Friday, May 1, 2015

Five on Friday:Precious Gifts




I was putting some jewelry away in a little dish/bowl the other night. I love the little dish as it's my "go to" for keeping certain often rotated jewels handy. But it's special in that my daughter had made it for me from school a while ago. It got me thinking about some of those special treasures we have around, that may not hold a lot of value but they are truly precious gifts. Here are a few of mine:


Here's that dish I mentioned (obviously was made at Christmas time with the snowmen on it). And also a sweet pin my daughter made a few years ago too. Gifts made by the hands of my own children are incredibly special to me.




These are some items my son made for me. A mug that tells me how I'm the "best Mom" and a scarf that he made at school. Both from many years ago (he's soon to be a high schooler now). But isn't that scarf beautiful? His class that year dyed scarves themselves to give for Mother's Day. Gifts given with love = the best!




This is another special gift given to me by my Aunt when I graduated from college. It's a quilt she made for me. These are front and back views of the fabric. I just love and treasure it!! It was the bedspread for our bed for many years when my hubby & I moved into our first home. It's still well used, but at the same time taken care of with tender loving care because it is precious to me.




I'm including this photo of our wedding rings, as for a special anniversary one year I got an "upgrade" in the form of a new special wedding ring. But my original one is still so precious to my heart and I'm saving it - probably to give to my daughter or a potential grand daughter one day.  It's forever a symbol of the love between us and then the family we went on to create.




And finally, one of my most precious gifts are these amazing old albums from my Gram. I have a few of them and they hold my Grandpa's old army photos and my grandparents' wedding album and pics from the start of their life together. I treasured these albums even when I was quite young and would ask my Gram if I could look at them when I would visit at her house (Guess I was a scrapbooker in the making even then - Lol). And I used to love to pour over them and many pages have my Grandpa's handwriting as he would write things down for my Gram when he was away in the service. As you know I was very close to my Gram (named my daughter for her) and I was close to my Grandpa when I was a young Gal (he died when I was only nine). It touched my heart so much when we lost my Gram and my Dad & Aunts & Uncles (my Dad is 1 of 9 kids) all felt good about gifting these to me and letting me keep them. I will treasure them forever!


Here's a closer view at a few of my favorite photos from those albums. My Gram on their wedding day. See those pearls on her neck? They were a wedding gift from my Grandpa. I was blessed to receive them as a gift too. They're not really wearable anymore. But they are beyond precious to me.




These other 2 photos are from when my grandparents were dating. I love this one of them among the snowflakes with my Grandpa in his uniform and my Gram even in her heels reaching on tip toe to hug him. My Gram was only about 5 feet 4 inches.  My Grandpa was 6 feet 3 inches. 


Do you have precious gifts around your home as well? These gifts mean more to me than all the money in the world! I'm linking with Amy for Five on Friday.









16 comments:

  1. These are such wonderful and precious things indeed. I know that they are all in exactly the right hand with you because you treasure them and will care for them always. Things made by children and family photos are some of the most important things I think. Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Amy! I feel truly honored and blessed to have them. I love joining in and hope you have a great weekend too my Dear! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh, what special photos! I especially love that last one. You can really see how much they loved each other by their big smiles & embrace.
    No one can appreciate handmade gifts like moms!
    Like the new, Spring photos on your header too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! That last one is my favorite too! I love how it even caught the snowflakes falling in front of them.

      Amen on the Mom gift comment! And thanks about the header too - I like to change it up. ;)

      Delete
  3. Love this!! I also love old photos, my mom has a lot of them, and has created the albums for them, always fun to look at.

    Those handmade quilts are so beautiful and warm, my mom has quite a few of them. She has some her grandmother made, that she just displays on quilt racks and there is one we actually use that she made all by hand, and she had me and my sister actually help her quilt it...I was a teenager at that time, and sooo not interested. Yeah…sewing small stitches by hand as I sat there with my big 80’s hair and preppy clothes, reminding her that they have sewing machines for this type of thing, LOL. But I can appreciate them now for their beauty and knowing what it takes to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie!

      I know about the quilt! I bet your Mom just treasures hers too. It's as much a treasure as my scrapbooks! If there were ever a fire I'd tell my hubby grab the kiddos and our dog, and I'd grab my scrapbooks and blanket!! Lol xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Carrie, this is such a beautiful post you wrote about your family. How special to have those lovely gifts your children made for you. I so enjoyed the photos of your grandparents. They look to be the same age group as my dear departed parents. It's always fun to go down memory lane. My best to you. Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Pat!
      I love those old photos too! I love the hair and fashions and just the look at different more simple special times. And of course the love between my Gram & Grandpa just shines through to me. Thanks for stopping by and blessings for a great weekend! xo

      Delete
  5. I agree! These things, although not valuable to the rest of the world, are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family members are not only adorable, but smart. Who else could they possibly leave these treasures with but you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - you're beyond a sweetheart my dear Doreen. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a beautiful post, and what special 'things'....delightful! I think I'm going to do a post like this....just such a lovely idea! Love the photo of your Gran in her wedding dress - so beautiful! She looked so happy! Love your daughter's bowl and the scarf from your son?! How lovely! What a *great* idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen!

      You should do a post like this - and with your kiddos I bet you'd have many wonderful things to share!! ;)

      Love that pic of my Gram too. xoxo

      Delete
  8. You're right, the most treasured things we have are ones that often have little or no monetary value. I've enjoyed a peep at your precious things! xx

    ReplyDelete