Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday Wonder

Peony & Puppy Love

My MIL has quite a few peony shrubs around her yard and they've been starting to open up!  This one is next to her house.





These are all along a fence in her yard.


And this one is next to their garage. The ones not open are all getting ready to "pop" open any day now!

This is a back view of their beautiful old historical home. It was built by a gentleman that owned a cement company in 1911. It's quite a fortress of a house and other then the peony fence side the whole thing is surrounded by a giant hedge. It's on a street in our city with other historical homes. It has beautiful leaded glass windows and lots of birds eye maple woodwork and quarter sawn oak woodwork. My in-law's used to own a painting a decorating company and know how to do just about everything. Through the years they've stripped woodwork and cleaned old doorknobs, took apart all the windows to put them back in actual working order with the old time weights to make them open and close. They brought it back to its former glory and it's truly beautiful. It was a labor of love for them back before my MIL had alzheimers.  Even their garage is 2 stories high as back in horse & buggy times they used to stack carriages in it. There also used to be a tunnel underground from the basement of the house to the basement of the garage. It's kind of a well known house in our city due to its unusual gothic architecture. We all love it and hate to see the day when they can't live their anymore due to age (there are lots of stairs as it's a 4 story home). 


Then back to our house for some puppy love. She loves her furry grandbabies just as much as the human variety.






10 comments:

  1. I love this post! It's good to see your wonderful MIL. I love peonies and hers are gorgeous! Their house is a treasure. I really appreciate all the work that went into fixing it up. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks for the wonderful comments Mari! I know you can relate so well with my MIL and some of the caregiving issues I deal with regularly. It's a blessing to still have good days and precious moments with her and I love sharing her & our lives and homes with you. Just like I love how you share yours with me. It's such a blessing to have blogging buddies that I feel are true friends in my life. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Carrie, your MIL's home is wonderful and her peonies are, too! My Mom and Dad grew peonies and I would always come home with a big bunch whenever they were in bloom. Very sweet photos of her with your cute daughter and pup. You are a wonderful DIL. It's so hard to see our loved ones get older, especially with Alzheimer's. You appreciate every day. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen!
      I agree about my in-law's house. It's not only a beautiful impressive place, but also very special and so full of memories.
      Aren't peonies just the prettiest? And they make the most impressive bouquets!
      Thanks so much for the sweet comments and support! I know you relate all too well. And there's comfort in knowing I'm not alone with what I go through.
      Blessings to you xoxo

      Delete
  3. Peonies are beautiful and fun! They make me smile and grew in our backyard when I was a kid. The house is quite lovely. I want to see the inside now! That fourth floor looks especially interesting! I hope your in-laws have many more years in their home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll have to take some photos inside so I can show you Terri! It's quite an impressive place. And so special to our family. I'll make sure I include the 4th floor when I do! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. How did I not know your mil has Alzheimer's?! I know you spend a great deal of time with her, but I never knew that. So sorry Carrie, but how fortunate is she to have you in her life!

    Your inlaws home was built when builders knew what they were doing and cared about quality. That house looks like it could withstand a tornado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Doreen! I've only talked about it a little bit on here and try not to make too big of a deal of it. That's why she's always with me on my Monday posts. I caregive for her 2 days a week. She can't be alone anymore.That's also why I cook for them a few days a week. My poor FIL can't cook a bit! Lol My MIL's name is Cherie and she was always such a blessing to me and there for me so much in my life. It's the least I can do now to pay her back a little.

      You said it exactly right Doreen! The quality of their home is truly AMAZING! I don't think Godzilla could knock it down! Ha!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Ah you know I'm a sucker for peonies!! Love 'em :-) what a fabulous house your in laws have, I've really enjoyed seeing it, like Terri, I'd love to see the inside too! What a great photo of Cherie and Annie, she just looks such a smiley lady :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are Alison - so hope those peony photos brought you much joy! ;)
      I love how you say that Cherie is a smiley lady - that's a perfect description of her!
      I'll have to do a post someday on the inside of their house. It is pretty awesome!
      xo

      Delete