Saturday, May 9, 2015

Scraptastic Saturday: Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

If you'd like to join in for scraptastic saturday you can click on the link here, or the link in my right hand column.


Today I'm finally sharing those lemon blueberry pancakes! I had a dilemma as I was looking all over for an old recipe I had and sadly couldn't find it. It had been so long since I made them that I don't even remember if it was a recipe I had from a family member - or one I had clipped out from somewhere (I think it was the latter). I remember that recipe had a different ingredient in it....like sour cream, or ricotta or something like that - but instead I made my go to Pioneer Woman recipe! She never lets me down. And these are delicious and lot like my memory of the other yummy ones I made in the past.

Think the taste of lemon cake with some blueberries thrown in - so good!!



First of all, cake flour was called for...however I don't keep that around. No fear you can do what I did which was to substitute (necessity the mother of invention and all that stuff). For every 1 cup of cake flour needed take 1 cup of regular all purpose flour and take out 2 Tbsp of the flour and add 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and then sift it 5 times. Yep, 5 - it's what i read online. I don't know why that's the magic number, but I'll tell you it made for great pancakes!! And you can be messy like me - it's ok (part of the fun of cooking!)


Then you make up your wet ingredients - which calls for evaporated milk. If you don't have that you can substitute 3/4 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup half & half to equal one cup of liquid needed.  You also add fresh squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest (yum) and let it all sit for 5 mins or so. Then mix your wet ingredients into your dry.


You of course then add in delicious blueberries!



Melt butter on a medium hot griddle until bubbles form all over.



Flip 'em when they're nice and golden brown. You can then do what I do which is to keep the oven on warm and keep the breakfast potatoes you already baked in lemon olive oil and seasoning in there, along with the pancakes you're doing in batches. I also cooked sausage and bacon on the stove top while I was making up the pancakes. Serve with warm maple and blueberry syrup (you can see that's what I had on mine in photo below) on the side.


As you can once again see - it makes for a wonderful and hearty breakfast - perfect for Mother's Day tomorrow! Or for breakfast for dinner, which is my favorite way to eat breakfast food! You can find the full recipe for these pancakes here.


Enjoy and Happy Mother's Day to all of my blogland friends celebrating tomorrow!! xoxo






12 comments:

  1. I JUST was reading a lemon blueberry pancake recipe two seconds ago when I saw this. It is on Food Network and it's Trish Yearwoods. She uses sour cream.

    I have a blueberry pancake recipe in a very small cookbook called 'pig out'. It's amazing and it's the only one I've ever come across that doesn't use eggs. They come out nice and fluffy. I was reading the reviews for Trisha's and someone said they were perfect except they were too fluffy! Go figure.

    One thing that is important which I've seen you did is not to be stingy with the butter. They look amazing, and with the potatoes and bacon, we'll all I can say is the north woods aren't that far. I'm on my way. ;)

    Have a wonderful day with your beautiful family tomorrow Carrie!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling Doreen! I'll have to check out that Trisha one to see if that's like the one I had. I'm still determined to find that other recipe too - so if I ever come across it I will share. Pioneer Woman's were fabulous though too! Annie's friend slept over and the next morning there were only 2 pancakes left over (I had made a double batch for in-laws too) and Annie & her friend were fighting over the fact they didnn't want to share and each wanted them both. So I guess that meant they were pretty good. ;)

      Hope you had a wonderful Mom's day dear Gal! xo

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! Happy Mother's Day weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia! Hope you had a wonderful blessed weekend as well! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love the Pioneer Woman! These look yummy. Thanks, and Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't my former recipe - but these really were absolutely delicious! I love Ree too - she never fails me. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  4. Oh my!!!
    Thank you so much!
    I love anything lemon and blueberry. : )
    Happy Mother's Day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon and blueberry are just a match made in heaven aren't they? Hope your weekend as absolutely wonderful too dear Gal! xo

      Delete
  5. Scrummy!! I wish that I could eat the things you cook through the computer because they always look so good!! Happy Mothers day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they ever figure out how to "transmit" food - I'd send you some in a heartbeat Amy! Lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. They look delish Carrie! Can I come and live at yours please - you have such amazing meals :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You're welcome anytime Alison! ;) xo

      Delete