Thursday, February 5, 2015

Zesty and Sweet Taco Meat (&Fab-ruary Day 5)

 
 
 

I wanted to share our family recipe for taco meat - as I think it's quite a bit different than typical taco meat. Growing up in my family we always had the traditional more dry taco meat in our tacos. This is a family recipe from my hubby's side and how they always eat tacos.  The first time I had it I thought it was so different, but realized how much more I liked it and have never looked back!  It's a wetter, almost sloppy joe style, taco meat.  And they always add a little bit of ketchup....yep you heard me correctly...ketchup at the end to give a little sweet with the zesty. If you don't like ketchup but want the little bit of sweet add a tiny bit of brown sugar. You can use easy jarred ingredients - or if you have homemade salsa throw that in for a more fresh taste. If you don't have pre-made taco seasoning than throw in some garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin as an easy substitute. I think of the taco seasoning as pretty salty - but you can salt and pepper your meat as you go as well. Adjust to your taste!

 
 

 

I always make a pretty big batch (3 pounds of ground meat) of it, as I cook for my in-laws too. If you wanted to make a large batch you could easily freeze some of it.  You could also halve the recipe without a problem too. My hubby likes it on soft tortilla shells...I like it on hard shells and we both love it on nachos!! Here's a closer look at the recipe on the card I made for another page in my daughter's personalized cookbook:

 

 

DayFive



 

I'm also relating my post today to my Fab-ruary Day 5 link up with Helen at I Will Bloom about what makes me smile.  There are SO many things I could list here...and the top being my family. However, I know I expressed the importance of my family in yesterday's post. So I want to share that my love of cooking makes me smile!

 

I love making a meal, or baking, for my family and my in-laws or my Mom or other family and friends. It just brings such joy to be able to do something that is every day - yet special for them. In my family we always joke "food is love" - but I think that's pretty true.  When I cook for loved ones it's just another way to show them my heart. And that makes me smile.

 



 

10 comments:

  1. Great recipe! (How's your cookbook scrapbook going?) and I also love to cook and totally agree that food is love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming along pretty well Hon. Still far from finished - but having such fun deciding which recipes will go in.

      Delete
  2. That sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! This is the recipe I have been waiting for! Thanks so much for sharing - this would definitely be so good on nachos! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Karen! Hope you like it as much as we do. Xoxo

      Delete
  4. Sounds great! I have only ever had fairly dry tacos, but I expect that these are wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them so much better than dry taco meat. Hope you'll try & like it too Amy! Xo

      Delete
  5. I'll definitely give this one a try, we love food like this! Thanks for sharing your recipe xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good Alison!! Hope you like it. Ole! Lol
      Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo

      Delete