Saturday, August 29, 2015

Beautiful North Shore

Hello Dear Friends and Happy Weekend!


I wanted to share some photos of my beautiful northwoods and an area near us called the Minnesota North Shore. We head north from my northwoods to go up the north shore - so we call it going "up the shore". It's been a tradition for several years now that we like to get up there once a summer before school starts. We took our north shore road trip a week or so ago. Sometimes the teenager goes as well, but he opted out this year. So it was my Mom, my Annie and her friend with me this trip. I captured some photos to share the beautiful day with you.


First, we stopped at a fun little candy shop that we love along the way. We needed to store up on treats to save for later of course. They have wonderful homemade candies, taffies, fudge and the best homemade caramels ever! I recommend the ginger caramels. Also, wonderful turtles and jams and sauces. It's an adorable place with fun activities outside as well. Don't you love our cute little bears with their caramel apples?



Next, we ate at a favorite little cafe with wonderful home cooking! I had a cup of butternut squash soup that was amazing, as well as a fresh salad with strawberries, pecans, feta cheese and basil lime vinaigrette. They also make their own homemade kettle chips with homemade french onion dip.  And they have the best creamy hot chai tea too. Yum!




Then we went to a favorite beach area. It was a little chilly at first and quite cloudy that day. But later on the sun peeked through and we needed to take off our coats as we got nice and warm. Here's my cute Mumsy taking in the beauty. There are nice big rocks that make a perfect seat to sit and reflect and listen to the water and the gulls.





My daughter and her friend loved finding feathers and driftwood and playing with the rocks. I was teaching them all how to skip stones. They got the hang of it after a while but I still held the record at 7 skips!




We have the most beautiful stones in our area. We have sandy beaches too, but many of our beaches look just like this. We're also known for our agates. 

ag·ate

ˈaɡit/
noun
  1. an ornamental stone consisting of a hard variety of chalcedony, typically banded in appearance.
    • a colored toy marble resembling a banded gemstone.
      plural noun: agates





The sky, with its puffy clouds, was breathtaking that day. This is our beautiful Lake Superior....the largest of the Great Lakes. The bay I live on feeds right into this big beautiful lake.  I love when the sky and water look like they meet and go on forever. It felt like we were surrounded in a shroud of blue and gray. 


We ended our time at the beach and then stopped at a couple of gift and antique shops before heading for home. I found a few fun treasures for myself, a few birthday gifts for loved ones, and even some Christmas goodies for our funny door prize game. We then piled back in the car and munched some of our yummy treats we picked up earlier as we listened to fun music and enjoyed the beautiful views on the way home. It was a great day!!


The before school fun continues so I will not be home Monday and so won't be able to do my happy homemaker Monday post this week. I'll be back for it next week though! School starts Tuesday - yay!!

 

16 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful place and it looks like you all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tori! It was just one of those perfect, fun, family days.
    Blessings for a beautiful weekend to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day! I love, love, love those stones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I'm pretty partial to our beautiful rocky beaches myself. ;) xo

      Delete
  4. What a great trip up the shore!! I hope that you have a good time whatever you are doing on Monday and that the return to school on Tuesday will be a good one for all concerned! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! We had a great time at the Minnesota State Fair and now it's back to the real world. First day down for my Girl and my Boy starts tomorrow. Yay for back to school and Fall! xo

      Delete
  5. Seven skips?? Girl, that's a record! You know how many I've done? Zero, nada, zilch.

    Now, that lunch you had sounds delish, and consists of many of my fav foods, most notably the chai tea. If that's on a menu, it's on my plate!

    You're making so many lovely memories with your family Carrie, and I'm sure they appreciate all the fun things you all do together.

    Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Doreen! Chai tea (iced or hot) is one of my very favorites too!

      If only you were closer - I could definitely teach ya to skip a stone...at least a few times. ;)

      We really had a fun summer & it's hard to see that end. But I am ready for cooler weather and back to school routine in my life! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Such a nice trip, Carrie! I love the candy store pics - too cute! I once worked at a candy 'factory' that made ribbon candy and butterscotch lollipops. I practically OD'd on those pops, I'll tell you! Your lunch sounds wonderful, too! It's so nice to live near such a beautiful shore. We flew over the Great Lakes on our way back from Boston recently and I couldn't believe the hundreds of miles of unspoiled landscape. Lovely photos of the scenery and sweet ladies. Sounds like a wonderful time! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I think a candy store would have been a VERY dangerous spot for me to work - or my kiddos! Lol

      I do feel so blessed to live in such a beautiful part of God's beautiful earth. I feel like we have a little bit of heaven here - truly unspoiled in many areas. If one can handle the difficult cold winters, I guess that's the reward we receive...more natural areas due to less population. ;)

      Blessings my Dear! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful pictures!! The Great Lakes are magnificent. My mom’s friend visited from Louisiana once, and she couldn’t believe how large Lake Michigan was, my mom had to keep telling her it was just a lake.

    I am impressed with your stone skipping record!! How fun, and those stones are beautiful. So glad you are enjoying your last days of summer vacation. Have a great week hon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my Carrie-girl!
      The Great Lakes truly are magnificent aren't they? I feel blessed to live somewhere so beautiful here in my northwoods off of the big Lake. ;)

      It's been such a fun summer - but I'm ready for Fall! Looking forward to sharing the prettiest season of all around here. Blessings. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Fun, fun, fun! I love seeing that sweatshirt weather is under way! Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamy! We did have a nice cool down - now having a few hot days (of course now that kids need to be back at school) Lol. Been lots of fun though and I think we're all ready to embrace Autumn. xoxo

      Delete
  9. Hey Carrie! Wow, the north shore looks beautiful, I can't get over the enormousness (is that even a word?) of it all, it is vast! I'd love to sit and look through all those pebbles. My girls are always looking for the perfectly shaped smooth ones :-). What a fun day out with your mum and your girls xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison!! Welcome back. I missed you. ;) I'll come visit your blog soon!!

      Our big beautiful Lake Superior is quite large. It's roughly over 31,000 square miles or about the size of Austria. The whole of the Great Lakes is really impressive and stunning. I wish you were closer I could take you for a visit to play among the stones yourself and show you how to skip them!

      Blessings to you my Dear! xoxo

      Delete