Monday, August 17, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday


Happy Monday to All! Hope you had a lovely weekend. They feel like they're flying by as summer is soon coming to a close. We had been so busy for many weekends away packing in summer events. It was nice to be home this last weekend, instead, and focus on some projects around the house. Lately, I've been thinking FAll thoughts and have been registering kiddos for school and picking up things for their school supply lists. The geese have been flying over our house and at night I have felt Autumn in the air. 

This past weekend I had my 25th high school reunion and was on the planning committee for it. The event went great and it was a lot of fun catching up with some former classmates. But now I'm ready to focus on the week ahead!


THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Sunny and cooler. Only 60's now. It's supposed to hit the 70's today and then the next couple of days only be in the 60's.  A much cooler week and that's fine by me!


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

My MIL and daughter opted for a blueberry waffle. I had 1/2 an onion bagel. We all had some fruit. My MIL and I had some coffee with hazelnut creamer.

  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

I see & hear a wood pecker out doing it's thing on the birch tree outside.  Birds are singing away! A beautiful summer day.


RIGHT NOW I AM:

Sitting in the t.v. room with my MIL watching the news and finishing coffee. I have the window open letting the nice cool breeze in and it feels wonderful! We chat at times and my MIL is fixed on thinking she forgot her shoes and really they're in the other room where she always puts them. She keeps asking me every few minutes: "I forgot my shoes. Do you have some?" Some mornings are more challenging.


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

The usual laundry needs to be done of course! I need to throw a few dishes in the dishwasher and get the clean clothes to the kiddos' rooms so they can put them away. 


ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

I think my MIL and my daughter and myself will go run a few errands and then maybe pick up some subs to have a picnic in the park.  We need to run the teenager to his workout session this AM. Then he has soccer tryouts later this afternoon.



CURRENTLY READING:

I've been having such fun reading some new Fall magazines coming in the mail. I am truly enjoying these final weeks of summer, but Fall is starting to hover in the background ready to jump into my world very soon! I've also been reading some Fall cookbooks and love the Autumn tips as well as the recipes. I can't help myself! It's my favorite season!!


ON THE TV TODAY:

I have some cooking shows to catch up on and the rest of Cedar Cove.


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

Tonight we'll do something simple as my daughter has her soccer game. Then I need to get groceries tomorrow. We'll be celebrating my son's birthday this week and will probably grab KFC for that night (one of his fave's) - and we'll do cake and ice cream. Been looking through a Fall cookbook and trying to decide what I want to make for the in-law's this week. May make stuffed peppers for us one night (don't think my FIL would like it though). Maybe something on the grill or something in the slow cooker. Just not sure yet.


WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I've been catching up on more of the school years layouts in the kiddos' scrapbooks. Thinking "back to school" thoughts all the way. Lol!


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

I made a yummy pasta salad last week, that I hadn't made before, and the flavors were great! I'll share that later this week. I'd really like to make some stuffed peppers. I've had them before, but have not made them. I think I may try to make them healthier too by using brown rice (I'll flavor with stock) and maybe even turkey sweet Italian sausage.  I also may try a ravioli casserole within the next week or two.


TIP OF THE WEEK:

If you have a CD or DVD that isn't working well - take it out and spray a little window cleaner on a soft paper towel and gently wipe down the back of the disc. If it doesn't have a big scratch that should take care of the problem.

FROM THE CAMERA:
Some reunion classmates



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:

Great words for anyone but especially for some new students!

I'm linking with Sandra from Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

15 comments:

  1. Happy Monday!
    Yes... I am ready to feel some fall in the air myself.
    Always love sharing some time with you in the mornings. : )
    And the stuffed peppers sound good! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our time together too Billie Jo. ;) Love that you're such an IG Bestie too. Happy week ahead my Dear! xo

      Delete
  2. Loving the sounds of your weather! I am SOOO SOOO ready for fall and have been looking towards the fall recipes in the magazines too. When I make stuffed peppers I like to halve them and grill them first and then stuff and bake. Maybe FIL would like them "open faced"?

