Thursday, November 20, 2014

Meat and potatoes

BBQ Meatballs Time!

As I mentioned before, I help out with my in-laws and I cook for them at least a couple times a week.  My father-in-law is more of the eater and can be fussier about the menu.  I am very respectful of my elders and it's ok I say that he's fussy as I tease him all the time and he'll be the first to admit it's true!  He's pretty much a basic meat and potatoes kind of guy.  So this recipe fits the bill for him really well. It's Pioneer Woman's recipe for BBQ meatballs and it's comfort food at it's best!


This photo is right before I put them in the oven.  This is the recipe right from the Pioneer Woman's site but if you go to her site she has great step-by-step photo directions. I definitely love her tip for using a small cookie scoop to make uniform meatballs and to freeze the before coating in flour. The only thing I changed is that I doubled her sauce recipe as we're saucy kind of folks and the original recipe wouldn't have been enough for us.  They are very meatloaf-like in a tangy kind of sauce.


I took a quick photo of some of the primary ingredients minus the salt and pepper & flour to coat and any other seasonings you want to add. 

 
FOR MEATBALLS

1-1/2 pound Ground Beef

3/4 cups Oats

1 cup Milk

3 Tablespoons Very Finely Minced Onion

1-1/2 teaspoon Salt

Plenty Of Ground Black Pepper, to taste

_____

FOR COOKING MEATBALLS

1 cup All-Purpose Flour (coating For Frozen Meatballs)

Canola Oil

_____

FOR SAUCE

1 cup Ketchup

2 Tablespoons Sugar

3 Tablespoons Vinegar

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire

4 Tablespoons (to 6 Tablespoons) Onion

1 dash Tabasco

 

Preparation Instructions

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

 
Combine all meatball ingredients. Roll into medium-small balls and place on a cookie sheet. Place sheet in freezer for five minutes.

 
After 5 minutes, remove meatballs from freezer and immediately dredge in unseasoned flour.

 Brown meatballs in canola oil until just brown. Place into a baking dish.

 Combine all sauce ingredients. Pour over meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or crusty French bread
 
 
We had our meatballs with giant baked potatoes. I coat mine with some olive oil and sea salt. I pricked the potatoes with a fork several times then rolled them up in foil and baked at the same temp as the meatballs just for a longer time since they only cooked at 350* (about and hour to hour & 15 mins depending on your oven). Add a salad and that's dinner!

 



3 comments:

  1. My hubby would love these! (And anything by the Pioneer Woman is usually very good)
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am new to your blog. I love meatballs, so tasty. How great that you cook for your family and help to take care of them. I look forward to reading more from you in the future. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mari - pioneer woman recipes are always a winner! I make her homemade pecan pie (crust and all) for Thanksgiving and it's unbelievably good!!

    Amy - welcome and thanks SO much for stopping by, it's greatly appreciated! I'm still pretty new to this blogging stuff but absolutely loving it!! I live for my family and I feel like they're the reason I was allowed the ability to stop my career and be a stay-at-home Mom. And now especially with my in-law's needs I feel blessed and honored to help care for them. ;)

    ReplyDelete