Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Blogmas Day Seven: Cookies to be Baked

Hello Friends! I often only get time for myself later at night like this to get to blogmas. But I'm going to keep trying to participate whenever I'm able as I find it so fun! I haven't blogged this much in ages!!  Lol 



BLOGMAS 2016 PROMPTS

Day 1 - The Christmas Tag 
Day 2 - Christmas Movies on the Must Watch List
Day 3 - Christmas Wishlist
Day 4 - Christmas Playlist
Day 5 - Pictures and Memories of Christmas Past
Day 6 - Pot Simmer Recipes
Day 7 - Cookies to be Baked (can be a recipe you make every year, or some you want to try)
Day 8 - Favorite Family Christmas Recipe
Day 9 - How do you decorate?
Day 10 - Real Tree or Artificial Tree
Day 11 - Stocking Stuffer Ideas
Day 12 - Quiet Christmas or Family Filled Loud Party Christmas?
Day 13 - Christmas Cards (do you send them, show us your favorites this year, or tells your favorite cards to send whether vintage, or bright and colorful)
Day 14 - Advent Calendar
Day 15 - Christmas Party Food Ideas
Day 16 - Winter Tag
Day 17 - Christmas Wishes
Day 18 - Homemade or Store Bought (What are you giving this year)
Day 19 - Recap of Christmas 2015 in pictures
Day 20 -  Christmas Decorations Reveal (show us your tree, your home decor, your mantle, anything you want)
Day 21 - Holiday Family Traditions
Day 22 - Preparing for the big day (show us your wrapping skills, are you making lists, getting the house ready for guests?)
Day 23 - Post whatever you wish
Day 24 - Christmas Eve (Are you opening presents tonight, is this your big celebration, what are you doing)
Day 25 - Christmas Day 



I'm joining in with my Friend Sandra from the blog Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for the Blogmas of Christmas this season. You can check her out here and come play along! Here's day 7:



Day 7 - Cookies to be Baked

There are certain desserts that are tradition for Christmas around here.  Homemade pecan pie, and usually pineapple upside down cake. However, cookies, bars and desserts like that vary from year to year.  


I often make almond bars (like I did back when we did Christmas in July), as they're one of my Mom's very favorite! They're light and kind of cherry tasting with crunchy almond slivers on top. They're hard to describe - but they just smell and taste like Christmas to me. Here's the recipe I've kept for many years out of an old Taste of Home magazine:







I am planning to make my Grandma's recipe for cut out cookies, as I haven't made them in years! They're so linked to my childhood memories of Christmas past. 



My Mom used to make homemade popcorn balls - sometimes making them red and green with jello mix. I don't have a recipe for this....I'll have to ask her about it or do some research. But I remember having those several different years when I was young and they were so fun! I think my kiddos would get a kick out of them.  Even if I don't get to them before Christmas maybe they'd be something fun to make together over Christmas break from school.


Some other cookies I have my eye on making this year:


Pistachio Cherry Meltaway Cookies:

These pistachio cherry meltaway cookies you can find on pinterest here.




Here's how to make gingerbread men cookies-- or any shapes you want! Perfectly spiced, flavorful, soft in the centers, keep their shape!:

Maybe some gingerbread men with my Annie. Here's a recipe for softer ones (the way I like them) on pinterest here.





Hot Chocolate Cookies - These delicious rich, soft chocolate cookies are topped with melted chocolate and a gooey marshmallow. They're perfect paired with a mug of steamy hot chocolate! Or great for a holiday party! (And don't forget to enter to win $500 cash with our holiday giveaway!):

These hot chocolate cookies look SO yummy! On pinterest here.






chocolate cherry cookies


And I really want to make these chocolate cherry cookies with this recipe by my friend Doreen at the blog Fox Den Rd you can find here. I think my kiddos will go bonkers for them!  







Making Gingerbread Cookies at Christmastime:

So what fun goodies are you making at your house?? 





9 comments:

  1. Those hot chocolate cookies are calling my name. Sounds like you have some fun recipes planned. Love that little girl graphic. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I get my cards done, I will have to bake. I will make cut outs this year, Springerli has been ordered by son #2, and I would like the grand champion cookie from Taste of Home.
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, those choc cherry cookies have won me, Carrie. You are amazing, doing these daily blogs, and I am enjoying it very much. Today I made choc chip cookies with Canadian grandson No. 2, and we both enjoyed ourselves very much :) Tomorrow I will make a Christmas cake. Making some progress.... happy times xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking I'll devote next week to do a little baking. My silly family pretty much ONLY likes chocolate chip but maybe I can win them over to a few new favorites this year. I did just remember they also like Pizzelle cookies so maybe some of those. Would almond paste just be with the baking stuff at the store? I have almond meal here but no paste and I am very tempted by that almond bar recipe up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond paste is in the baking aisle when you can find it at the grocery store. I've often had better luck finding it in the store during the holiday time. I can't always find it there, though, - so I've also just ordered it online through amazon and I stock up extra that way through the holidays. The almond bars are AWESOME and so worth it! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hope you enjoy your cookie and all of your other baking too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're speaking my language Missy! lol

    Thanks for the shout out, and if you make those cookies keep in mind you'll have leftover condensed milk but no worries! My coconut chocolate chip cookies will make good use of that and OMG, I tried a new to me recipe this week that's outrageous and makes use of it too. I may post it soon.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I never have a problem finding uses for leftover condensed milk Babes! Keep calm and bake on is my motto! ;)

      Delete
  7. These look so good! I'm not making much as I'm trying to lose weight and they would tempt me too much. Bob is good with that - I made his favorite chex mix and fudge so he's happy!

    ReplyDelete