Thursday, June 18, 2015

Versatile Bars as Blueberry or Cranberry

Well, recently I was working on more cards for Annie's cookbook and I knew I had to include my MIL's recipe for cranberry bars - that she also often made as blueberry bars. I think it's wonderful to make the blueberry kind for summer and cranberry kind for more of the fall/winter holiday season. Imagine for the July 4th holiday making these "blue"berry bars with their white cream cheese frosting and then topping with some cut up red strawberries and more blueberries. A beautifully patriotic dessert that is DELICIOUS!



I was forgetful when I made these and didn't get photos of it being mixed up in my mixer. But it's quite easy as you just blend the wet ingredients first and then blend in the dry ingredients. It does make a thick batter and I wet my hands a little and press it into the pan with my fingers.


Top with some cream cheese frosting and you have one delicious bar! I wrote the recipe as a cranberry bar as that is the original recipe from my MIL along with her cream cheese frosting. So where it says 2 c. of  cranberries just use blueberries instead. For either fruit you can use fresh or frozen, both work beautifully. However, with the blueberries I reduce the sugar to only about 1 cup instead of the 1&1/2 cups with cranberry bars...obviously as blueberries are much sweeter already. When I make for my family I exclude the nuts (they don't like them), however, bringing it for a potluck I include them (I like chopped pecans) as it adds wonderful texture. When I make cranberry bars I even add some chopped pecans to decorate the top of the bars. So good!  Here's the recipes:





Enjoy!





12 comments:

  1. These look and sound delicious and I love your idea for making them patriotic. I also like your idea of adding chopped pecans. Thanks for another great recipe idea! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! They're really yummy and I think you'd like them lots! ;)
      Hope you're having a lovely weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I want some right now, please. Please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I promise to save you some next time Terri!! ;) xo

      Delete
  3. These sound delicious!! I love this recipe scrapbook project! Do you remember that in your giveway that you sent me you included some great pens? Well you have inspired me and I have been using the pens to add little doodles and lines and things to my recipe notebook to decorate it a bit and adding some washi tape as well. I am not a scrapbooker, but you inspired me to do some recipe book decorating. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amy what a lovely idea!! I'm so happy to have inspired you with that - how fun!! Color and doodles rock my world. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh! These look *so* good! I'm saving this recipe to try one of these days...and if you don't mind and it's as delicious as it looks I might even include it in my print newsletter for family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw- how sweet Bethany! I'd be honored to have you share. They are really yummy!! If you try hope you enjoy them. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. These look so good! I will be leaving the nuts out - we're not nut fans over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think they add a lot - especially texture-wise. But you'd fit right in with my crew Mari....and they're still just as yummy. ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Ooh they look good! Handy that you can use frozen fruit as well as fresh too. Thanks for sharing, Carrie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a winner Alison! If you try it hope you like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete