Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A peek at my Kitchen Clean-up

Happy Tuesday - hope it's bringing you lots of sunshine! We had rain yesterday, but today the sun is out like a beautiful friend shining on my day. Going to go spend some more time outdoors but first I thought I'd give you a quick peek from when we did some cleaning and rearranging in the kitchen a few weekends ago.


It was one of those weekends where we were getting some jobs done around the old northwoods homestead and I just got it in my head I wanted to go through and clean up the kitchen.  I hadn't "thoroughly" been through the cabinets in a LONG time. And what actually motivated things was I have a little tiered tray shelf where I keep our bread on the counter, but it's so close to the big window and the light was making our bread go bad earlier than it should. So I decided I wanted to change things on the counters. And my hubby...who is more of a minimalist and would get rid of everything if he could (poor guy married to me - Lol)....was all for going through everything and purging and organizing. 



This corner was where we had the bread before. Now it's a cozy corner for our blue tooth music player, my zebra plant (probably likes rocking out to the music there) and this warmer. I was so excited when I was cleaning out cabinets as that's when I found this warmer I forgot I had and could put it out for the Independence Day season. 




I thought it would also be a perfect opportunity to put my mixer out now that it's been transformed.  Before it just hid in my island. I love it being out as it's actually pretty to look at since the change, plus much more convenient for when I want to use it! I didn't get into the details of the inside of the cabinets, as it's far less interesting. We ended up throwing out a lot of old things (old warranty papers to appliances, kiddos' old school things etc). Found some new treasures. And then did a little better organizing of things like the tupperware and leftover containers and bakeware cabinets and silverware and kitchen tool drawers. 



View out my kitchen window.


There is the bread tiered stand I was talking about. This is the far corner of the kitchen on the other side of the cook top and what used to sit here was a file holder with kiddos' school things etc and a caddy that held a jar for pens, and a tray for odds and ends. Well we decided to relocate the files and put the other odds and ends in a drawer so we didn't have to look at it anymore. Much better!


Here's where the pens, notepads, church envelopes, sunglasses & odds & ends went. In a drawer out of sight!





A kind of "before" photo of my kitchen at Christmastime (notice the snow outside, Christmas tree in the window and snowman on the cook top). You can see I had my bread up in that left corner next to the window and the canisters filled the other corner where now my mixer sits. Plus, our old kitchen faucet that was leaky and needed changing. That also got a makeover!


And a current photo of my kitchen with the new faucet and all cleaned up and more organized. 





13 comments:

  1. It looks so nice! It's good to be able to show off your decorated mixer, plus it's so much easier to get to. Your wax burner is so cute! I really like your pot rack too.
    Doesn't it make you feel good to do something like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! It does feel wonderful and well worth the hour or 2 of effort to have a lasting "feel good" effect. :)
      And I LOVE having my mixer handy!! I don't know why when it was plain white I didn't want it out but slap some poppies on it and I want to look at it. Lol
      Blessings to you my Dear. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen is beautiful! It looks like a photo from the HGTV magazine! I know how good it feels to get cupboards cleaned out. It's about time for that to happen here, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness - you're beyond sweet Terri! Thank you! HGTV is one of my favorite channels and magazines so that is high praise to me indeed! ;) I can't take the credit for the real bones of this kitchen as the wonderful folks that owned our home before us fully designed and renovated it to this - and I thought it was amazing from the first time I walked in there! I feel incredibly blessed to live in this beautiful home on this lovely bay. I often tell my hubby that if I could hug it all I would. But I give thanks to God each day in my prayers instead and I think that's about the same thing. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Ooh! Your kitchen is so bright and pretty! I love your mixer! How cute. I am SO much more motivated to use mine if it's out - those things are so darn heavy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! You took the words right out of my mouth Laura!! Hauling that thing up from under the island was such a pain - if not a good bicep workout though. ;)

      thanks for the sweet comments dear Gal. xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful kitchen you have! I got a new faucet last year and I really like the new styles. It is easier to get a pot under it to fill.
    Trying very hard to get done here and so I can leave this place that is too hot for my Wisconsin blood. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot!! I agree - this faucet is much more user friendly. Blessings for your safe journey soon! Come back to our nice temperate northern homeland. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Those mixers are sooo heavy, I like the decals you put on them. I liked the Mom’s Diner design you posted, that’s what it feels like for me all the time. The mixers are wonderful to use too, and I think best if they are out since they are not easy to move.

    I like that bread holder!! Such a beautiful kitchen!! I know I spend so much time in the kitchen, it makes a difference when it’s clean and organized. I like that rounded corner island, I’ve never seen one like that before, very nice!!

    My mom and I will be doing some major cleaning everywhere once our bathroom remodel is done. At the mercy of the contractors, UGH!! Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Doll! Thanks so much. ;)
      I agree those mixers are heavy buggers and I LOVE having it out on the counter so much better. And it's a bonus that now I like to look at it too.

      I give all the credit to the folks that owned this home before us. They had that kitchen fully renovated to what it is today....and other then outside on the deck/hill....it's my favorite place of our home. I love cooking in there. I feel so blessed and thank God in my prayers for being able to live somewhere I love so much.

      Oh I feel your pain about contractors!! We had them here ALL last summer - basically 2 &1/2 months straight for our big bathroom and garage/hallway/house renovation. It was NOT fun!! Hang in there kiddo. The results will be worth the patience (& pain- Lol). xoxo

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your kitchen, Carrie! Every inch of it! I wish I could come over and hang out for a cuppa! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your kitchen, Carrie! Every inch of it! I wish I could come over and hang out for a cuppa! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Karen! Oh what fun that would be. The kitchen is always open. ;)
      xo

      Delete