Thursday, September 24, 2015

Fall Inspired Pasta Salad

It's been rainy here the past couple of days, so the weather has been much cooler - mainly in the 50's. I love looking out into the gray day and see the vibrancy of certain trees that are starting to change color. It gives me that sense of coziness as I look out onto the moody Autumn day. 


It also makes me hungry for Fall flavors! I've been going through recipes like crazy and planning some cozy Fall inspired meals in the days ahead. Today I want to share this yummy pasta salad recipe that I was given by an Aunt of mine. I love it as it's one that is versatile and can work by either using chicken or turkey - but I love it with turkey, as the other flavors in it remind me of Fall too.  So today I'd like to share:



Can you see the bits of turkey, celery, dried cranberry, and toasty salty almonds - all in a creamy poppyseed dressing? Delicious!  Here is the recipe and variations:



FALL PASTA SALAD
1 pound box curly or bow tie pasta,cooked, drained & rinsed
1 can whole salted almonds
2-3 cups cooked diced chicken or turkey
1/2 vadalia onion chopped small - (I didn't have one so I just left the onion out and it was still as good as when I've had it in)
1 cup sliced celery
1 bag dried cherries or cranberries

Dressing: mix 1 generous cup of mayo with 1 bottle of low fat/fat free poppyseed dressing (my aunt recommended Maple Grove Farms brand & that's what I used).

Mix all together and refrigerate for at least an hour or 2. This pasta salad just seems to get better the more it sits and the flavors marry. 

This is such a fun recipe - perfect for this time of year. When I still like to grill and eat a late summer style meal, but want to start introducing some Fall flavors. 


Hope you enjoy it! I'm linking with these 2 lovely Ladies:  Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Cooking Thursday.  And I will be linking with Andrea of Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday.


cookingthursday

scraptasticbutton




16 comments:

  1. Your fall salad looks quite scrumptious! Sure wish the 50 degree weather and rain would come my way. Have a great week!

    Renee ~ My Cooking Thursday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee!!
      Sending those cool Fall thoughts your way (& Hopefully some of our weather) :)
      Blessings to you xo

      Delete
  2. First of all, I love that pumpkin sitting on the table. Did you make that? And I bet all the jewels glow when the candle is lit.

    That salad sounds delicious. It's also the kind of thing that has no boundaries so I have to proceed with caution! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I wish I were talented enough to make that pumpkin - but it's actually one I picked up at Pier 1 imports a few years ago. ;)

      the pasta salad is quite yummy - and I know just what you mean about boundaries! Lol!! Blessings my Friend. xo

      Delete
  3. First of all, I love that pumpkin sitting on the table. Did you make that? And I bet all the jewels glow when the candle is lit.

    That salad sounds delicious. It's also the kind of thing that has no boundaries so I have to proceed with caution! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! There's something about pasta salads that truly lend themselves to making them ahead of time. That's a huge plus in my book!

    We could use some of the rain you've been having. I'm thinking the leaves aren't going to be as vibrant this year because it's been so dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Doreen! That's always why they're a fave over here too. And they tend to hold up well for a couple of days. ;)

      Sending you beautiful rainy vibrant colorful thoughts! I hope that you still get some pretty out your way. Prayers keep being sent out for all suffering from drought this year in the east and the west (and the poor wild fire issues out west!). Scary stuff!
      Blessings my Dear xo

      Delete
  5. Yum! I love pasta salad and this looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mari! Thanks and hope you like it if you try it! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love this recipe - it has everything I love in it! Fall always makes me want to try new recipes, too. Gotta fatten up for winter! Lol! Love your beaded pumpkin and pretty view :) xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Karen - I"m with you! Some of my favorite flavors so that's how I knew this one was a keeper. ;)
      Thanks my Dear! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Hi Carrie,
    Thanks for sharing your recipes. I am in the chowder mood myself. Corn and potato. A Colonial Williamsburg classic.
    Our house is on the market now…3 lookers last week, but no offers. It is going to be very raining this weekend, which is usually the last hurrah for the locals at the beach. Not a good weekend to show the house. Keep us in your prayers. We need to go HOME before the snow flies!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Margot! Been missing you!! So nice to hear from you and I'll definitely be sending prayers your way for you to sell soon! I just know things will work out and God will have the plan to get you back up to the North soon. ;)

      I'm thinking I may need to make a bacon corn chowder this week! Great minds think alike I guess, huh? Lol
      Blessings to you my Dear! xo

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I love a pasta salad too. Just love pasta full stop. Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Alison! Me too - and that's why my hips look like they do. Lol!
      Worth it though! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Mmmm! That does look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe...and I'm thinking about trying to make a scrapbook myself; we'll see how far that idea goes (probably depends on how soon I can get to Hobby Lobby ;) ).

    ReplyDelete