Ruby would kiss you right back and just snuggle up with you as long as you'd want. She's such a lover! ;)

      I'm LOVING the new carpet we have in so far and can't wait for them to finish!!
      blessings dear Friend. xoxo

      Delete
  8. One of the reasons I love Blogland is the window onto the traditions of other countries, it's lovely to read about what you do for Thanksgiving, thank you for sharing your recipes. We had a flurry of snow here in the heart of England last night, it's early, but it was gone by this morning. I hope the carpet-fitting goes smoothly and without too much stress - I'm looking forward to seeing the result. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Gal! It truly is a wonderful holiday here - filled with great food and lots of family time!

      I"m surprised we don't have snow yet. We've had some flurries in the air but nothing that's "stuck" yet. Unusual for here - but I'm sure it'll be coming soon.

      Carpet going great so far and can't wait until it's all in! I will be sharing photos. ;)
      Blessings on the rest of your weekend and on the week ahead. xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Great randoms, Carrie! Your Thanksgiving celebrations sound well under way, what a feast by the looks of things :-)
    Pizza looks yum! We're having pizza tonight, not homemade this time, yeah, lazy mum tea!!!
    We've had a proper dusting of snow here and the roads are now iced up. I checked up on the weather and it seems pretty chilly where you are too, stay cosy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my sweet Alison!

      I'm fasting now to save room for "turkey day" Lol! And I do the fast pizza often too. Sometimes it's what the schedule needs. ;)

      It has been quite chilly here and big drop in temps. Still no real snow yet, although sounds like a chance for a white Thanksgiving. Hope you're staying cozy too and having a wonderful weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  10. You have some delicious recipes for your thanksgiving feast!
    Have a wonderful day!
    We had some snow but thankfully its gone for now though still very cold!
    Stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine!
      Yep, getting quite chilly now. No real snow yet, but may be soon! Hope you're staying nice and cozy too!
      Blessings on the week ahead. xoxo

      Delete
  11. Lots of great things in your Five! Love the Thanksgiving/Christmas preparations. That Welcome pumpkin is so pretty! How nice you are about to get new carpet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie!! Loving the new carpet. It's downright "dreamy" soft. ;)
      Blessings xoox

      Delete
  12. Love that pic of Ruby!! I just want to hug her!! That home made pizza looks really yummy. New carpeting…now that’s a big job, but so worth it. I think any change/update to our homes is so much fun, my mom, my kids and I just love watching HGTV and all the design shows, I was excited just to have a new front door put in, and new curtains for the front windows. Change is sometimes good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carrie - Ruby would love to hug you right back. I mean it - she gives hugs. It's pretty awesome. ;) And I will share my homemade pizza in the future!

      We are LOVING the new carpet! It's so pretty and so soft - and was so needed! Yes, well worth the work.

      I live for HGTV and secretly would love to be a "stager" for home selling. I think that would be so cool. Lol I'm a dork.

      Change is fabulous sometimes!! Blessings Sweetie.

      Delete
  13. Ok, I got totally stuck on that pecan pie with homemade crust. I always use half butter, half Crisco for the crust. Ahhhhhhhh, pie!! Have a wonderful feast. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya! The only way to have crust, right Judy? Part shortening and part butter all the way!! It truly is the best. I think I just gained a pound just thinking about it though. Lol Oh well, that's what feasting is about...and why we don't do it often! xoxo

      Delete
  14. Your planned Thanksgiving dinner sounds good! My sister makes great homemade stuffing as well. Many store-bought stuffings have MSG, and one of my relatives is terribly allergic to it--so that's no a no-go. My sister also makes homemade pizza that looks just like yours. Oh, it is so good! I have an aunt who brings rice crispies to our family reunion; she's working her way to the top of my list of favorite aunts. Rice crispies are always winners!

    Awesome that you are looking into trying homemade cranberry sauce. A friend talked me into making it last winter (I hate having to cook anything complicated when it could be done easily). She said it would be life-changing, so I gave in and made it. That was one of the best culinary decisions I've ever made. It is *so* simple, and tastes *so* much better than the canned cranberries. You won't regret making it.

    ReplyDelete