Thursday, June 11, 2015

Slow Cooker Wild Rice Pudding

Here is the rather unique recipe I mentioned in Monday's post. It's for this wild rice pudding that I had recently and it was excellent!! First of all, I'll share the recipe then we'll discuss how it came about.


WILD RICE PUDDING

3 cups of wild rice (washed in cold water)
6 cups of water
Cook in slow cooker for 3 hours.

Then add: 
1 cup of sliced almonds
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup of dried cranberries
2 cups of milk, cream, or both
1/2 cup of maple syrup
Heat to boil then simmer for 3-5 minutes.  Top with blueberries

Addendum: I did hear from the other school Mom. The amounts are correct for a doubled recipe.  I think Annie added the 6 hours of cooking to double everything, so I'm guessing it only needs to cook 3-4 hours. According to the Mom's directions you cook the rice and water in the slow cooker first on low. Then add the other ingredients and bring to boil then simmer. I think a halved recipe would be just right for a family or small group.

Now I'm double checking the accuracy of this recipe as this is what my daughter had copied down for me from her teacher, but not sure if some things got "lost in translation". However, I'm waiting to hear back from a Mom that actually got the printed recipe from Annie's teacher.  If there are changes or adjustments to this I'll let you know ASAP. My daughter also told me this is a doubled recipe. I will say that I was skeptical about this pudding when I heard what it was but it was DELICIOUS!! Annie's teacher had also topped it with fresh blueberries when it was done.


Here's the story behind the recipe. The last week of school I was at Annie's class for a presentation they did regarding a book they had all completed. I'll preface this by saying Annie has had this same teacher (Ms. Shane) for 2 years. When Annie was in 2nd grade Ms. Shane taught a split level class of 2nd and 3rd graders. This past year she just taught 3rd grade and Annie was fortunate to have her both years (2nd & 3rd). She is a wonderful teacher that focuses so much on community and nature/sciences...and what I really loved is her focus on science and math which is a wonderful thing to nurture in young girls!! She lives out in the country and even keeps her own bees! Her classroom also has a pond and they had a turtle and fish they cared for daily.  Annie now is obsessed with science and nature and was 2nd in her class in mathematics this year. 


Anyway, last year they also made a book based on different professions in the community and Annie interviewed my girlfriend - who is a nurse. It was a lovely bound book. Here was this year's book:


There's my Girl holding the sign

The different topics covered this year included: invasive species, responsible community members, pollution and restoration (one topic here was wild rice). 

Ms. Shane is the teacher looking person among all those kiddos


Annie chose "responsible community members" and did hers on responsible pet owners. It was pretty cute as she had to talk about walking dogs and mention dog "poop" a few times. She was SO worried everyone was going to laugh when she read her presentation, but it was fine and every one was quite professional about it. Lol




Annie, and the whole class, did a great job and I was very proud. I was enjoying the moment so I didn't take photos. But it was pretty neat as the students had made us place mats and had a whole spread of goodies and served us...again more of that professional stuff. We had banana bread, fruit, green iced tea with fresh mint and the wonderful wild rice bread pudding!


My little author

The amazing Ms. Shane!

The world needs many wonderful teachers like her! 





8 comments:

  1. What a great project and teacher! My hubby loves rice pudding so I may have to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! The Mom I reached out too didn't have the typed recipe either so I'm still hoping the amounts are correct. Lol Annie is pretty particular so hopefully it'll be good and when I give it a go I think I'll half the recipe, as this was doubled. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  2. I do like wild rice. I give this a go. 3rd and 4th grades are my favorite to teach!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the amounts are right Margot. It was so good! This was doubled so you could easily halve this recipe. I'll have to play around when I make it too.
      xo

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful thing for Annie to be part of! Ms Shane is obviously a really great teacher. I never thought of wild rice pudding, but I imagine that it is great! I love normal rice rice pudding! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such an amazing teacher!

      I love regular rice pudding too - but I was skeptical about this version. But it was SO good! I just hope the amounts are right. Lol

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of wild rice pudding. Sounds like an interesting twist on an old favorite.

    How nice that Annie has such a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good Doreen! So different but really yummy. I'm still hoping all of the amounts are right. Lol

      Both of my kiddos have been blessed with wonderful teachers so I feel very lucky. But Ms. Shane is one of those extra special ones. ;)
      xo

      Delete