Thursday, August 20, 2015

Three Day Quote Challenge: Day 2



"It isn't possible to love and part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal." ~ E.M. Forester, A Room with a View

Okay. I just need to be a pure romantic for a minute and use this quote for my challenge today. I absolutely love E.M. Forester works. Howards End, A Passage to India, and A Room with a View to name a few.  A Room with a View is an absolute favorite and the movie based on the novel is one of my favorite movies of all time! It's a pretty dated movie now (1985) -but packed with celebrity power: Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Day Lewis to name a few.


I love the main character, Lucy Honeychurch, who is confined by the decorum of the age to behave a certain way...but underneath there's such a passion that she hides. Until a true love (not her finace - gasp), brings it out of her and she can't deny who she is any longer. 


 I absolutely fell in love with Italy because of this movie. And finally in 1999 I had the opportunity to realize my dream to travel in Europe when I went on a trip with my Aunt (much like Lucy). I told my Aunt my main request, of all of our planned destinations, (we visited 5 countries) was to go to Florence in Italy and stay on the Arno with a view....which we did. I was already married to my hubby at the time - but it was a very "romantic" trip nonetheless as I fell even more in love with Italy. It was an absolute dream come true!

4 comments:

  1. I like this quote. I'm going to have to watch that movie now. Italy looks very beautiful, how wonderful you got to fulfill your dream to visit there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you like it if you get to watch it Carrie Ann! I wish and dream for you a trip to Italy in your life my Dear! It's amazing. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love Room with a View! Love it! And am a total Italophile.....my dream was also to stay in Florence with a view of the Arno....we did, I walked all over Florence all day every day we were there, just soaking it all in....couldn't have been happier! There's just 'something' about Italy, isn't there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - my Italian loving kindred spirit. ;) I threw my coin in the Trevi fountain in Rome so I'm destined to get back there one day, right?
      I really loved Florence though. From eating gelato EVERY DAY because it was sooo good, to shopping on the ponte vecchio, to sipping an espresso as I gazed at the Duomo. And of course, waking up in the AM and leaning out my window and gazing adoringly at the Arno, just so I could feel like I was right out of the movie! Molto Bene!! xoxo

      Delete