Friday, May 29, 2015

Five on Friday: Summer Decor

Friday is here! Time feels like it's speeding like a freight train around here. We are rapidly approaching my kiddos' last week of school and there are many final events happening. I'm also a PTA member at my daughter's school and I help head a committee that handles our final school carnival, which is the big event they look forward to each year. It's no small task (enough events for 400 students!), but I love being part of it and will miss it once she leaves that school in a few years. So I'm doing lots of work for that right now as well as getting things together for my daughter's birthday party (with her friends) this weekend. Whew!


So for my five today I'm choosing to think summer thoughts and I've been loving, not only planting and decorating outside, but changing my decorations inside as well. So I thought I'd share some top "moments" around our home I've been enjoying.


I've had these "summer" letters forever and I love putting them out each year...although I think Annie loves them more! Is little pool side bear not adorable and doesn't he fit perfectly under the umbrella "R"?? I put these letters on top of my mantle this year.


Our mantle is quite large (takes up one whole wall in our living room) so I get to decorate it with lots of goodies. But at the heart of it I'm loving this new botanical star I picked up. When I found it I knew it was perfect as it matches perfectly with my hydrangea garland I've had for ages. Love when that happens.



Here's a favorite in the dining room in one of the cubbies in my hutch. I love using that tray as the "back drop". I prop it up with something heavy like a candle jar behind it. I've had the "garden" word decoration for several years, but I found this little vase on a recent shopping trip and knew I had to use it in my summer decorating!



Also in the dining room, on top of the barrister book case,  I needed to put out Ms. Bear enjoying her juicy watermelon. And my sweet little garden pillow for her to snuggle against. Annie, of course, really loves these decorations as well and looks for them each year. It's fun to have those bits of whimsy among the more formal decor.







And I'm loving the little centerpiece vignette I threw together on the dining room table this year. I have several plants around my home, and I also love having a bouquet of real flowers I clip from outside or pick up at the grocery store. But I do like using artificial greenery and flowers at times too...and a bonus is you don't need to pluck off dead blooms or water it regularly, right? I love this candle too as I have it on a timer so it gives off a nice glow each night.



So that's my top 5 but I wanted to share a little bonus - did you notice the sweet little linen under Mr. Bird on the table? 


They're some of my favorite things to pick up at antique stores or garage sales...vintage or vintage looking linens and doilies. I think they add such a sweet charm!



We put away the humidifier we need for winter time and put back our table with our little wine rack. And this is one of my favorite recent antique store finds - this pretty poppy linen!  


I'm linking with Amy at Love Made my Home for Five on Friday.

Hope your weekend brings you a warm glow!








31 comments:

  1. Lovely!!!!
    I love your summer touches, my friend!
    Enjoy as you finish up and prepare for summer fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlin Gal! I love your touches too. Your porch looks like the same kind of haven my deck is here.
      Yay for summer thoughts!
      xo

      Delete
  2. Everything looks wonderful! I really love the summer sign, it is just so adorable! I'm all about vintage things too! :-) Have a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I wish that I was able to have more time to vintage shop more often. They really are the best treasures. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  3. Five lovely little moments in your summer decorating!! I love the summer letters and the garden word piece too, they are so pretty. You have a great touch for making your house a real home! The embroidered pieces are very pretty aren't they, a great collection! Thank you so much as always for joining in. I hope that you have a great weekend. Happy Birthday too to Annie!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! If only I were more talented with crochet and stitching like you - I would love more homemade touches around here too.

      HOpe you're having a wonderful weekend too! Annie's party was lots of fun. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love your sweet bears. I used to collect them but had to curb that desire many years ago as it was getting out of hand. :) Lovely summer touches to be found around your home. The birdie on the dining table is very pretty and the vintage linens especially beautiful. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tammy! I know what you mean about how those bears can magically seem to multiply too easily. ;)

      So nice of you to stop by and hope you're having a wonderful weekend!
      xo

      Delete
  5. Beautiful summer décor touches, adorable vignette on the dining table and stunning vintage linen, a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks for such kind comments. They go right to my heart. I love sharing with you lovely folks as it's one way I can kind of welcome you to my home. ;)
      xo happy weekend!!

      Delete
  6. I adore all your decorations especially the 'summer' letters. Just lovely. Have a wonderful weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It's so nice to have you stop by and your kind words mean so much.
      Happy weekend to you!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. They are five/six lovely things, the little poolside bear is adorable. Your mantle must be huge. Have a lovely weekend, good luck with the party and your planning xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa!! My mantle is one of my favorite places to decorate as it is a large canvas!! Annie's party was a great success and lots of fun!
      Happy weekend to you! xo

      Delete
  8. I LOVE the summer letters!! Soooo adorable, makes me want to go to the beach. Have a great weekend hon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! Thanks so much Carrie Anne! I think the same thing when I put them out each year. I have a little sun and sand yankee candle and it smells just like suntan lotion. I put those things out and I'm transported.
      Yay for summer! xoxo

      Delete
  9. I love your summer look and your mantle is beautiful! That star is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I was SO excited when I found it because I knew it was going to fit there perfectly!! Hope you're having a lovey weekend!
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Such fun summery decorating! I love the vintage linens, and the 'garden' sign ... very nice. Have a great weekend!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy!! My hubby just rolls his eyes, but my little knick knacks for the season always make me so happy when I put them out. It's the simple things, right? Lol Happy weekend to you!
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. You're so right Carrie. Time does seem to speed on by with warp speed, doesn't it? But at least you're making the most of it...decorating, cooking and taking care of things at your daughter's school. It's a busy life that you have, but a good one!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw -I could not have said it better myself Doreen! Even in the overwhelming moments I feel incredibly blessed. xoxo

      Delete
  12. Wow, I think you need to come decorate my home! I love all your summer touches. I hope you get a chance to enjoy the carnival with your daughter as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet Jean! My little seasonal decorations make me so happy (& make my hubby roll his eyes- Lol!). But I think when you love things it helps make your house feel like home.
      Happy weekend to you! xo

      Delete
  13. I love the SUMMER block letters! I can definitely imagine myself playing with them as a little girl!
    Enjoy the last week of school. My mom was always on the PTA as well so I know how much time and energy goes into it.
    Hoping you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the SUMMER block letters! I can definitely imagine myself playing with them as a little girl!
    Enjoy the last week of school. My mom was always on the PTA as well so I know how much time and energy goes into it.
    Hoping you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura!! It will be busy but so much fun too. I truly love helping out and being involved that way.
      Happy weekend to you and your beautiful family! xo

      Delete
  15. Hi Carrie, I love those SUMMER letters - although summer hasn't arrived here yet, it's still cold, windy and wet. But what I love most of all is the embroidered linen. We have something in common. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my Dear! I just wish I could do embroidery like that myself....maybe one day! ;)

      I hope summer will show up for you soon. We have a couple nice days and then a day like you described so it's not fully here yet either. I think that's why my little odds and ends make me so happy. ;) happy weekend!! xo

      Delete
  16. I love your seasonal decorations, the star goes perfectly with the hydrangea garland, doesn't it? The vintage linen is beautiful too :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alison! I've been loving how my knick knacks and linens look so far, but maybe it's especially because it's starting to really feel like summer around here. ;)
      xo

      Delete