Thursday, August 13, 2015

Fresh Peach Salsa

This is a recipe I've had for many years now and is always a favorite in the summer. It's actually one of my Mom's favorite summer recipes in the whole wide world. Lol! Now first I want to start by saying that I usually put cantaloupe in the recipe (which adds lots of yummy sweet flavor), but forgot to get one before I made it - so went without and it's still yummy. The most important thing for this salsa is that you want your peaches to be really ripe and juicy and yummy. Keep them on the counter and not refrigerated to have them at their most ripe and flavorful.





I actually think this recipe is from when I was watching an Emeril Lagasse cooking show long ago and all I did was jot down ingredients. So, unfortunately, I have no actual measurements. I guess that's just how I roll sometimes. But it's never ceased to be wonderful so I think you can't mess it up. I took about 3 pretty big peaches (but probably 4 or so smaller ones would be about right too) and cut them into small bite (salsa size) pieces.


Now again, here I would normally add about 1/2 to a cup of small chopped up cantaloupe as well. Then add about 1/4 cup (maybe a little less) of chopped red onion.


Unfortunately I didn't have the sweetest peaches so I added a little sugar. However, if you have wonderful peaches AND the cantaloupe like you're supposed to - no extra sugar is needed.


Next, add one jalapeno that's been seeded and chopped finely. 


See all those pretty colors coming together. It's really one of the prettiest summer dishes too.


I didn't get a photo, but add salt and then the juice of a lime. I also add ground coriander as that's what Emeril did according to my recipe. It does give it a yummy flavor. It's basically the ground version of cilantro, and fresh cilantro is also added.


Add lots of yummy fresh chopped cilantro. This was right out of my herb pot! MMmmmm. LOVE cilantro!


Then add some blueberries or blackberries. Both are equally delish in this salsa. That's what I love about a condiment like salsa - it's so versatile and you can throw in the flavors you like the most.  Once everything is mixed together I like to let it chill in the fridge for a while and blend the flavors.


Then grab your favorite tortilla chips and dig in! This is also really good with tortillas that have been brushed with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, bake, and cut into chips. Or to be even easier - serve with cinnamon graham crackers for dipping.  This also makes an excellent accompaniment to fish or chicken (imagine yummy marinated and grilled chicken topped with this salsa). Or take a quesadilla filled with  cumin seasoned chicken, monterey jack cheese, and avocado - pan fry or grill it - and then top with this salsa! Add a margarita and it's summer heaven. 



10 comments:

  1. Minus the hots for me, this sounds good. I love peaches and always enjoy seeing new recipes. :-) Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's just as yummy without the "kick" too Jill. Lol
      Have a wonderful and blessed weekend my Dear! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh yum, I have to try this! Hubby will love it. Perhaps we'll BBQ this weekend and have this with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really delicious Tamy and just kind of a perfect late summer treat. I have some white peach vinegar and I think I may try to incorporate that next time I make it. I thought then I could even use the white peach vinegar in a marinade to grill some chicken to go with it. Doesn't that sound yummy?
      Have a beautiful and blessed weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! I don't like cantaloupe, but the rest of this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I think the cantaloupe adds a nice fresh sweetness, but you could definitely make it without - just may want to add a little sugar. And I'd recommend adding that coriander, it just works to add another layer of flavor too.
      God bless for a wonderful weekend Hon! xo

      Delete
  4. Great photos - this looks AMAZING!!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Perfect summer flavors. ;) xo

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think it's a winner Amy!! Lol :) xo

      Delete