Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Tattoo Tuesday

I wasn't sure if I had shared this information before, but yes I have a tattoo. It got me to thinking if any of my other blogger friends out there have a tattoo or not? What are their thoughts on the whole tattoo thing? If you do have one (or several) I'd love for you to share it as a post on your own blog so I can read your scoop as well. I think tattoos seem to be a fun creative outlet for folks, or a way to share something meaningful.


I found it interesting that at the time I decided to get a tattoo (I was 30 years old) it was becoming the big new "thing" for folks about my age to get them. Professionals and non-professionals alike.I was a working professional at that time as a social worker. I had a new son about a year old. But for some reason I really had a hard time with the number "30" and felt I needed to do something rebellious! Let me tell you, this is about as far from who I am as it goes. My little brother is the rebel. He's the military man and has tattoos and piercings. He's jumped out of air planes and dove off of cliffs. He's the adrenaline junkie and I have a SANE mind. But when I had a hard time with the big 3-0 I thought I needed to do something my brother would do. So I decided to get a tattoo (I was definitely NOT going to jump out of a perfectly good airplane).


So then I had to think about what kind of tattoo and where?? I decided I wanted something small (I didn't want my boss unhappy) and I wanted it to mean something. So I came up with a jewelry plan....a ring to be exact...that would be small and yet meaningful to me.

So I described to the tattoo artist that I wanted a heart in red (my favorite color) but I wanted the "bands" of the ring to make the letters "A" for the initial of my son and husband's first names.


Can you make out the sideways "A" there?


And here's the sideways "A" on the other side. As you can see the outline of the heart and bands are in black. There's a little light blue shading behind the heart for contrast.


I would like to share that getting the top part of the tattoo did not hurt too badly, however the sides on that sensitive part between the fingers was, let's say, not enjoyable. I channeled my inner baby brother and I was tough through it all and didn't cry (although I would have liked to a few times!) Also, the very reputable tattoo artist (I did my research) was very good and I liked his work. He did inform me they guarantee their work but not on hands or feet.  There is so much regular wear and tear on those parts, and constant shedding of skin, it's impossible to guarantee. And as you can see there is some fading on the inner parts. He also had a hard time getting his tattoo tools in between my fingers and had to bend them in crazy positions...which also didn't help with the pain factor.


Now 14 years later, would I do it again? When I look back I think "why did I think I needed to do this?" and feel I would not do it again. However, at the time it did serve it's purpose in my mind and the crazy feelings I had about turning 30. I mostly don't even notice I have it anymore or think about it until at Target the check out girl says, "OOooh cool tattoo!" when I'm running my card. And then of course, there was the fact that my daughter came along about  5 years later and when we decided to name her after my Gram she ended up with an "A" name too. So I now say that the 2 "A"s in the band stand for my kiddos' initials. After all, my wedding band symbolizes my hubby. 


So what is your tattoo story or thoughts??



16 comments:

  1. I don't have a tattoo because I'm deathly scared of needles (and pain isn't a big favorite of mine either) so they've always been pretty much out for me. I do like your ring tattoo though. I love the subtly of it. Otherwise when I hear tattoo, the inner 80s girl in me can't help but think "De Plane! De Plane!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Jean! I just laughed so hard at your Fantasy Island reference!! ;) I forgot all about that show and "Tattoo".
      Yep, if you don't like needles - definitely not a good idea to get a tattoo. They only bothered me when I was really young. I went through such health problems when I had my son that I got pretty desensitized even further so they don't bother me much at all now. xo

      Delete
  2. I don't have a tattoo. I've not felt compelled to get one. Something I like today, may not be something I like tomorrow and you can't just wash them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is very smart thinking Terri - and something I think I should have thought about more even with my "crisis" at 30. Lol
      Mine isn't too bad, but I think a LOT of folks live to regret their tattoo choices.

      Delete
  3. No tattoo here, but I said that I would have a ladybug on the bottom of my foot, but I haven't ever done it! Why the bottom of my foot - for reasons similar to yours, so that no one would see it and complain! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the very bottom - like underneath? I think that would really hurt, plus I'd think I was "squishing" it all the time. Lol
      My SIL has a purple flower on the side of one foot (purple is her favorite color) and it's just small and pretty. I think a ladybug would be adorable and maybe you could have a little dotted path like from where it had been "walking" ;) xo

      Delete
  4. I don't have a tattoo but am always fascinated to hear people's stories as to why they got theirs (there's always an interesting story behind every one). I've been toying with the idea of getting one: a small star on the inside of my wrist. But, hey, I haven't got my ears pierced - still! - so I think the tattoo is a long way off yet! Love yours: what a great idea to get one like a ring (and love that you have your children's initials incorporated in to it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear Helen!! You must go for the ear piercing!! Start small first - I agree. But what fun it is to pick different earrings to go with your outfits. You creative Gal would have a fabulous time with that jewelry!! Go for it Girlie!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I'm not a tattoo lover - I don't like pain and I've seen what they look like when people get old. I think anyone contemplating one should come visit a nursing home. :)
    However, if I was going to get one, having it in a spot like you do, with meaning like yours would be the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love that idea Mari. If you're below a certain age you must visit a nursing home before getting a tattoo! Too true - I've seen the results as well. Lol :)
      I figure if mine gets too faded one day I just buy a BIG diamond ring to cover it up. Hee hee

      Delete
  6. That's a very simple, nice, discreet tattoo. I don't mind a single small tattoo, but wow, some of the stuff I see is practically a whole arm or leg or chest or everything covered in ink. Just seems odd to me that anyone would want to be a billboard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know what you mean Judy!! And I'm sure many will live to regret their tattoo. I agree...there's artistic expression and then there's just advertisement. Lol xo

      Delete
  7. I can't remember if you were following me at the time, but a few months ago my daughter sent me a picture of herself with TONS of tattoos all over, including her face. I almost had a heart attack. She assumed I knew they were fake. Well, I didn't and I think ten years were shaved off my life. I am not a fan, but one discreet one is ok I suppose. ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I do remember that & I bow down to her as prank master!! That was awesome (other than scaring you to death part).
      Thanks Hon. ;) Happy weekend! Xo

      Delete
  8. ;) I thought I had spotted that tattoo on your finger in one of your other photos. I have 2 tattoos. But I did them myself when I was 18. At the time my older brother was doing his own with a needle and Indian ink, so I thought why not. He went on to be a tattoo artist, and I never had mine professionally touched up, so they are a bit faded, but still there. I have one on my left ankle that is my own version of the fleur de lis symbol, I just thought it was cool (the fleur de lis symbol comes up in my favorite movie the Three Musketeers, on the shoulder of Countess DeWinter as a symbol for the murder of her husband…yeah…lol…imagine my surprise!!) My other one is a heart on my left hip, like the 80s stuffed animal Care Bears had on them. Had a few friends to call me Care Bear. What can I say I was 18.

    My brother recently tattooed 4 people from the same family who lost one of their loved ones, the oldest person was in their 60s. I thought that was pretty cool. I think it’s such a unique expression of ones self, or a great way to remember a loved one. I like that you were able to create something that is special to you, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this Carrie Ann!
      I love the fleur de lis too. I have relatives from New Orleans and have been there a couple of times and absolutely fell in love with that city! I love the Three Musketeers sybolism. Lol I didn't remember that about the Countess.

      I was a "Care Bear" in school too. ;) So I really love the hip heart. ;)

      I'm with you in that I think tattoos can be a beautiful expression of love and memory...or just creative self. ;) xo

      Delete