Friday, June 17, 2016

Five on Friday & Scraptastic Saturday: Essential Oils

Happy Friday my Friends! 


I had some busy and fun adventures today at an art studio where my daughter has been going to art camp this week. Since today was the last day they had a little gallery show and pizza party. Lots of fun! But now I'm finally home and can get this post in before my day is done.  Today for my 5 I thought I'd share some of the essential oils I've been loving and some uses for them.


ONE






I love adding a few drops to my big water bottle. Just a very little gives a lot of flavor to boring old water. I like lemon, lime, or grapefruit...although lately my favorite has been just a few drops of orange oil.







TWO



I love lavender essential oil for using in a spray for the bed sheets. It's such a soothing smell and it's very calming and great for bed time. It's also a natural antiseptic and great to help treat minor scrapes or burns - so also handy to keep in the kitchen. Further you can read here how it can improve circulation on your scalp and be good for stopping hair loss and promoting hair growth. All that in one tiny bottle and you only need a few drops.








THREE



I love thieves essential oil! This oil is so versatile and smells so good! With it's clove, lemon and cinnamon base it smells like the holidays to me.  You can read more about it here, but it basically got its name based on a legend about thieves in the 15th century that used it on themselves to cover the smell when robbing those dead from the plague...and they never got sick, as it's supposed to help the immune system. I love to use it for a safe cleaner. Just put about one drop for every 1/2 ounce to ounce of water in a spray bottle and it's healthy and non-toxic, yet effective. Also, as you can see above - it helps numb things for the mouth if you have a toothache or gum pain. I guess clove oil was used for many years in dentistry as a common ingredient to help with tooth pain. My daughter had a tooth coming in recently that bothered her and she used this and it worked great to numb the pain. 








FOUR

As I have mentioned several times before, I love to use essential oils in the diffuser. I'm diffusing oils into the room with positive healthy properties to it....as well as making my home smell great. I'm still really into lavender and lemon together and often will add some orange too. In the Fall I love using thieves instead.










FIVE

Another fun use for essential oils is to make your own natural soaps and lotions. I recently picked up these goodies at the craft store and I'm going to use them to make some little bottle of lotions - great to keep or give as gifts! It will be fun to experiment with different smells. I think for summer lime would make a yummy citrus smelling lotion and of course I'll have to make a lavender one, as its one of my favorite oil scents for this time of year.   I didn't take a photo but I also use peppermint essential oil for headaches as needed. I have a little bottle that has a roller on the top and I keep it in my purse. A little bit at my temples or the back of my neck and I can truly get rid of headaches that way!



These are just some of the ways I've been using essential oils lately. I'm not selling oils or getting anything for talking about them. Nor am I any kind of expert; I'm still learning a lot but I love that everything is natural. I love the idea of not using things with chemicals in them...plus most oils actually have wonderful health benefits! I know a gal that makes her own cough drops and even has capsules she can fill with oils to make her own vitamins for health benefits. If you want to learn even more you can look at my pinterest board about essential oils here and read how they can help belly aches, acid reflux, allergies, help with skin and beauty and many more ideas. I just keep learning and I can honestly say that with the ones I've been using - they WORK! 


I'm linking with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.



I'm also linking with Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday.

Scraptastic Saturdays every Saturday @ 8 PM EST.


20 comments:

  1. Nice post on essential oils. I love lavender. It does smell good on pillows and it supposed to help you sleep. It certainly makes me relax! It's fun to make lotions and salves. I used to make quite a few of them but stopped when I didn't have the time. Lately I've been thinking about it again.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I think it's so fun to work on different mixings and see what smells the best together...and then they're all the wonderful health properties related to different oils. So fascinating. I think you need to jump back in! ;) xo

      Delete
  2. I just went to a class Wednesday night. We made bug spray and a few roll ons. I admit I'm a skeptic on some of the health benefits, and am waiting to see how they work, but I do love the smell. I already have lavender and use it the ways you mentioned. I ordered lemongrass because it smells so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the things you made help and you find some results the way I have with certain oils. It's so interesting I think - and fun!! ;) xo

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post. I never use essential oils but you have some nice ideas; I really like the one of spraying the sheets. And that your oils are not toxic, an important aspect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best thing about oils, in my opinion, is that everything is natural. Thanks Trish! ;) xo

      Delete
  4. What a useful post, I knew lavender was good for restful sleep, but i didn't know the rest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed it! ;) xo

      Delete
  5. What a great post, I love the idea of spraying the sheets, it might help with the disturbed sleep that I get. Never thought about adding it to water for a drink, definitely worth a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be surprised by how much lavender could calm you -and even help with your sleep! The citrus oils are the yummiest in the water in my opinion. ;) xo

      Delete
  6. I love Lavendar and use it for everything! Not in my water though lol
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE lavender too Jill! But agree - it's not as good for drinking...the citrus ones are the best there. ;) xo

      Delete
  7. Your choice of 5 essential oils and their uses has piqued my interest, will definitely be trying some of your tips. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie! Hope you have fun working with them yourself. ;) xo

      Delete
  8. Really interesting. I had no idea you could add them to drinking water. Your home must smell lovely with the oils diffusing! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you are having a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! You should give them a try - they're wonderful!! Maybe some thieves around could keep you from catching those colds!! ;) xo

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing the info. I want to experiment using essential oils more, and you have given me some great ideas of how and what to use. I am currently in love with the scent of Burt's Bees' body lotion...not certain what is in it though :)
    I am looking forward to visiting your blog more and am glad to have found your blog through Amy's Link Up. I was a Creative Memories consultant for seven years and have enjoyed putting some albums together but have more to do! I hope you are having a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gracie!! Oh how fun that you're a scrapbooker too and I LOVE Creative Memories products. They have always been the best - especially their albums and tools! Love finding a fellow scrapping kindred spirit. ;) xo

      Delete
  10. Great info Carrie! I love lavender, and use it when doing laundry all the time, but I have never used essential oils. Now I know who to talk to if I ever decide to get into it. Hope you have a great week my friend!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen! I find it all so fascinating...and I have truly found health benefits with many I've used. ;) xo

      Delete