Saturday, November 22, 2014

Let their light Shine

 
What is it about this time of year that makes me want to be surrounded by lights? I know that it gets dark earlier and that the holidays just come wired with all kinds of lights. Twinkling lights, Christmas tree lights, candlelight etc.
 
But I think a big part for me is the comfort those lights represent.  This time of year, for me, and I'm guessing for many is when I often think of and miss loved ones that aren't with us anymore or maybe live far away. I've been especially missing my Grandma lately who passed away almost 2 years ago now.  She was an incredibly special and influential person in my life.  She was so kind, smart, funny, caring, amazingly patient, crafty, a wonderful cook...I could go on and on.  She lived with Parkinson's disease for over 2 decades and took it in stride. She was strong and not a complainer.  She took up tai chi when she got the diagnosis to help with her movement and balance. She walked a couple miles almost everyday. That's the kind of Lady she was - she got things done.  She meant so much to me that I named my daughter after her.
 
We spent so many holidays at her house growing up and it was always something she made special by using her holiday dishes and candle light at the meals.  
 
 
So I think that's why I like to use lots of candle light (real and faux) to decorate around my house. 
 
I also use my scrapbooking as a way to remember my loved ones. When my Grandma had to move to a facility in a different city we still went for regular visits certain times throughout the year.  I feel so blessed my kiddos got such wonderful time with her too and really knew their great Grandma. I feel so blessed for that!  I have loved scrapbooking different visits we had there so my kids will always remember their time with Gram a little more clearly. And when we look at those photos how the stories and memories just seem to come and comfort.
 
 
Here is one scrapbook layout I did for a visit to see my Gram for her 91st birthday.  Her birthday was in the Spring and I love how the dimensional lilac stickers play off the dark blues and purples she's wearing in many of the photos.  Another thing to note is how ingenuity came into play here for the title. I realized I didn't have enough lower case letter stickers so I used a mix of capitals and lower case and it just added more whimsy to the whole feel of the title ("Grandma Anne") on the bottom of the pages (titles don't always need to go on the top, right?)
 
 
Here is one of my favorite photos on the layout. I was sitting next to my Gram and just asked her to turn and look at me and captured her sweet little grin and her look of love at me.  How do you find comfort at this time of year when loved ones are missed?
 


8 comments:

  1. I like that layout, your Grandma looks like a sweetie! My Mom passed away 11 years ago and it's true that we miss her more on the holidays. I'm comforted by knowing she's celebrating in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right Mari. It is comforting to know that they celebrate the ultimate Christmas in heaven.

      Delete
  2. Aw, that's a sweet tribute to your dear Grandmother! I love your scrapbook pages with the lilac sprigs and calico. Your Grandmother sounds like a wonderful woman and someone to look up to. Our parents and grandparents lived such honest and hardworking lives, paving the way for us to have easier and more comfortable lives by giving us all the good qualities that they passed down. Lighting candles and keeping photos on display keeps their memories alive. I just lost both of my parents within the last 3 years - they lived within walking distance of us for over 30 years. To this day I can't bring myself to walk down that lane to the home where we shared so many memories. My heart is still too tender. I think of them and my beloved grandparents nearly every day. The holidays are especially hard, but now it is time for us to carry on the legacy they left. Sending you hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - thank you so much for sharing & your comment brings tears to my eyes as I relate so well with some areas being so tender. What a blessing to have your parents so close so long! I will continue to celebrate my Grandma's legacy too & share the stories with my kids, cooking her recipes, sharing my scrapbook. So much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely memories to look back on. You are right, this time of year certainly makes us think of these sorts of things. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! That's one of the reasons my scrapbooks are such a comfort to me. ;)

      Delete
  5. My grandmother lived in Maine and I grew up in Alabama, so we didn't get to see each other much. BUT SHE WAS AN AWESOME WOMAN IN MY LIFE!!! She was the first person that I remember to pray for me and did so often on the phone. A godly woman she was!
    I never got to spend holidays with her because of the distance yet she was such a very memorable part of my holidays. There were phone calls, letters, and cards.
    The last time I visted her I told her I would like a couple things from her. I asked for the apron she was wearing (she also made it herself) and for one of her many journals. They are 2 of my most prized possessions. I can read her daily words and wear her apron and I can feel her so near.

    She is with my Lord now and that is fine to. I know He loves her more than me! Until I see her again, I have many memories of her and her journal and apron comfort me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tina - that's so beautiful! And what comforting and loving reminders of your Grandma...they are priceless treasures indeed! And I guess that's one of the greatest comforts of all, knowing our loved ones are with our Lord and that we'll see them again one day and can celebrate there. God bless. xo

      Delete