Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Heritage Scrapbook Part2 and Special Uncle

Hello my Friends!  

Sorry I'm posting so late today. I had a busy morning and then busy with my MIL, so didn't get a chance to get to it. 


Today I wanted to share some more from my Gram's heritage scrapbook I made her several years ago before she passed away. She was getting ready to leave her beautiful home on a lake in northern WI, after living there for 50 years and raising her family. Her Parkinson's disease had progressed to a point where she couldn't be alone anymore and was moving to a facility. We had a big celebration and I made this album for her all about the different parts of her life. You can read my post on the first part of her heritage album here.  


I wanted to share some more of her album as there's a really special part I really want to share with you...but I'll get to that soon. First of all, in the other post I had left off with my Gram as a young Gal and up to when she was a new bride. Well then she went on to become a Mother. I continued the pages with fun papers that look like old fabric or wallpaper. I have such fun with heritage/vintage style pages.

When I did this album I had my relatives offer a story or comments they might like to share and could put in the album. Several of my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins did and I would cut out the things they emailed or sent me and put them in. My Aunt Mary Jo wrote quite a lovely long letter of memories and I cut it into different parts that fit with what layout I was working on. So for this section of the album you'll see several quotes from her.  


Love this!



This cute little cherub is my Dad. He was 2nd out of 9 kids.



Love that top photo of my Gram with the kids she had up to that point in front of their old house before she moved to the one she would live in for 50 years. They moved to the house on the lake when my Dad was 10 years old.


the full layout of these pages


These pages about family showed some more old family photos. I did the quilted star look on this layout - like I did on this other layout here.


This album was so incredibly fun and special to work on as I looked through all the neat old photos.


My Dad (furthest left) and 2 of his brothers.


Love this die cut embellishment.



full layout 





Here's the full layout of these other family photos with some from an Aunt's wedding so some in-law's and grandkids are thrown in too. Then more just family photos of my Gram with my Grandpa and Aunts and Uncles. My Grandpa died when I was 9 years old. Got to love some of the fashions back in the 60's and 70's (photos on the left hand page).  


Here's some more lovely quotes from my Aunt:






And here is the extra special part I want to share which is about my Uncle Don (Donald). He is one of my Dad's 4 brothers and he is mentally challenged. He's always been such an incredibly special person in my life and to all of our family. When my Grandpa died fairly young (he was 63) my Grandma just took care of my Uncle Don on her own until she couldn't anymore and needed to move to a facility. My Uncle Don wanted to stay in that area and still get to go to his "work" (the Challenge Center he has been a part of most of his life). So he lives with a foster family there - but all of us relatives take turns visiting him or taking him on trips or to come stay with us different times throughout the year. My hubby and kids love him just as much as I do and we have him come stay with us for one week every year.


I absolutely love this photo of my Uncle Don with my Grandma. Don is coming for his annual visit with us next week. WE always have SO much fun and go on several adventures during that time.  I plan to take a break from posting next week while he's here.  He has the most infectious giggle. He loves to tell me about his work, his latest trips and travels,  the movies he'd like to see, and all about what the Green Bay Packers are up to as they are his favorite team! 



Titled: Donald's Angel - that was my Gram!












full layout


Thanks so much for sharing in these photo memories with me. I hope you enjoyed seeing the different scrapbook layouts. And especially getting to know a little about my very special Uncle Don.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Aw - thanks so much Kris!! And I love you dear Friend! Thanks for visiting in my little world here.
      See you in the "outside world" soon. Lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really can't tell you how much I loved this post! That album was such a labor of love, and is truly a priceless treasure. Then I got to the part about Uncle Don, and I was even more touched. I have had the privilege of taking care of some special needs people and they are such a joy! I can see that I would love your Uncle Don! And - you are such a special person to make that album, and take your uncle for a week. That says so much about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari my Girl! I know as a fellow caregiver you relate so well with my world too. I could easily have been a co-worker right there next to you at the long term care facility....you're just a State too far. Lol

      Your visits and comments mean so much my Dear!! Thank you for that - and all the support. Blessings to you! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Your album is so sweet--so many wonderful memories. You do a lovely job with your scrapbooks, and are an inspiration.

    I'm planning to get a scrapbook at Hobby Lobby tomorrow and try to get a project started. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany - you're so kind and such lovely compliments go right to my heart. xo
      I'm so excited for you to get a new project started!! How I wish I could shop with you - half of the fun is the picking out. :) You must share your project when you're done. Would love to see it!
      Blessings dear Gal. xoxo

      Delete
    2. I was wishing someone with a bit of experience could give me some advice in my shopping today! Ahhh...well, my selections should be "interesting" at least. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, Carrie, what a precious keepsake you have created of your dear Grandmother's life! I loved reading all the sweet memories and you have put it all together so beautifully! What a lovely family, with a beloved Grandmother who is the true definition of Motherly love. It's so wonderful that you all spend time with your special Uncle. This post really touched my heart <3 Hugs and blessings xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen!! It means so much that it touched you that way. These albums meant so much to me to make and my Gram loved them and treasured them, which was everything to me. She loved showing them off to family and friends that came by.
      When she passed away, I felt honored that my relatives wanted me to keep them for safe keeping. I bring them for family reunions at times and we will keep sharing in them for generations to come. And my Uncle Don is beyond words for how special he is to us. ;)
      Blessings xoxo

      Delete
  6. I hope that you have a wonderful week with Don, he and your Grandma obviously had a great bond and special love! Enjoy the break and the fun of doing great things and laughing a lot! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! I'm looking forward to our "Don time" next week. I know we'll have some very fun adventures.
      Blessings to you sweet Gal! xoxo

      Delete