Friday, September 25, 2015

Five on Friday: Cozy Drinks

This time of year gets me so excited! Not just because it starts to get nice and cool and crisp outside and I LOVE wearing sweaters and sweatshirts - and bundling under a soft blanket. And of course, there's the beautiful colors outside - and then we transition to the fun and swirl of activities for the holidays and all that great food and family time. But one of the best things about this whole season is the yummy cozy beverages!! There's nothing like a comforting hot mug of something wonderful on a cold day. I have a few of my own favorites -and of course I've been pinning some more on pinterest lately. So here are some I'd like to share with you today!


ONE


This is a recipe I have had for many years. When my hubby and I were married (almost 20 years now!) I was given a recipe box from my Grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins that contained many different family favorite recipes from each of them. This is one that my Aunt Mary Jo contributed that has been a favorite of mine for a long time now! I love it in the Fall and I also love it for the Christmas holiday. I do it like this at times and variations at other times. Sometimes I leave out the frozen lemon juice concentrate and do fresh lemon - add a little brown sugar etc. You really can't go wrong, just play with the flavors that you like. It's also lovely as an adult version with some apple brandy added, or maybe even apricot brandy. Feeling cozy yet?



TWO

Homemae Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe with Almond Milk

Here's a recipe I pinned on my pinterest board yummy drinks.  Of course Fall is all about the pumpkin lattes. There are many recipes all over pinterest for them. I found this one by "The Rising Spoon" blog extra intriguing as it's also vegan and little healthier. This gal even makes her own homemade almond milk, spices and whipped cream. I'd take shortcuts on all of that - but it's easy to get the idea to make a mug of something full of pumpkin goodness!


Ingredients
2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (get my homemade recipe here)
2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons of organic raw sugar 
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of homemade pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup dark roast brewed coffee or 2 shots of espresso
Homemade whipped cream*, (optional)
Ground cinnamon, for garnish (optional)

*The first time I made this I did not use whipped cream. The second time, I happened to have whipped cream on hand that I made with heavy whipping cream, so that's what I used. However, you can easily make your own Vegan Whipped Cream using full-fat coconut milk. Here's a simple coconut milk whipped cream recipe.

 


THREE


If you've never had a hot buttered rum drink - you are missing out! As they say, everything is better with butter ...even drinks! So yummy, especially after being out in a cold snowy day. Here's a recipe from Emeril.


Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water
ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST
Directions
In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002



FOUR
hot teas

Here's a link from "Cleverly Simple" also off of my pinterest board, all about delicious beverages, for many different kinds of hot teas you can make yourself. What's nice is that there are lot of good hot drinks out there that can even benefit your health! I think this slow cooker apple chai sounds fabulous!

http://www.farmfreshfeasts.com/2014/10/slow-cooker-apple-chai-for-crowd-or.html

Slow Cooker Apple Chai for a Crowd (or Yourself)  
This recipe makes about 3 quarts and keeps in the fridge a few days. 2 quarts water (I used hot water straight from my electric kettle to save time) 12 tea bags (I prefer a blend of 6 caramel and 6 spiced chai bags--the kind for a single cup, these are) 2 12 ounce cans apple juice concentrate (or cranberry apple juice concentrate if you like) 12 ounces water (to rinse out the cans to get every last drop of apple concentrate) In a 3 quart slow cooker, set to High, steep the tea bags in 2 quarts hot water for 15 minutes. Remove tea bags (worms love this, so does your outdoor compost bin or overwintering garden bed). Pour in apple juice concentrate, then fill up 1 can with water and rinse out both cans, pouring the water into the crock pot. Cover and let it go for an hour, then turn it down to Low for serving - 


FIVE

And then there's my yummy Snow Cocoa, which I've posted on here before. This photo is actually from regular cocoa out on my deck last winter. I don't have a photo of my snow cocoa (white chocolate cocoa) - but I usually serve it with a candy cane for a stirring stick. I also often add a bit of mint Baileys to it. Delish! Here's the recipe:



Not low cal, but definitely yummy!  You must be feeling nice and cozy now, right? 

I'm linking with Amy from Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.

20 comments:

  1. Five delicious drinks!!! I can also recommend a splash of brandy in hot chocolate! That is delicious too. The chai sound really nice! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Love the brandy hot chocolate idea - yum!
      Happy weekend xoxo

      Delete
  2. Five fantastic drinks, I am popping into the kitchen to see what ingredients I have for making one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you found something yummy and got nice and cozy. :)
      Happy weekend xoxo

      Delete
  3. I think the snow cocoa would be my favorite! And...a recipe box of family recipes--that sounds like a wonderful wedding present!!! Would there be any chance you could kindly drop a hint to my family for me that that's what I want if I ever get married? ;) It's not exactly one of those things you can register for! Thanks for sharing all these fall drink recipes with us. I do love fall...it's the fact that it's just before winter that saddens me...but I guess I shouldn't talk about that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That snow cocoa is one of my very favorites too Bethany! Such a treat on a cold winters day. ;)

      I will gladly drop the hint - you just tell me to whom and where. Lol
      I hear you...I always have a hard time with the long winter too! But we'll keep focusing on this beautiful season for now. Sending you cozy thoughts!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I make wassail that is almost the same. So good! I like the sounds of that snow cocoa too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the cozy drink time of year! It's so good isn't, it? And nice that there are SO many wonderful options. One of my favorite things to pick out to make when I know I'm having friends or family over. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  5. :) You know I love that last pic!! The snow cocoa is very good too. Waiting for it to cool down a bit more so I can start making hot cocoa, it's cool in the morning put the afternoons have been warming up still. I'm ready for the sweaters and hoodies myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie-girl!
      You're a cocoa loving Gal right after my own heart. ;)
      The season is right around the corner. Have those hoodies ready!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. They look delicious, Carrie, just right for chilly days! Have a super weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison!
      Happy weekend to you! xoxo

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed seeing each of these drinks and the recipes - very interesting. Looks pretty easy to make one's own almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! I love that there's such a wonderful variety of cozy drinks to chose from...depending on one's mood, menu or the weather. Such a fun time of year!
      Happy weekend xoxo

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing some wonderful winter drink recipes. Right now, it's 97 degrees outside and blazing hot. I wonder if it will ever be winter here in Southern California. But I'm sure I will try your recipes. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you cool crisp thoughts - so you can enjoy nice and cozy soon!
      Happy weekend to you! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Carrie, I can't wait to try some of these once it gets cooler here! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia! Hope you enjoy and hope you get some cool crisp Fall weather there soon! xo

      Delete
  10. These sound delicious! Can't wait to give them a try! Have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! ;)
      Blessing to you too for a lovely day. xoxo

      Delete