    Interesting CD tip. I had read somewhere that toothpaste works well if it is scratched.

    Hope your picnic was great and you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear Tamy - you're the tip MASTER and I bow down to you! :) Love it!!
      I love your idea for the grilled peppers and I'm so copying that. Thanks my Dear and hope you have a wonderful week too. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Onion bagels are my absolute favorite!!!
    I love that you get along well enough with your MIL to go places with her. Mine's a bear! Ugh!
    Have an awesome week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great taste on the bagels Joanna! Lol
      That's so unfortunate about your MIL. Mine has been one of my best friends for almost 28 years, since I began dating her son at 16 years old. We've now been married for 20 years. She has been there for me many times in my life, so I feel blessed to help her now at this stage of her life as she has Alzheimers. I'm a caregiver for her several days a week...so you'll see her in my Monday posts a lot as I have her with me every Monday.
      Blessings on your week ahead! xo

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a good turn out for the class reunion! It is almost sad to hear fall--ah, did I say that word?!--mentioned! I love the season itself, while at the same time I dread it, since it is the harbinger of winter. I think I would go with the blueberry waffle over the onion bagel. It is hard to top blueberries! Your pasta salad sounds good. My mom and/or sister made a delicious pasta, bean, and cheese dish today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Bethany. I'm not a fan of Winter either (which is hilarious with where I live) - but I LOVE Christmas so much so I look forward to that season. However Fall is my absolute favorite season in the whole world so I always embrace it with open arms and squeeze every bit of it out that I'm able to because it goes too fast! ;)

      Your Mom and Sister's dish sounds wonderful! xo

      Delete
  5. Sounds as though you had a great weekend and will have a great week this week too with lots going on. Happy Birthday in advance for your son! The school reunion looks as though it was good. We don't have such things here. I hope that your MIL is feeling less worried today. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Busy week - but aren't they all these days. Lol
      My MIL was much better by the afternoon and we had a lovely lunch on the deck and then spent the afternoon at the park.
      Hope your week is wonderful my Dear! xo

      Delete
  6. You are an inspiration for the patient, loving care you give to your MIL!
    I was feeling a bit fall-ish last week as our temp's were mid 80's with low humidity but this week they went back up to high 90's so I'm back in summer mode! Glad you're enjoying the cooler weather - I'm okay with the heat and humidity. (I know, I'm weird! ;)
    Your reunion looks like a blast!
    And yes, sometimes a weekend home to 'catch-up' during the summer is the best!
    Have a great day, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - sounds like you're living in the right place if you like that heat Laura! Whew - God bless ya! Lol
      Thanks for the sweet words about my MIL. I feel it's a blessing that I'm able to be there for her this way...but some days are quite hard.
      I am enjoying this busy week as it's busy with good stuff and looking forward to a wonderful weekend to catch up on my life a bit! Hope your week ahead is wonderful my Friend. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Love the quote!! I can’t believe summer is just about over. We are still having some hot weather, and storms tonight!! But we need the rain…you know I’m looking forward to the snow :) I need to get back into trying some new recipes again, and reading more. The other day my daughter commented on my tan lines, which I have noticed too, which is good, shows that I’ve been doing things outside, will just continue to enjoy it while I can. :)

    BTW I have nominated you for the Three-day Quote challenge, you can read about it here. http://wp.me/pgklb-G5

    There’s no time limit on it, and just thought you might like doing it :) Have a great week hon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you are with that "s" word again - you crazy Lady! Lol I am looking forward to hibernating more too with new recipes and reading too. ;)

      Thanks for nominations and I am participating! xoxo

      Delete
  8. I am SO ready for fall but it will be awhile yet in my neck of the woods. I enjoy getting to know you through your posts. Have a great week!

    My HHM post

    ReplyDelete